Jeff Clement is back - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jeff Clement is back

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Clement is back

Postby provpike » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 pm

He looks to be back now...do you think he is worth a number 2 catcher position this time?
provpike
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff Clement is back

Postby hwiggen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:21 pm

The question for me is playing time. I'd like to take a flyer on him but is he going to get consistent ABs?
Maybe some Mariners fans can give us some good info. And while their at it maybe someone can answer one of the great mysteries of major league baseball: why the heck is Jose Vidro the starting DH?!
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Noah_B » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:59 pm

hwiggen wrote:The question for me is playing time. I'd like to take a flyer on him but is he going to get consistent ABs?
Maybe some Mariners fans can give us some good info. And while their at it maybe someone can answer one of the great mysteries of major league baseball: why the heck is Jose Vidro the starting DH?!

Clement: Kenji often takes a day off after a night game, which provides some opportunities. Burke hasn't looked that comfortable behind the plate nor at the plate... Calling Clement up was the first move that the interim GM (Lee Pelekoudas) made, literally hours after the Bavasi firing. So my educated guess would be: New management is looking to implement him sooner than later, so look for him to get some starts and possibly some ABs at DH.

Vidro: It's been mentioned/rumored in our local sports news, here in Seattle, that the front office has hinted/discussed/considering dropping Vidro to Triple A in an attempt to, get his stuff together or have him request a trade!? I really have no idea but this guy (Vidro) is a joke, you can almost make a case that he's a better start at First than, the horrible, Sexson... and that's not saying a lot.

I really can't answer the second question...I don't know why McLaren is thinking but a pink slip has to be in the back of his mind. New upper management will hopefully lean on him enough to get a revamped line-up.

PS. Celtics just won
Noah_B
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wildcatmatt27 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:07 am

They are saying over at yahoo that he will play everyday. They said he will see time at first, DH and catcher. I just picked him up in my league, dropped Wellemeyer as he is having arm problems and is my worst pitcher on my roster.
wildcatmatt27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 am

sounds like the mariners intend him to be the primary catcher and to play every day... I just may drop Johjima and pick him up if he shows the hot bat he's swung throughout the minors
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:32 am

PavanoAllstars wrote:sounds like the mariners intend him to be the primary catcher and to play every day... I just may drop Johjima and pick him up if he shows the hot bat he's swung throughout the minors

His weakness has been hitting lefties. However if he can figure it out the fact that they are commited to him playing everyday means that he already has an edge over most catchers in the league whom share time or get a day or two off every week.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:54 am

how many more starts behind the plate until he gets catcher eligibility in yahoo? anyone know?
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am

PavanoAllstars wrote:how many more starts behind the plate until he gets catcher eligibility in yahoo? anyone know?

2 more starts and he'll be eligible. He has 3, needs 5.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Postby felixthecat011 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 am

Do you guys really think he'll be better than what he showed the first time around?

(And I'm not asking this question to be a wise-@$$, I'm just a little skeptical based on what he did earlier in the year. The answer could be as simple as "regular playing time will help".)
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 am

felixthecat011 wrote:Do you guys really think he'll be better than what he showed the first time around?

(And I'm not asking this question to be a wise-@$$, I'm just a little skeptical based on what he did earlier in the year. The answer could be as simple as "regular playing time will help".)

Sure. Regular playing time will help. :-) Not to mention the fact that he really can't get any worse.

He only got about a week and a half to two weeks pt in his last stint (56 pas). Anyone can slump for that long. He's got good minor league numbers, and as you said, he will be playing regularly, so I think he'll be close to what everyone expected. (Course, don't expect to see his 2008 minor league numbers. 1 hr every 12 abs ain't gonna happen.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates