Jeff Clement - called back up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Clement - called back up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jeff Clement - called back up

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:23 pm

[quote="BALCO All-Stars"]Per Sportsline:

Clement back up with Mariners

Jeff Clement, C SEA
News: The Mariners recalled catcher Jeff Clement and sent down struggling Wladimir Balentien on Tuesday.
Analysis: Clement has some obvious thunder in his bat, but he is still without a full-time position at this point. He will hit in the major leagues. The question is how much and how consistently right now. Consider him a must-have in AL-only leagues and flier in deeper mixed formats.

He obviously flopped during his first call up, but will he be the full time catcher since Kenji has been an offensive disappointment? Clement has RAKED since being sent back down (something like a .330 AVG and 9 HR)...thoughts?[/quote]

I do not even think offense is the main concern with Jojima. Supposedly his Japanese approach to calling pitches is being widely blamed for the Seattle SP woes (the Japanese pitch management approach is apparently less aggressive than what US pitchers are used to). Taken together with the offensive mediocrity, this gives mea strong suspicion that Jojima is not long for this world and that Clement may get more looks at C than people think.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:27 pm

stumpak wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:Per Sportsline:

Clement back up with Mariners

Jeff Clement, C SEA
News: The Mariners recalled catcher Jeff Clement and sent down struggling Wladimir Balentien on Tuesday.
Analysis: Clement has some obvious thunder in his bat, but he is still without a full-time position at this point. He will hit in the major leagues. The question is how much and how consistently right now. Consider him a must-have in AL-only leagues and flier in deeper mixed formats.

He obviously flopped during his first call up, but will he be the full time catcher since Kenji has been an offensive disappointment? Clement has RAKED since being sent back down (something like a .330 AVG and 9 HR)...thoughts?

I do not even think offense is the main concern with Jojima. Supposedly his Japanese approach to calling pitches is being widely blamed for the Seattle SP woes (the Japanese pitch management approach is apparently less aggressive than what US pitchers are used to). Taken together with the offensive mediocrity, this gives mea strong suspicion that Jojima is not long for this world and that Clement may get more looks at C than people think.

Except, for some retarded reason no one understands, Johjima signed a 3 year extension this year.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:22 pm

You guys act like the struggles of a pitching staff lie completely on the catcher. Like the pitching coach doesn't call pitches from the dugout much of the time. And the pitcher doesn't have final say with the ability to shake off the catcher's sign...

And I've said this before and I'll probably say it again... The Johjima extension is rumored to have come directly from the Japanese ownership. So it's not a Bavasi thing or "we hate Clement" thing or anything like that. Rumor also has it that there is a gentleman's agreement that if Joh starts slipping (and maybe this year is the beginning of the slip, tough to say) then he'll simply walk away and go back to Japan. Sasaki did the same thing a few years back so it's not unheard of.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:42 pm

I just need one more start form Clement at C and then I don't care where the hell he plays. :-°
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:You guys act like the struggles of a pitching staff lie completely on the catcher. Like the pitching coach doesn't call pitches from the dugout much of the time. And the pitcher doesn't have final say with the ability to shake off the catcher's sign...

And I've said this before and I'll probably say it again... The Johjima extension is rumored to have come directly from the Japanese ownership. So it's not a Bavasi thing or "we hate Clement" thing or anything like that. Rumor also has it that there is a gentleman's agreement that if Joh starts slipping (and maybe this year is the beginning of the slip, tough to say) then he'll simply walk away and go back to Japan. Sasaki did the same thing a few years back so it's not unheard of.

Exactly what I was going to say...
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:31 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I just need one more start form Clement at C and then I don't care where the hell he plays. :-°

What about bench warmer? :-b
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:18 am

I've about had it with the Mariners.... These crap veterans are playing more than Jeff.... :-t :-t :-t :-[
MIGUEL FREAKING CAIRO AND JOSE FREAKING VIDRO !!!!
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zepfan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:20 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:I've about had it with the Mariners.... These crap veterans are playing more than Jeff.... :-t :-t :-t :-[
MIGUEL FREAKING CAIRO AND JOSE FREAKING VIDRO !!!!

Still, Clement hasn't really done himself any favours by hitting terribly since his second callup. He's shown some nice power but his average is brutal. I'm gonna wait until he starts hitting with more consistency before I consider him a decent option.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers