Marcus Thames - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Thames

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marcus Thames

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 am

Marcus is hitting a lot of home runs lately, if you need some HR might be a guy worth picking up now that he's playing pretty much every day. even in limited PT the last few years the guy has had an outrageous HR:AB ratio (something like a HR every 12 AB...i'm too lazy to look it up but its somewhere in that range)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marcus Thames

Postby markj11 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:Marcus is hitting a lot of home runs lately, if you need some HR might be a guy worth picking up now that he's playing pretty much every day. even in limited PT the last few years the guy has had an outrageous HR:AB ratio (something like a HR every 12 AB...i'm too lazy to look it up but its somewhere in that range)

It might be too late. The guy is/went on a very hot streak, his last 7 hits are HR. What's the odds of that continuing? I feel like if you picked him up now you already missed out. But I could just be sour because my revolving door of hot catchers has my C spot at: .196avg 2HR 9 R 22 RBI.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:48 am

I've been hyping Thames for about a week now.....

AquaMan2342 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:.....Hopefully my first post was ignored. Anyways....about Thames. If you need power and are looking around the waiver wire, I'd really look hard at him. He's finally getting a lot of playing time, and has always had a great HR/AB ratio. He won't help your average, but he'll definitely be a help in the power categories.

Just in case you guys didn't get the memo the first time.

Third straight game.

Anyways, he obviously won't hit one every game, but he's still a solid pickup as long as you are needing power. Especially against lefties.....and the good news is he's finding his stroke against righties now too.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby ididapoopy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 pm

this guy deserved a longer look a long time ago as a full time player..

they pigeon holed him into the ignorant half of a platoon on a great hitting team..

no doubt in my mind he would be amongst the league leaders in hrs w/ a full time gig...

dunno bout the avg......but he's fortunate to be given this chance....
ididapoopy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Relentless » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:40 pm

I've always believed on this guy. I thought that if he only got the chance to play everyday, he will post numbers very similar to Adam Dunn, if not better. I'm just glad to see that he is finally getting a shot at the starting gig, and it looks like he is making the most out of it.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Relentless wrote:I've always believed on this guy. I thought that if he only got the chance to play everyday, he will post numbers very similar to Adam Dunn, if not better. I'm just glad to see that he is finally getting a shot at the starting gig, and it looks like he is making the most out of it.

whoa - anything concrete to make you think he's going to play every day? I mean, he's played every day for only just over a week. He's only got 113 ABs. Not calling you out - I just want to know b/c I could use him if that's a fact. thanks
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gatorgreenwell » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Friday, May 30, 2008
Thames will get to play every day
He now has a job in left field and, as long as he hits, he'll get a chance to keep it, Leyland says.
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

SEATTLE -- Most role players have a dream. Marcus Thames is no different.

The dream is that one day your manager is going to come up to you -- at your locker, on the field, it doesn't really matter where and say the magic words.

"From now on, you're going to be playing a lot."

Those words, or something similar, were told to Thames before the Tigers' 6-2 victory Wednesday night over the Angels, a game in which Thames hit two home runs and two other long fly balls that looked like they had a chance to leave the park when they left the bat.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /805300386
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:13 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:Friday, May 30, 2008
He now has a job in left field and, as long as he hits, he'll get a chance to keep it, Leyland says.

Lol, he's had this chance before with the Tigers, but everytime his slump hits, he's been sat down. I don't see this being anything different. Once he cools significantly, he'll be platooned once again.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby fimk3777 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Does Thames keep his job when Sheffield comes back? Thinking yes, but I would like another opinion as our league only has limited transactions allowed and I would hate to waste one. Thanks and leave a link........
fimk3777
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:53 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
gatorgreenwell wrote:Friday, May 30, 2008

Lol, he's had this chance before with the Tigers, but everytime his slump hits, he's been sat down. I don't see this being anything different. Once he cools significantly, he'll be platooned once again.

Wrong. There's no other options in left field right now, not that it would matter. Thames has shown he deserves the playing time, and he will get it. With Inge and Pudge rotating every other day behind the plate, Guillen won't be taking any of his at bats either because he'll be playing at third at least every other day. Sheffield can't risk further injury to his shoulder either. He'll continue to start, get 3 or 4 at bats, and be replaced for defensive purposes by Clevlen until he gets called back down.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers