Brandon Jones > Jay Bruce - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Jones > Jay Bruce

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brandon Jones > Jay Bruce

Postby decoy562 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:04 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
They sent Anderson down because noone was driving him in. They needed someone with power.

Anderson: "So what's up coach?"
Bobby: "I'm sorry bud, we're gonna have to send you back down. It's just that nobody has been driving you in and we really need somebody who is willing to go that extra mile to motivate the hitters behind him."

I would describe the reasoning not as "noone was driving him in," but more like "he wasn't a good fit for the offense the way it's been going right now."

In other words, it's not because nobody was driving him in, but because he doesn't have enough power and with the rest of the offense in a slump, they needed someone who could put some quick runs on the board by occasionally batting himself in.

I agree, I was just stating what the article said.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Just wanted to chime in a little: don't listen to Yahoo, Jones hasn't been the top prospect the past few years. I'm sure most people here know that, though. Probably doesn't have much value for this year but you might get a few weeks of production out of him if he stays hot.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:27 pm

brandnew wrote:Just wanted to chime in a little: don't listen to Yahoo, Jones hasn't been the top prospect the past few years. I'm sure most people here know that, though. Probably doesn't have much value for this year but you might get a few weeks of production out of him if he stays hot.

Agreed.

Don't get too excited guys. He is nothing special... at least not Jay Bruce special.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 73)

Postby stumpak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:38 pm

[quote="decoy562"][quote="stumpak"][quote="decoy562"][quote="Neato Torpedo"]5 days ago I hadn't heard of the guy, and now I'm considering picking him up and putting him on my roster. According to Yahoo, he has been "the organization's top hitting prospect for the last three seasons." But when I look at his minor league career, he hasn't been posting spectacular numbers at any level. He apparently has good power and decent speed, but hasn't really showed it so far.

Also, something I just found on an Atlanta news site: "One possibility: Braves could be showcasing Brandon Jones for a team with trade interest." This would mean that they would possibly trade him to another team, which would likely send him down to AAA, while the Braves would call up Josh Anderson again. Anderson was hitting .318 in the majors (albeit in a small sample size) before being called down to make room for Jones. This seems to be the most likely scenario, unless anyone has any theories to the contrary.[/quote]

Josh was doing fine, but the reason they sent him down was simply because the Braves weren't knocking him in. With Jones, he's ignited the offense the past few games. I'd hate to see them trade him. For what? I guess pitching... :-?[/quote]

Huh? You are saying that Anderson was sent down because other players were not driving him in? Not even Dusty would use a rationale like that (or actually maybe he would).

Anyway, Jones is a 24 yo AAA .800 OPS guy (and not even that good this season) in the minors with an abysmal SB success rate. I can't imagine any scenario where he is exciting for fantasy purposes. What is potential ceiling if all goes well? .280 15/10? That's not even Kelly Johnson quality, and Jones is an OF.

Unless there is some Atlanta fan with info to disabuse me of my opinion, I just don't see what there is in the numbers to think this guy is anything to write home about.[/quote]

Here is the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... eam_report

They sent Anderson down because noone was driving him in. They needed someone with power.[/quote]

Sorry for shooting the messenger.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dirk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 pm

another 2-4 game, ill keep riding this hot streak at least
dirk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor