Marcus Thames

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marcus Thames

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:03 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
gatorgreenwell wrote:Friday, May 30, 2008
Thames will get to play every day
He now has a job in left field and, as long as he hits, he'll get a chance to keep it, Leyland says.

Lol, he's had this chance before with the Tigers, but everytime his slump hits, he's been sat down. I don't see this being anything different. Once he cools significantly, he'll be platooned once again.

Wrong. There's no other options in left field right now, not that it would matter. Thames has shown he deserves the playing time, and he will get it. With Inge and Pudge rotating every other day behind the plate, Guillen won't be taking any of his at bats either because he'll be playing at third at least every other day. Sheffield can't risk further injury to his shoulder either. He'll continue to start, get 3 or 4 at bats, and be replaced for defensive purposes by Clevlen until he gets called back down.

I'd love to be wrong, but considering his career major league totals, it's hard to be that excited by someone has had surges like this in the past and then just disappeared. He's past his peak and for some reason has never put together 1 solid major league season. Minors are, on the other hand, a different story as he's had several great seasons. Not sure why his BB/K ratios are so horrible in the majors, but I fear he's destined to be a AAAA player.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Surges? The guy's career AB/HR is between 11 and 12. Right now it's almost 2 AB ahead of the nearest player (Dunn). He just never gets full playing time. He hit 26 HR in 110 games two years ago and 18 in 86 last year. Extrapolate that crap and you're looking at about 35 HR. When did he disappear? He slumps like every other power hitter does. It's just that the Tigers have been so deep the last few seasons they haven't had a full-time slot to give him. Leyland loves the guy, and I'd expect him to definitely see the majority of the at-bats out of LF from now on.

Also notice that his career splits are much more favorable against LHP, yet the last five homers he's hit were all off RHP including Lincecum who had only given up three all year prior to last night. I'd bet he hits over 30 this year.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby hett2333 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:19 pm

If you had to choose between Marcus Thames or Adam Laroche the rest of the way, who would you go with?
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseballin storm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 am

Just hit another bomb. Fifth game ina a row. Last 8 hits have been homeruns. Crazy run he's on.
baseballin storm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 am

another homer :-)
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:45 am

as some have said, he's never had an opportunity to be an everyday player and his career HR:AB ratio is flat out sick...guy can flat out rake, although it seems to be HR or nothing for him. i really think over a full season he could hit 40+ bombs (probably only bat .240 though)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:25 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:as some have said, he's never had an opportunity to be an everyday player and his career HR:AB ratio is flat out sick...guy can flat out rake, although it seems to be HR or nothing for him. i really think over a full season he could hit 40+ bombs (probably only bat .240 though)

a la Adam Dunn esc.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:as some have said, he's never had an opportunity to be an everyday player and his career HR:AB ratio is flat out sick...guy can flat out rake, although it seems to be HR or nothing for him. i really think over a full season he could hit 40+ bombs (probably only bat .240 though)

This is true, and as he shows more of his power, teams will start to pitch around him.....making him even more comparable to Dunn.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:

This is true, and as he shows more of his power, teams will start to pitch around him.....making him even more comparable to Dunn.

My thinking too. The more he plays the more pitchers will find his weak spot-just keep the ball outside. He is a great role player but if he starts every day he will end up getting exposed. I would love to be wrong.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gatorgreenwell » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 am

"But those at-bats never came as Thames struggled to hit right-handers consistently and was an average fielder at best.

He's torn up both of those old tags this season.

Thames is hitting .292 with eight homers and 15 RBI against righties, and he's making big plays in the field. Last year he hit .209 against right-handers.

His best recent plays were a diving catch to rob Giants catcher Bengie Molina of a hit and save a run, and a running, leaping grab against the fence at Comerica Park to thwart Delwyn Young of the Dodgers.

All that work with Tigers outfield coach Andy Van Slyke since the 2006 season is paying off. "
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... thispage=2
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers