David Price still in Advanced A? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

David Price still in Advanced A?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: David Price still in Advanced A?

Postby King Tim » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:36 pm

MadMobius wrote:Don't the Rays have a team philosophy of guys pitching 200 innings in the minors before they get their shot? Besides, it's not like Price is next in line to start at the major league level, that team is so loaded with top tier pitching it's ridiculous. Seems like Hellickson would be the next in line to get promoted to AA unless he's dealing with some sort of injury (came out of a perfect game on June 5 and then only threw two innings on June 17th)... anyone know?

blister on the 5th
rain on the 17th

Price will be promoted before Hell Boy
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:55 pm

News: After a month in Class A, Rays SP David Price was promoted to Double-A Montgomery on Saturday evening. The Rays' No. 1 pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, Price was 4-0 with a 1.82 ERA in six starts with Vero Beach.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 pm

theprospectcorner wrote:Sunday, July 20, 2008
Trevor Cahill vs. Brett Anderson vs. David Price

Besides Clayton Kershaw, there aren't many pitching prospects getting as much attention as David Price, Trevor Cahill, and Brett Anderson. Of those 3, Price is garnering the most hype, but Cahill and Anderson have been putting up some great numbers this year, and they are both beginning to draw some national attention.

With all the attention comes some good natured arguments about which pitching prospect has the most potential. A lot of prospect ranking sites are giving the #1 spot to David Price, but Cahill and Anderson are both very talented and deserve to be in the same sentence as Price.

So, let's play a game. I'm just going to put up each pitcher's minor league numbers from this year all at once, but I'm going to throw in a twist and explain what it all means in a minute.

Here's how the game works. I marked out the player names and ages so that we could first have an unbiased discussion about where each player would rank if they were all at the same level, and the same age. I'm also assuming that none of you have memorized each pitchers' stat lines before reading this (if you look at the stats for just a second you can probably figure out which stat line goes with which pitcher, but that would ruin the fun of this exercise). Take a quick glance at the stats, and then make a mental list ranking Pitchers A, B, and C as either the #1, #2, or #3 pitcher you would want on your team.

Just looking at the A+ ball stats, Pitcher A would be the guy I would want on my team. He has good control, a good K/9 rate, and a very healthy GB%. After that, I would have a hard time choosing between Pitcher B and Pitcher C. If you go with B, you sacrifice control for a higher K/9 rate and GB%, but if you go with C, you get fewer walks at the cost of a significantly lower GB%. I would probably go with Pitcher B simply because BB/9 rates come down easier than K/9 and GB% rates go up.

And now we move on to AA stats. We don't have a great sample size to work with, but I would still go with Pitcher A. His K/9 is much better than the other 2, his GB% is also the highest of the 3, and his control is very close to being the best. After that, I would once again be stuck between Pitcher B and Pitcher C, but I would probably still go with Pitcher B simply due to the high GB%.

You may or may not have a list similar to mine, but let's move on and put some names and ages next to our stat lines.

When I first looked at each player's stats, I thought I was going to go with Cahill as my #1 choice. But I was surprised to learn that I'd actually pick Anderson if I went off of a nameless list of stats. Another interesting point to make is that once you throw in the age factor, the difference between Pitcher B (Cahill) and Pitcher C (Price) is much greater than it was when we were ignoring age in our consideration of the #2 and #3 spots.

While the popular consensus is that Price is the #1 pitching prospect, once you look at the stats, there really is no logical reason to say that Price is better than Cahill or Anderson. In fact, I feel very confident in saying that Anderson and Cahill are considerably more talented than Price, and that Price easily ranks well behind the other 2 pitchers. I'll go so far as to say that Price ranks behind other guys like Madison Bumgarner, Jaime Garcia, Jeremy Jeffress, and Gio Gonzalez.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm down on Price. I think he'll be a very good major league pitcher, but he won't be great. He hasn't dominated hitters at any level, and his numbers are slowly regressing as he moves closer to the majors. Meanwhile, younger pitchers are posting better numbers with much less fanfare.

To conclude, I'd like to give comparable pitchers for Anderson, Cahill, and Price, as well as a score on my "Dirty, Nasty, Filthy" chart and leave it at that.

Brett Anderson
Comparable Pitcher: Brandon Webb
Score: Nasty (85/100)

Trevor Cahill
Comparable Pitcher: Francisco Liriano
Score: Nasty (84/100)

David Price
Comparable Pitcher: Justin Verlander
Score: Dirty (71/100)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ataraxia » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:32 pm

That's odd... I've routinely seen David Price ranked ahead of those guys.

And if I were given the choice, I'd choose Price over those guys anyway.
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:49 pm

David Price has started 7 games with the Biscuits:

RECORD: 5 - 0

IP 45
H 35

ERA 2.20
WHIP 1.04

Ks 38
BBs 12

Totals incl hi A ball stats

RECORD: 9 - 0

IP 70.2
H 63

ERA 2.03
WHIP 1.16

Ks 75
BBs 19

;-D

The Rays, to me, blinked at the trade deadline by not making a deal for anyone. If they aren't serious in making a run then I would think Price stays in the minors. But the kid, at 22, is just too good to ignore. He most definitely will help them down the stretch. The Rays can not compete with the big boys for 2 more months without adding lightning like David Price.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Montana168 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:50 am

anyone read the frontpage article on david price on yahoo yet? they're basically saying everyone should be a on a "price watchout" from now on because he is so good that the yahoo 'fantasy team' could add him to the database at any time. pretty stupid idea if you ask me.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby killa3312 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:23 am

I'd take Price over any pitcher in the minors (save maybe Kershaw) regardless of whether or not other pitchers are putting up sexier stats across the board (BTW, Price's GB ratio has to be higher than 51%, he gets a ton). Price hasn't struck out guys quite like I thought he would yet (although he had 10 in his last start), but he struck out a ton in college and I'd take a guy with his pedigree and background over two unproven youngsters like Cahill and Anderson.

Minor league stats only mean so much and age in pitchers is overrated (Randy Johnson didn't make his debut until he was 25) because they usually take more time to develop and some don't develop until very late. A perfect example I can give you is James Shields. He wasn't even on the Rays' radar entering 2005 (when he would turn 24 in December), but started putting it all together that season and the rest is history from there... he's become a very good MLB pitcher.

Price has better stuff than both Cahill and Anderson (neither of them can touch 98 MPH on their heater like Price can), and it's not like he's putting up weak stats... he's 10-0 with a 1.98 ERA and .214 BAA in two levels of the minors. He's going to be an awesome MLB pitcher.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:30 am

i don't think anyone will argue with you that david price is a bigger prospect than anderson/cahill. he is by far the best pitching prospect in the minors right now (that title belonged to kershaw but he's back with the big club).
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball