The DH: Curse or Menace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The DH: Curse or Menace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby apz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:51 am

Yoda wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing specialization. Put your best fielders on defense and your best hitters on offense. Pitchers only have to pitch the ball. I'll bet the game would be elevated to a higher level that way.

Imagine football players playing both sides of the ball. The quality and the level of play would suffer as most players are specialized in their position save a few really athletic players.

It wouldn't be baseball. A derivative of baseball, but not baseball.

Football is football. Basketball allows players to come in and out during the game; should we allow that too?
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 556
(Past Year: 32)
Joined: 31 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:01 am

apz wrote:
Yoda wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing specialization. Put your best fielders on defense and your best hitters on offense. Pitchers only have to pitch the ball. I'll bet the game would be elevated to a higher level that way.

Imagine football players playing both sides of the ball. The quality and the level of play would suffer as most players are specialized in their position save a few really athletic players.

It wouldn't be baseball. A derivative of baseball, but not baseball.

Football is football. Basketball allows players to come in and out during the game; should we allow that too?


How do you figure it's not baseball? The object of the game is the same. Score more runs than the opponent.

They should allow substitutions like basketball or football. Why can't the sub go in and out of the game?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 am

Yoda wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing specialization. Put your best fielders on defense and your best hitters on offense. Pitchers only have to pitch the ball. I'll bet the game would be elevated to a higher level that way.

Imagine football players playing both sides of the ball. The quality and the level of play would suffer as most players are specialized in their position save a few really athletic players.

I dislike the constant comparisons to football. We all know the game would DRAMATICALLY suffer if players had to play on both sides of the ball. The physical toll that taken out of an athlete on EVERY play is enormous On the other hand, baseball doesn't require such physical exertion so their is no reason to change the game and it's rules so signifcantly to just improve the game by a few plays.

Btw, I'm curious you wouldn't mind seeing this adoption. Do you really think fans would be on board with this? :-? I highly doubt it. Traditionalists would have heart attacks while people who play it competitively or recreationally wouldn't enjoy sitting on the bench for half the game.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:10 am

RedHopeful wrote:
Yoda wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing specialization. Put your best fielders on defense and your best hitters on offense. Pitchers only have to pitch the ball. I'll bet the game would be elevated to a higher level that way.

Imagine football players playing both sides of the ball. The quality and the level of play would suffer as most players are specialized in their position save a few really athletic players.

I dislike the constant comparisons to football. We all know the game would DRAMATICALLY suffer if players had to play on both sides of the ball. The physical toll that taken out of an athlete on EVERY play is enormous On the other hand, baseball doesn't require such physical exertion so their is no reason to change the game and it's rules so signifcantly to just improve the game by a few plays.

Btw, I'm curious you wouldn't mind seeing this adoption. Do you really think fans would be on board with this? :-? I highly doubt it. Traditionalists would have heart attacks while people who play it competitively or recreationally wouldn't enjoy sitting on the bench for half the game.


I'm sure the same traditionalists were against minorities joining MLB, expansion and a slew of other changes made to the game over the last 100+ years. The bottom line is, who the hell cares what traditionalists say? The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable to every day people. Raising the bar to a higher level of play and competition will only draw more people to the game. Just my opinion.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am

Yoda wrote:I'm sure the same traditionalists were against minorities joining MLB, expansion and a slew of other changes made to the game over the last 100+ years. The bottom line is, who the hell cares what traditionalists say? The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable to every day people. Raising the bar to a higher level of play and competition will only draw more people to the game. Just my opinion.

Traditionalists are also against adding minefields in the outfield to make catching flyballs more exciting or making the players wear only a thong to attract more female fans. The DH is the only change to the fundamental design of baseball that has happened over the past 100+ years since they changed the foul strike rule. The game has done pretty well for itself with it's outdated design, people are either a fan or not. They would likely lose more fans than you would gain by implementing major changes to the fundamental design of the game. Fans don't watch the game just to see homeruns.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am

Tavish wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm sure the same traditionalists were against minorities joining MLB, expansion and a slew of other changes made to the game over the last 100+ years. The bottom line is, who the hell cares what traditionalists say? The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable to every day people. Raising the bar to a higher level of play and competition will only draw more people to the game. Just my opinion.

Traditionalists are also against adding minefields in the outfield to make catching flyballs more exciting or making the players wear only a thong to attract more female fans. The DH is the only change to the fundamental design of baseball that has happened over the past 100+ years since they changed the foul strike rule. The game has done pretty well for itself with it's outdated design, people are either a fan or not. They would likely lose more fans than you would gain by implementing major changes to the fundamental design of the game. Fans don't watch the game just to see homeruns.


It wouldn't just raise HRs. It would most likely improve every area of the game. For instance, imagine having defensive specialists on every position, taking away hits and HRs with almost every play. Have an entire OF of Torii Hunter's. That would be fun to watch.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

Yoda wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm sure the same traditionalists were against minorities joining MLB, expansion and a slew of other changes made to the game over the last 100+ years. The bottom line is, who the hell cares what traditionalists say? The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable to every day people. Raising the bar to a higher level of play and competition will only draw more people to the game. Just my opinion.

Traditionalists are also against adding minefields in the outfield to make catching flyballs more exciting or making the players wear only a thong to attract more female fans. The DH is the only change to the fundamental design of baseball that has happened over the past 100+ years since they changed the foul strike rule. The game has done pretty well for itself with it's outdated design, people are either a fan or not. They would likely lose more fans than you would gain by implementing major changes to the fundamental design of the game. Fans don't watch the game just to see homeruns.


It wouldn't just raise HRs. It would most likely improve every area of the game. For instance, imagine having defensive specialists on every position, taking away hits and HRs with almost every play. Have an entire OF of Torii Hunter's. That would be fun to watch.


i'm sure there are an abundance of said defensive specialists out there
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:59 am

Yoda wrote:It wouldn't just raise HRs. It would most likely improve every area of the game. For instance, imagine having defensive specialists on every position, taking away hits and HRs with almost every play. Have an entire OF of Torii Hunter's. That would be fun to watch.

See I just think that requires less skill and as a result I'm less interested. i want someone to do it all. Be the big hitter and play great defense. Kind of the same way that most track and field bores me but I'll watch a decathlon.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 pm

I think it's unfair to say that traditionalists were probably in favor of baseball's segregation. That's just a real crappy tact to take in this discussion. This is ad hominem; let me attack the traditionalist thereby undermining his opinion by association.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: The DH: Curse or Menace?

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think it's unfair to say that traditionalists were probably in favor of baseball's segregation. That's just a real crappy tact to take in this discussion. This is ad hominem; let me attack the traditionalist thereby undermining his opinion by association.


Well, that wasn't my intent. I was pointing out that just because traditionalists are against something doesn't mean that it is necessarily bad for the game (i.e. instant replay).

I'm pretty happy with the game either way. I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of the DH (although MLBPA would never allow it) or implement DH in the NL. The only thing that bothers me about the game currently is the fact that the All Star Game determines the home field advantage for the WS. That is just plain stupid.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 13:26 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact