Teixeira on the block? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teixeira on the block?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Teixeira on the block?

Postby MrSnider » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Saw elsewhere on the site some mentioning that Texeira could be traded. Does anyone think this is likely? I'm in an NL-only league, so if the suitors are in the AL, I sure would like to dump him soon. :-D The Braves historically have no traded big players at the deadline, and even if they're 8 out I have a hard time believing it. Of course, they could feel burnt by Boras guys the past few years, so I could see Wren, rather than Schuerholz, pulling the trigger now.
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teixeira on the block?

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm

I would have avoided Tex like the plague in an NL Only league this year but I really doubt he gets dealt at the deadline again.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Tex is going to be a FA so they can either trade him now, take a draft pick or shell out big money in the offseason. If they don't think they can compete this year I don't see why they don't trade him.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 449)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Tex is going to be a FA so they can either trade him now, take a draft pick or shell out big money in the offseason. If they don't think they can compete this year I don't see why they don't trade him.

Its two draft picks, and my guess unless they fall way out they dont trade him.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:42 pm

im thinking he stays.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 pm

[quote="Bobbleheadrusty"][quote="Pogotheostrich"]Tex is going to be a FA so they can either trade him now, take a draft pick or shell out big money in the offseason. If they don't think they can compete this year I don't see why they don't trade him.[/quote]
Its two draft picks, and my guess unless they fall way out they dont trade him.[/quote]

Agree, he probably stays in Atlanta. Odds are the East will remain unsettled since there is no really strong team and the Braves will be less then 10 back at the July deadline (and probably closer than this). If that is the case, why not keep Tex to generate current and future revenue (he will drive attendence and the ratings that future local TV deals are based off of) and pocket the draft picks?

The other issue is Boras. There is an increasing trend in recent years for contenders paying a bigger premium when they see a potential sign the player over the offseason. With Boras, there are few teams that will value Tex in this way.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Tex is going to be a FA so they can either trade him now, take a draft pick or shell out big money in the offseason. If they don't think they can compete this year I don't see why they don't trade him.

Next years amateur draft has a chance to be loaded, so the two draft picks might be more valuable to the Braves then a trade at the deadline. I don't think the Braves trade him unless they are overwhelmed, even with all of their pitching problems.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:18 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Next years amateur draft has a chance to be loaded, so the two draft picks might be more valuable to the Braves then a trade at the deadline. I don't think the Braves trade him unless they are overwhelmed, even with all of their pitching problems.

Pitching actually isnt the biggest problem for the Braves this year, its when our bats go into hibernation mode and Frenchy leaves something like 16+ men on base and gets 0 RBIs for a 3 game series. We are 2nd in ERA in the NL just behind the Cubbies. I don't think the Braves will trade Tex. I also don't think they will resign him.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 73)

Return to Baseball Leftovers