Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby Great Gazoo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 am

I have yet to see him pitch or even hear anyone actually prononunce his name on TV. What are some observations that people have seen. Do you think he will be able to stay healthy? Is there a decent shot for him to sustain close to this level of success? Or is he a time bomb waiting to explode?
Great Gazoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Duchscherer the rest of the way?

Postby interchange » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:35 am

All of his numbers every step of his career have been solid. Not spectacular, but solid. His issues haven't ever been with his pitching ability. They've been with his health. Still, he's a control pitcher in a great pitcher's ballpark that manages to strikeout a fair share of batters. He's producing better than expected, and I wouldn't pick him to be this good the rest of the way, but I would definitely pick him to produce at a useful level.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Relentless » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Great Gazoo wrote:I have yet to see him pitch or even hear anyone actually prononunce his name on TV. What are some observations that people have seen. Do you think he will be able to stay healthy? Is there a decent shot for him to sustain close to this level of success? Or is he a time bomb waiting to explode?

There ya go. He will continue and produce a lot of quality outings, but if there is anything that will limit him, it will be his health. But if he can stay healthy, he will definitely be a top-15 SP by the end of the year.

I have already seen him pitched a few times. The control that he possesses with his pitches is just amazing. He doesn't overpower people, but he sure can paint those corners.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:13 pm

Relentless wrote:
Great Gazoo wrote:I have yet to see him pitch or even hear anyone actually prononunce his name on TV. What are some observations that people have seen. Do you think he will be able to stay healthy? Is there a decent shot for him to sustain close to this level of success? Or is he a time bomb waiting to explode?

There ya go. He will continue and produce a lot of quality outings, but if there is anything that will limit him, it will be his health. But if he can stay healthy, he will definitely be a top-15 SP by the end of the year.

I have already seen him pitched a few times. The control that he possesses with his pitches is just amazing. He doesn't overpower people, but he sure can paint those corners.

Top 15 SP?

He will get hurt at some point. He couldn't stay healthy in the pen so how will he be healthier in the rotation?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:51 pm

I've been trying to deal him but no one wants him, so I guess it's best to just stick with him since I know he will give me good starts..he's just an injury risk.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Relentless » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Yoda wrote:
Relentless wrote:

Top 15 SP?

He will get hurt at some point. He couldn't stay healthy in the pen so how will he be healthier in the rotation?

I don't know how else I can explain myself. The "But" is a key word.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Relentless wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Relentless wrote:There ya go. He will continue and produce a lot of quality outings, but if there is anything that will limit him, it will be his health. But if he can stay healthy, he will definitely be a top-15 SP by the end of the year.

Top 15 SP?

I don't know how else I can explain myself. The "But" is a key word.

It's more like the "IF" is the key word. He's always had solid peripherals. He should be a ratio wizard, especially if your league counts K/BB, as long as he can stay on the field. Sure top 15 SP is a long shot, but only because him staying healthy is a long shot. It has absolutely nothing to do with his ability.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Actually, you're right, 15 is still a stretch, more like top 25. I wouldn't be comfortable with him as a #3 either, mainly because the injury risk with him is fairly significant. He would be a solid 3 if healthy though.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:56 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Actually, you're right, 15 is still a stretch, more like top 25. I wouldn't be comfortable with him as a #3 either, mainly because the injury risk with him is fairly significant. He would be a solid 3 if healthy though.

He is not 25 even if he is healthy. A pitcher doesn't go from nothing to top 25 just because he has a few good starts. There are exceptions obviously but Duchs is not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers