Baseball Gambling Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Gambling Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Gambling Thread

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:37 pm

AussieDodger wrote:American betting seems very different to NZ betting.
NZ betting = very basic. You put on 5 dollar, we give you 1.95 x 5 dollar. Deal? :-D

It isn't any different in basic terms, just laid out differently.

BTW How do you make $0.85 in NZ change?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:43 pm

Tavish wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:American betting seems very different to NZ betting.
NZ betting = very basic. You put on 5 dollar, we give you 1.95 x 5 dollar. Deal? :-D

It isn't any different in basic terms, just laid out differently.

BTW How do you make $0.85 in NZ change?

Wow you're pretty knowledgeable ;-D
Online I think they just give you the 5 cents, but in real-life I think they might round it up.
I haven't put on an in-the-flesh bet in NZ since I was back there at christmas, and I can't really remember what happened with the 5 cents.
The 10 cents are brown all of a sudden too, so it's like "you're next to go b_____!"
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 pm

I like Peavy tonight getting +118 from the Yanks and Rasner. Road Dog I know but I love this one.....Game of the Day for me. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Tavish wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:What is a -280 and a +180?

The money line. IE a game between the Royals and Cardinals might read KC -280 / StL +180. So you would have to bet $280 on the Royals to win $100. If you bet $100 on the Cards you would win $180. Something with that big of a spread on the line says the Royals are clearly the favorite to dominate the Cards.

These are gambling noobs here... I think you should stick to realistic examples to start with.

B-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Tavish wrote:IE a game between the Royals and Cardinals might read KC -280 / StL +180. So you would have to bet $280 on the Royals to win $100. If you bet $100 on the Cards you would win $180. Something with that big of a spread on the line says the Royals are clearly the favorite to dominate the Cards.

Only the difference in the (+ money) and the (- money) is never that much.
The most it will be is around a .20-.30 cent difference.
IE: KC -270 / STL +240
or KC -140 / STL +120

It never gets as high as a full dollar difference.

Yes, with the MLB, it never gets that far apart, though I was just throwing numbers out there.

There are some crazy juices in other sports, though. I've seen Roger Federer at like -6000 in the first round of a grass tournament. Have to put up $600 just to win $1. :-b The NBA money lines get into the -300s as well.

Take it all in, Aussie. Next week we'll talk about parlays. B-)

PS - Not a big fan of any of the games today. No MLB action for me. Though, the Orioles should win outright at home vs Houston, and probably stay under the 9.5 o/u. The -170 juice on Buehrle is too much for me to bet against Gozelanny tonight...

PSS (or is it PPS?) - the actual KC/StL line tonight is Brian Bannister (+117) @ Braden Looper (-127). No thanks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby cardsfan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I gamble on the three main sporting events here in America each and every day. I use an offshore book and have maintained a relationship with them for 8+ years now. http://www.vip.com. Basketball has always been difficult for me in turning a profit. Baseball on the other hand is my bread and butter. I usually carry my winnings from baseball into the football/basketball season. My play of the day is The Cubs with Z. over the Rays and Sonnanstine. It would be nice to have a play of the day thread, but i realize the main focus here is on the fantasy side of sports and it's great for that.

I try to stay away from the games with high juice, -160 or greater. In the long run those are the ones that will take a toll on the bankroll. Hitting 2 of 3 @ -160 only nets you $40 and thats for the nickel players.
2-4 games a day is all i play. G/L all you gamblers!

Lock up the Cubs w/Zambrano @ -120
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jfg » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:
i would be willing to take some chances to help me pay off cursed sallie mae (shakes fist).

I'd think twice. Gambling to pay off debt more often than not leads to more debt you'll never be able to dig out of. Gambling should be a hobby not a way to make ends meet.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 pm

jfg wrote:
WyldStallyn wrote:
i would be willing to take some chances to help me pay off cursed sallie mae (shakes fist).

I'd think twice. Gambling to pay off debt more often than not leads to more debt you'll never be able to dig out of. Gambling should be a hobby not a way to make ends meet.

I agree. Notice in my first post I said I used to pay my bills with gambling money. It definitely needs to be used with extra money, in a recreational fashion. It's a lot easier to lose everything than it is to make even one cent, in the long run.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but should be noted, that gambling on sports tends to desensitize a lot of people, and ruin the enjoyment of watching sports. I was at a point 2 years ago where I couldn't watch a game on TV if I didn't have money on it, regardless of the sport -- I just didn't care unless I had cash riding on it. It's a serious addiction, and the worst part of it is, the only way to feed it is by losing. You don't get that rush when you win; only when you lose, especially when you shouldn't. So as a disclaimer, please be careful. Keep it fun, keep it sexy, and keep it classy.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby RyanK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm

i need to start betting sports... some reason i never really have, and i love to gamble

Ive always thought baseball would be the easiest to make money in if you put in the proper research
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
Tavish wrote:IE a game between the Royals and Cardinals might read KC -280 / StL +180. So you would have to bet $280 on the Royals to win $100. If you bet $100 on the Cards you would win $180. Something with that big of a spread on the line says the Royals are clearly the favorite to dominate the Cards.

Only the difference in the (+ money) and the (- money) is never that much.
The most it will be is around a .20-.30 cent difference.
IE: KC -270 / STL +240
or KC -140 / STL +120

It never gets as high as a full dollar difference.

Yes, with the MLB, it never gets that far apart, though I was just throwing numbers out there.

There are some crazy juices in other sports, though. I've seen Roger Federer at like -6000 in the first round of a grass tournament. Have to put up $600 just to win $1. :-b The NBA money lines get into the -300s as well.

Take it all in, Aussie. Next week we'll talk about parlays. B-)

PS - Not a big fan of any of the games today. No MLB action for me. Though, the Orioles should win outright at home vs Houston, and probably stay under the 9.5 o/u. The -170 juice on Buehrle is too much for me to bet against Gozelanny tonight...

PSS (or is it PPS?) - the actual KC/StL line tonight is Brian Bannister (+117) @ Braden Looper (-127). No thanks.

Betted on ARZ to win and they are definitely taking care of business. Thanks for the site guys! ;-D
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers