Jeff Clement is back - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jeff Clement is back

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jeff Clement is back

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 am

felixthecat011 wrote:Do you guys really think he'll be better than what he showed the first time around?

Yeah, because it's hard to be worse. Honestly though, he is a good hitter and just happened to be flat when he was up the first time. I'd expect decent production out of him to the point of where he'll be worth owning over a few other catchers in fantasy. Just don't expect numbers like he put up in the minor leagues as this is the Mariners we're talking about. :-X
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 am

RedHopeful wrote:
felixthecat011 wrote:Do you guys really think he'll be better than what he showed the first time around?

Yeah, because it's hard to be worse. Honestly though, he is a good hitter and just happened to be flat when he was up the first time. I'd expect decent production out of him to the point of where he'll be worth owning over a few other catchers in fantasy. Just don't expect numbers like he put up in the minor leagues as this is the Mariners we're talking about. :-X

What Red said and I will also add that there was a statement made that alluded to the fact that not getting regular at bats as a catcher but instead as a DH was something that might have been hurting him the last time up.

"He came at a bad time - not that this is any better," manager John McLaren said of Clement. "But I think we're going to try to get him settled better and let him catch and let his mind be on the total game."

Another explanation for his poor showing might have been that 10 of Clement's 13 starts were as the DH for the Mariners this season.

"The only thing about catching is your focus is on handling the pitching staff and calling pitchers, so when you step up to the plate you're not really thinking about it as much," Clement said. "For a DH, sometimes you can carry your at-bat with you until your next at-bat."

Taken from http://www.theolympian.com/mariners/story/482106.html
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Well, whatever his problem was last time, it wasn't playing time. He was in the lineup EVERY day for 2-3 weeks. One thing I thought was weird -- when they finally gave up on him, he was just starting to show signs of life. A couple multi-hit games, including one with a double and a triple -- and then he had an 0fer and they sent him down. I was starting to get pumped on the guy again...and he was gone.

Maybe the DH thing was a problem. Or maybe he was a little bit over-excited that first time, and he's returning with a little perspective now. Anyway, hopefully the results will be a little better...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:38 pm

if he catches tonight... will he be eligible at the position tommorow? i'm trying to figure out when to claim him off the fa list, and i'm getting yancy in case someone else is eyeing him right now...
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby aberry33 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 pm

Including tonight, he hasn't done much since being called up.

Yes I realize it's only been a couple of games. Hopefully the light turns on in his head and he starts hitting MLB pitching.
aberry33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 am

PavanoAllstars wrote:if he catches tonight... will he be eligible at the position tommorow? i'm trying to figure out when to claim him off the fa list, and i'm getting yancy in case someone else is eyeing him right now...

He's eligible in my league after his 5th start behind the plate tonight. ;-D I just hope Yahoo gets the change made tomorrow because I have to set my lineup before Sunday...
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:27 am

Simulacrum wrote:
PavanoAllstars wrote:if he catches tonight... will he be eligible at the position tommorow? i'm trying to figure out when to claim him off the fa list, and i'm getting yancy in case someone else is eyeing him right now...

He's eligible in my league after his 5th start behind the plate tonight. ;-D I just hope Yahoo gets the change made tomorrow because I have to set my lineup before Sunday...

Ugh!!! As of 7:25AM he's still not showing C eligibility in Y!

Edit:Y! just updated to reflect C eligibility.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ididapoopy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:58 pm

hopefully he'll be able to hit like he did in the PCL.

he's been an outmaker thus far...maybe it had to do w/ limited playing time in his 1st go rd..but that's still TBD.

maybe his hr will get him going....he can't possibly be as bad as he shown....
ididapoopy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:08 pm

I added him tonight after I saw he hit a homer and a double(I had Johjima up until a week ago...) I think he's capable of good, maybe great, things... he was called up at the end of last year and looked great and his numbers at AAA were sick, he's got the tools and today showed his potential... we shall see...
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bluebledthesea » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 pm

He's still showing only DH eligibility on ESPN. He's at 8/10 games for C, ugh...
bluebledthesea Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates