Mariners Fan Rejoice! Bavasi Fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners Fan Rejoice! Bavasi Fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mariners Fan Rejoice! Bavasi Fired

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Article below
Last edited by Another Blown Save on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mariners Fan Rejoice! Bavasi Fired

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Mariners relieve Bill Bavasi of General Manager duties
Vice President, associate general manager Lee Pelekoudas to take over as interim general manager

Vice President of Baseball Operations & General Manager Bill Bavasi had been relieved of his duties with the club.

Vice President/Associate General Manager Lee Pelekoudas will take over as the interim General Manager, effective immediately. He is the eighth General Manager in club history.

"Change is in order." Lincoln said. "We have determined new leadership is needed in the GM position. With a new leader will come a new plan and a new approach. A search will begin immediately for a permanent GM, and Lee will be a candidate for the position."

Bavasi was in his fifth season as the head of the Mariners baseball operations after being named to that position on Nov. 7, 2003, when he took over for Pat Gillick. Prior to joining the Mariners, Bill was the Director of Player Development of the Los Angeles Dodgers. And from 1994-1999 he was the general manager of the California/Anaheim Angels.

"Speaking on behalf of our ownership and the entire Mariners organization, we have enormous respect for Bill, and appreciate his service to the franchise."

Pelekoudas, now in his 29th season with the Mariners, was named Vice President, Associate General Manager on November 1, 2005. He started with the Mariners as Director of Team Travel in 1980, and moved into the area of baseball administration in October of 1987. Lee was promoted to Sr. Director of Baseball Administration in April of 1995 and to VP of Baseball Administration in September, 1997.

Lincoln said, "Chuck and I have confidence in Lee Pelekoudas, who has been with the Mariners for many years and who is a respected baseball executive."

Pelekoudas has been responsible for the coordination of player contract negotiations, tracking Major League player movement, managing the club's player transactions within the MLB administrative rules and the Major League payroll. He has also been extensively involved in discussions and decisions on the make-up of the Major League roster.

Lee was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 23rd round of the 1969 June draft, but elected to attend Arizona State University, where he was a three-year letterwinning pitcher (1970-72). He graduated from ASU in 1973 with a degree in journalism. He worked in private business for four years prior to joining the PCL Portland Beavers in 1978.

Link

Party at BP's place :-D
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Pop one open BP and Mugrila, this bud's for you. ;-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Congrats, boys! That's great news for you and everyone else that owns a prospect in their organization.

;-D ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Wow, great move for the organization! ;-D

Dusty Baker as the new GM? :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:38 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Congrats, boys! That's great news for you and everyone else that owns a prospect in their organization.

;-D ;-D

I'd rather their hitting prospects be traded somewhere that is a little more hitter friendly. :-b
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:55 pm

fantastic news, but the new GM has some hard work in front of him
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Super Manny » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:01 pm

With Bavasi gone, how soon can we expect to see Jeff Clement back in a Mariners uniform...?

For those of us that need help at catcher (2 starts away from eligibility in Yahoo leagues), Clement could be a second-half messiah. 8-o ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:10 pm

Super Manny wrote:With Bavasi gone, how soon can we expect to see Jeff Clement back in a Mariners uniform...?

For those of us that need help at catcher (2 starts away from eligibility in Yahoo leagues), Clement could be a second-half messiah. 8-o ;-D

I was just about to post the exact same thing... after I picked up Clement in both my 2 catcher leagues. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Super Manny » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Super Manny wrote:With Bavasi gone, how soon can we expect to see Jeff Clement back in a Mariners uniform...?

I was just about to post the exact same thing... after I picked up Clement in both my 2 catcher leagues. ;-D

I couldn't wait and take the risk of someone else grabbing him.

In a 12-team, ONE catcher league, I dropped Dioner Navarro and picked up Clement. I'm crossing my fingers that a call-up comes soon, followed by a few games behind the plate for eligibility purposes. In the meantime, I'll be working to clear a roster spot for a stopgap catcher, or going "catcher-commando"...

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers