Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Verlander

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:26 pm

This isn't like ythe thread complaining that Hamles pitched a complete game but didn't get enough K's, I'm not complaining but observing. Do you guys think he's King less because he's trying to temper his arm and become a contact pitcher so he can last longer in the year and record more IP? His velocity isn't down, so theoretically he could be getting the K's, but it seems like he wants the contact. Maybe he's just trying to regain confidence by going contact pitcher and slowly build back to dominance...

What do you guys think.
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Verlander

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:04 am

In the starts I've watched, his velocity most certainly is down. Rather than being in the mid to upper 90's, he's been sitting around 93ish this year. To be honest, I don't know what the cause for his lack of Ks is, although I've heard a lot of mechanical excuses from the Tigers' announcers (front flying open, flat breaking stuff, etc)...I'm sure the drop in velocity doesn't help though.

Normally I'm a member of the "be patient" club, but I'm just not sold on Justin this year...
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Verlander

Postby howardryan6 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:44 am

He is still in the Top 50 in the league with 72Ks, even with the drop off this year. He has just been inconsistent in his search for himself. He has had games with 7Ks(May 20th and Jun 16th) and he has had games with 1K(Apr 17th and May 31st). I think that when Justin and Chuck Hernandez have a talk about his future, and whether Justin can regain his strikeout potential and show it game-in-and-game-out, that Verlander will find himself again.
Last edited by howardryan6 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bruce is mah franchize. I love you Chris Davis!
howardryan6 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1738
Joined: 29 May 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Corpus Christi

Re: Verlander

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:54 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:This isn't like ythe thread complaining that Hamles pitched a complete game but didn't get enough K's, I'm not complaining but observing. Do you guys think he's King less because he's trying to temper his arm and become a contact pitcher so he can last longer in the year and record more IP? His velocity isn't down, so theoretically he could be getting the K's, but it seems like he wants the contact. Maybe he's just trying to regain confidence by going contact pitcher and slowly build back to dominance...

What do you guys think.


i think that was their plan going into the season, i cant tell if that's still it or if he's gone back to 2007 form, but either way he is throwing low to mid 90's vs mid to high. as a Tigers fan i'll take less K's if it means he goes 7 innings + most nights, but as a fantasy owner i want more K's dammit :-b

seriously though, i think he's always been erratic with his K's and i dont think he'll ever post elite strikeout numbers consistently (i'm thinking like 180 for 200 IP)

PS keep your walks down Justin
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Verlander

Postby Za_German » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 am

Inukchuk wrote:In the starts I've watched, his velocity most certainly is down. Rather than being in the mid to upper 90's, he's been sitting around 93ish this year. To be honest, I don't know what the cause for his lack of Ks is, although I've heard a lot of mechanical excuses from the Tigers' announcers (front flying open, flat breaking stuff, etc)...I'm sure the drop in velocity doesn't help though.

Normally I'm a member of the "be patient" club, but I'm just not sold on Justin this year...


I know his velocity was slightly down at the very first of the year (92-93 mph), but in May, in the starts that I saw, he was more in the 94-96 range.
Image

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 177
Joined: 3 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Verlander

Postby ivanhack » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 am

Verlander has strung together 5 or 6 solid starts.

Last night @ San Fran he pitched 6 innings with 5 hits, 3 er, 1 bb, 7 k's. Of course that's just San Fran, a very mediocre offense.

According to Yahoo Sports, his velocity was up to 96 mph:

Jun 16 RHP Justin Verlander turned in his seventh strong start in a row, striking out seven and walking just one batter in six innings on the mound. Verlander threw his fastball up to 96 mph and mixed in a sharp curve and strong changeup in his five-hit outing. He came out for a pinch hitter in the seventh and did not figure in the decision.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 783
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Verlander

Postby Yanks_Baby » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 am

Again, I'd like to stress I'm not complaining or worried, I was just wondering what the real life practicalities of this kind of pitching were.
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Verlander

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:53 pm

ivanhack wrote:Verlander has strung together 5 or 6 solid starts.

Last night @ San Fran he pitched 6 innings with 5 hits, 3 er, 1 bb, 7 k's. Of course that's just San Fran, a very mediocre offense.

According to Yahoo Sports, his velocity was up to 96 mph:

Jun 16 RHP Justin Verlander turned in his seventh strong start in a row, striking out seven and walking just one batter in six innings on the mound. Verlander threw his fastball up to 96 mph and mixed in a sharp curve and strong changeup in his five-hit outing. He came out for a pinch hitter in the seventh and did not figure in the decision.


Last night at San Fran, Verlander only gave up 2ER and was in line for the W when he left after only 98 pitches. I think Verlander is a pretty safe play right now.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Re: Verlander

Postby wildcatmatt27 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:09 am

I traded Verlander at the beginning of the season along with Jered Weaver for Lincecum and Cueto. I feel like I got a steal b/c Ver has been terrible. Albeit Lincecum is the only player worth having on your team in that group, at least I got him.
wildcatmatt27
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 110
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Verlander

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 am

wildcatmatt27 wrote:I traded Verlander at the beginning of the season along with Jered Weaver for Lincecum and Cueto. I feel like I got a steal b/c Ver has been terrible. Albeit Lincecum is the only player worth having on your team in that group, at least I got him.


um, verlander is worth owning, and has been ace caliber the last month..
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact