Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby interchange » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Yoda wrote:He is not 25 even if he is healthy. A pitcher doesn't go from nothing to top 25 just because he has a few good starts. There are exceptions obviously but Duchs is not.


I disagree. If he were a full-time starter with a couple of 200IP seasons behind him, then he would easily be a top-25 SP.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 561
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:14 pm

interchange wrote:
Yoda wrote:He is not 25 even if he is healthy. A pitcher doesn't go from nothing to top 25 just because he has a few good starts. There are exceptions obviously but Duchs is not.


I disagree. If he were a full-time starter with a couple of 200IP seasons behind him, then he would easily be a top-25 SP.


Those are a whole lot of if's and we are not even accounting for his health.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Yoda wrote:
interchange wrote:
Yoda wrote:He is not 25 even if he is healthy. A pitcher doesn't go from nothing to top 25 just because he has a few good starts. There are exceptions obviously but Duchs is not.


I disagree. If he were a full-time starter with a couple of 200IP seasons behind him, then he would easily be a top-25 SP.


Those are a whole lot of if's and we are not even accounting for his health.


I'm not saying that there aren't 25 pitchers I'd rather have than him... I'm just saying that given his situation, IF he stays healthy, he's a solid bet to end the year with numbers that place him in the top 25 statistically.

That said, he's not a solid bet to stay healthy. So he's not a solid bet to finish top 25 overall.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:02 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I'm not saying that there aren't 25 pitchers I'd rather have than him... I'm just saying that given his situation, IF he stays healthy, he's a solid bet to end the year with numbers that place him in the top 25 statistically.

That said, he's not a solid bet to stay healthy. So he's not a solid bet to finish top 25 overall.


Even if he stayed healthy, can you really expect him to be a top 25 pitcher? I'm betting not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby interchange » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Yoda wrote:
interchange wrote:
Yoda wrote:He is not 25 even if he is healthy. A pitcher doesn't go from nothing to top 25 just because he has a few good starts. There are exceptions obviously but Duchs is not.


I disagree. If he were a full-time starter with a couple of 200IP seasons behind him, then he would easily be a top-25 SP.


Those are a whole lot of if's and we are not even accounting for his health.


The scenario is yours not mine. You say if we disregard health, he's not a top 25 SP. I say he is definitely.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 561
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:34 pm

interchange wrote:
Yoda wrote:
interchange wrote:I disagree. If he were a full-time starter with a couple of 200IP seasons behind him, then he would easily be a top-25 SP.


Those are a whole lot of if's and we are not even accounting for his health.


The scenario is yours not mine. You say if we disregard health, he's not a top 25 SP. I say he is definitely.


Except he has been a full time starter for 10 starts in his entire career and exactly zero 200 IP seasons behind him (see your first post). So how is he top 25 SP if he is healthy again?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby interchange » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Yoda wrote:Except he has been a full time starter for 10 starts in his entire career and exactly zero 200 IP seasons behind him (see your first post). So how is he top 25 SP if he is healthy again?


I didn't say "If he had 200IP seasons with 3.00 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 170K". I said 200IP seasons. I was using the 200IP seasons as an indicator that he would have a history of health. He obviously doesn't. But that doesn't matter. We are arguing how good he is when he's healthy and is a SP and if we assume those for the rest of the year. I do think that his value is being passed over by people like you simply because he doesn't have a history as a SP.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 561
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm

I think Top 25 is a stretch even if nearly all the cards fall into place. I could see him settling into the Top 40, Top 35 maybe, but I think Top 25 is too big a stretch for Duch.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 348)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 am

Great start tonight i have him as my #4 and very happy with it!
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
(Past Year: 57)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:14 am

Top 25 easily if he stays healthy.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1075
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact