Marcus Thames - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Thames

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marcus Thames

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:51 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:"But those at-bats never came as Thames struggled to hit right-handers consistently and was an average fielder at best.

He's torn up both of those old tags this season.

Thames is hitting .292 with eight homers and 15 RBI against righties, and he's making big plays in the field. Last year he hit .209 against right-handers.

His best recent plays were a diving catch to rob Giants catcher Bengie Molina of a hit and save a run, and a running, leaping grab against the fence at Comerica Park to thwart Delwyn Young of the Dodgers.

All that work with Tigers outfield coach Andy Van Slyke since the 2006 season is paying off. "
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... thispage=2

IMO he's still a below-average fielder...me and my friends call him Easy Thames because he never seems to have much urgency getting to a ball out there
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
gatorgreenwell wrote:"But those at-bats never came as Thames struggled to hit right-handers consistently and was an average fielder at best.

Thames is hitting .292 with eight homers and 15 RBI against righties, and he's making big plays in the field. Last year he hit .209 against right-handers.

His best recent plays were a diving catch to rob Giants catcher Bengie Molina of a hit and save a run, and a running, leaping grab against the fence at Comerica Park to thwart Delwyn Young of the Dodgers.

All that work with Tigers outfield coach Andy Van Slyke since the 2006 season is paying off. "

IMO he's still a below-average fielder...me and my friends call him Easy Thames because he never seems to have much urgency getting to a ball out there

When you say "Me and my friends" do you mean you and your pron collection?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 am

acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

oops...i mean me and my collection of Real Dolls :-b

...and whoever else can fit into the Candy Van

P.S. Thames hit another HR

When you say "Me and my friends" do you mean you and your pron collection?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby s221506 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Is Thames back into a platoon situation? Looks like Thomas is getting a chance to earn some PT.
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:22 pm

s221506 wrote:Is Thames back into a platoon situation? Looks like Thomas is getting a chance to earn some PT.

No. Leyland gives almost all of his players about a day off a week....especially day games following night games. Notice that Renteria is not playing today either.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm

I am beginning to wonder if this is more than a hot streak. He's been hitting like this for a while now, and it hasn't been all power. He's spreading the ball all over the field and striking out at a lower rate. Obviously he won't finish the season at .285, but man it really looks like he's developing into a dangerous hitter.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:19 pm

I would never use Thames as anything other than a platoon OF against LHP.

With Ordonez out he is going to play most days but in anything other than AL leagues I wouldn't use him as a full time starter.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:12 am

NZ Eff wrote:I would never use Thames as anything other than a platoon OF against LHP.

With Ordonez out he is going to play most days but in anything other than AL leagues I wouldn't use him as a full time starter.

he was playing most days before Ordonez went down :-? he's the full time LF and probably will win AL player of the month

i'd have a hard time sitting him right now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ididapoopy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:03 pm

thames has been a big reason the tigers have gone on this streak...

thames is a hitting machine...lol
ididapoopy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers