12-team, roto, non-keeper
Hitting categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG

The 5 best CF's available are:
Brad Wilkerson, MON
Mike Cameron, NYM
Ken Griffey, Jr., CIN
Kenny Lofton, NYY
Scott Podsednik, MIL

Are Wilkerson and Cameron good enough to take over Griffey? Griffey's always tempting because of the possibilities.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bsblallstr » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:48 pm

well depending on who you already have, i think griffey is the best of that group, sure he might get injured but i think the rest of them will get dropped anyways, so i would just hope that griffey can be injury free.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eli81k » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:03 pm

I don't think Cameron is that bad a player, perhaps even underrated. The Mets' offense should improve with Matsui and Cameron being added to the fold.

Who doesn't love Junior's upside, but who's actually seen it the past couple years? If you take Griffey, your next biggest question will be who is Griffey's back-up on your team?

Also, Wilkerson is eligible at a ton of positions in my league, he's a nice guy to have around if the same is true for yours.

How deep is your league? Unless its really shallow, I don't think, as previously stated, that a lot of these guys will get dropped. Podsednik has good value as a base stealer. Wilkerson should be mulit-position eligible, and a solid starter if not great bench player (plug him in anytime someone else has a day off). Griffey could be again... but if I were you I would take Cameron. He is the safest bet for good production.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:43 pm

League specs: 10 hitters, 8 pitchers. The hitters are 1 each per position (with outfielders separated as LF, CF, or RF's), plus 1 extra OF and 1 DH.

I have a solid team so far: C-Varitek, 1B-Thome, 2B-Vidro, 3B-Rolen, LF-Bonds; but not much in the way of steals.

I still have SS, CF, and RF to fill. I can get some steals from SS (Rollins) or CF (Cameron, Podsednik, Lofton), but not from RF (Sh. Green, Hidalgo, L. Walker, T. Nixon). I can also try to get steals with the extra OF or DH spot (those 2 choices are the last 2 picks of our draft).

I like Cameron for the HR/SB combo, but his steals were down last year and he has a bone spur on his foot, which could cause trouble during the year.

I like Wilkerson for his high OBP and improving SLG, good ballpark, and he could hit in front of Vidro (who I have).

Griffey could be great, if healthy, which he hasn't been for 3 years.

Podsednik came out of nowhere last season. What will he do in his sophomore year?

Lofton is a punk who I've always despised, but if he'll give me 25 steals and 90 runs scored, I could live with having him on my team.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby ondeckb » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:49 pm

I project Posednik to be like .300/ 100R/ 8 HR (although he did jack 3 in that softball game on TV today)/ 60 RBI/ 35 SB.....go get him!!!
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dude86 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:13 am

Party like its 1999 and choose Griffey!
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:16 am

ondeckb wrote:I project Posednik to be like .300/ 100R/ 8 HR (although he did jack 3 in that softball game on TV today)/ 60 RBI/ 35 SB.....go get him!!!

PODS hit
138 in AA
225 in AA
250 in AAA
242 in AAA

300 is a real high projection?

I would take JR.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:22 am

The guy right ahead of me took Griffey. I agree with Hootie on Podsednik--last year was out of line with anything he'd done before. My league doesn't use BA, but uses OBP and SLG. I know Podsednik won't do much slugging wise, but if he can have a .350 OBP and steal 30, that would help me out.

Otherwise, Wilkerson (.380 obp-.480 slg, with 10 sb) or Cameron (.360/.460, 20 sb) could work.

As a last resort, there's that bitch, Kenny Lofton...
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:37 am

Podsednik is doomed. Last season was probably a fluke, and he has nobody in his lineup now that Sexson is gone and Jenkins will probably miss the season with some kind of injury. He's a career minor leaguer who was good by accident. I'd consider Cameron over Griffey (ironic, isn't it, since Cameron was somewhat of a throw-in for the Griffey to Cinci trade) because he'll probably be healthy and put up a better BA in Shea. His low SB total is a concern, but I think the Mets will be running like crazy this year. Matsui, Reyes, Cameron, and Cedeno (:-o), and even Wigginton could steal a dozen. Cameron should get the green light, and could very well go 25/25 with a decent average. But it's so hard to pass up the opportunity of having a future Hall of Famer who is only 34 years old, batting in a hitters park.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: CF choices

Postby NZF » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:27 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:12-team, roto, non-keeper
Hitting categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG

The 5 best CF's available are:
Brad Wilkerson, MON
Mike Cameron, NYM
Ken Griffey, Jr., CIN
Kenny Lofton, NYY
Scott Podsednik, MIL

Are Wilkerson and Cameron good enough to take over Griffey? Griffey's always tempting because of the possibilities.

Lofton is your best choice. If he gets anywhere near 550 AB's and early indications are that he will he should put up numbers close to this.

100 - 15 - 60 - 30 - .300 well ahead of anyone else on that list.

He is a career .321 hitter at Yankee Stadium with a .400 OBP.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers