David Price still in Advanced A? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

David Price still in Advanced A?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Price still in Advanced A?

Postby yanks924 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:49 pm

28.1 IP 3 - 0 1.27 ERA .99 WHIP 30 K

Im not a minor league expert but I would think they have to put him in AA ball soon right?
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price still in Advanced A?

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:52 am

He's only been a professional baseball player for a little over 3 weeks, give it some time.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 am

The Rays in the past have moved their pitching prospects extremely slow through the minors. Case in point Wade Davis last year. If Davis pitched for most other organizations, he would probably already be in the majors. I am not saying Price will still be in the minors for another 2 years, but don't expect him to be busted up to the majors like Lincecum was last year with the Giants.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 am

raiders_umpire wrote:The Rays in the past have moved their pitching prospects extremely slow through the minors. Case in point Wade Davis last year. If Davis pitched for most other organizations, he would probably already be in the majors. I am not saying Price will still be in the minors for another 2 years, but don't expect him to be busted up to the majors like Lincecum was last year with the Giants.

Normally I'd agree but I'm curious about whether management changes their approach the longer Tampa Bay has a legitimate chance for the playoffs. Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine are hardly locks and I'd be worried about having to rely on either at this point down the stretch...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:The Rays in the past have moved their pitching prospects extremely slow through the minors. Case in point Wade Davis last year. If Davis pitched for most other organizations, he would probably already be in the majors. I am not saying Price will still be in the minors for another 2 years, but don't expect him to be busted up to the majors like Lincecum was last year with the Giants.

Normally I'd agree but I'm curious about whether management changes their approach the longer Tampa Bay has a legitimate chance for the playoffs. Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine are hardly locks and I'd be worried about having to rely on either at this point down the stretch...

It is possible that we see Price in Tampa later in the year if the Rays are still in contention and if the Rays don't make a trade for a veteran starter.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby yanks924 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm

I know it has only been 3 weeks and Im not expecting him to be in the Majors this year. But just because hes only been in professional baseball for 3 weeks doesn't mean he is not worthy of being brought up to AA. If his stuff is as good as everyone says it is and he k's a-rod twice he obviously has the stuff to compete at the major league level.
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:07 pm

He wasn't put in high A to move 3 weeks to AA.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:38 pm

yanks924 wrote:I know it has only been 3 weeks and Im not expecting him to be in the Majors this year. But just because hes only been in professional baseball for 3 weeks doesn't mean he is not worthy of being brought up to AA. If his stuff is as good as everyone says it is and he k's a-rod twice he obviously has the stuff to compete at the major league level.

Teams prefer being overly cautious and starting a guy out on weaker competition anyway. It's hard to get a read from only a few starts. Who knows, maybe teams can start figuring him out a bit once teams have seen him. Obviously, I doubt it happens in High A but either way, it makes more sense to build confidence from start against weaker competition than just throwing a guy into the fire.

Matt Wieters, on the other hand, has no business in High A anymore.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby yanks924 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:39 am

yea i guess so, i guess i just have my hopes to high on him getting to the majors this year.
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadMobius » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Don't the Rays have a team philosophy of guys pitching 200 innings in the minors before they get their shot? Besides, it's not like Price is next in line to start at the major league level, that team is so loaded with top tier pitching it's ridiculous. Seems like Hellickson would be the next in line to get promoted to AA unless he's dealing with some sort of injury (came out of a perfect game on June 5 and then only threw two innings on June 17th)... anyone know?
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball