Climbing up Rank but Need Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Climbing up Rank but Need Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Climbing up Rank but Need Help

Postby shappy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:54 pm

So I thought the team had some promise at the beginning of the season. Pretty much I have just been seeing either weeks where I win by a lot or weeks when I get completely blown out. I just made a trade and got holliday to help the offense. What else can I do to make a nice run here the second half of the season?

This is a 12 team h2h league. We keep three players at the end of each season. Also the stats are 7x7 with (obp, slg, k/9 and k/bb as the extra two on each side)

For pitching we have 5 SP spots and 2 RP spots, so carrying more than just 2 closers is worthless.

C- McCann
1b- Morneau
2b- Upton
3b- Arod
SS- Guzman
CI- Encarnacion
MI-Alexi Ramirez
OF- Abreu
OF- Holliday
OF- Damon
Util - Guillen
BN - Dye
BN - Iwamura
DL - Furcal

SP - Shields
SP - Zambrano
SP - Dempster
SP - Maine
SP - Howell
RP - Rivera
RP - Jones
BN - Jurrjens
BN - Eveland
BN - Danks
BN - Contreras
DL - Dice-k

please leave a link I will get back to your post ASAP

I have bad luck when it comes to signatures that the person either gets traded or hurt...in this case I hope he gets traded.
shappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Climbing up Rank but Need Help

Postby felixthecat011 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Your team looks pretty solid top-to-bottom on the offensive side. My first thought was to see if you can upgrade Guzman, but with Furcal on the DL (even if he is going to be out longer than initially thought), I wouldn't make a move there. My only suggestions would be to think about selling high on Damon - I don't think he'll keep this up for the remainder, and I'd took to see if you can upgrade Encarnacion - he's just too up and down for my liking.

On the pitching side, I think your actual just as solid. You did a nice job of scooping guys like Danks and Contreras to take advantage of their solid play. Eveland I'd be a little careful with, even in a 12-team, since he's more of a matchups/spot start guy, but it looks like he's just filling in for Dice K. Your closers are solid - the Tigers are showing signs of life, so the wins and saves will come there. I wouldn't tinker much with your arms other than maybe look to add a middle man who's a slightly more stable option than Howell, who will get his share of K's, but will get knocked around a little too often for my taste.

Ultimately, you want to think long term when it comes to your roster. In fantasy, yesterday is nice, but it's what a guy will do today and tomorrow that will dictate his value. I'd check the "2008 Buy Low & Sell High Candidates" thread and try and identify some good "buy low" candidates and see if you can peddle off some of your overachievers for proven performers who have slumped.

In a 12 team league guy like Francisco Liriano are probably gone, but guys like Ian Snell (who I'm hearing will be solid once he turns the corner) might still be there for free.
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby banksrobbanks » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 pm

Your roster is lookin stellar... If you have any weakness it'd obviously be guzman, i would think about dealing mccan for a shortstop and picking up navvaro from the d-rays if hes available. I'd also considering upgrading the outfield a lil bit i dont trust damon. i'd also keep my eye on jones at closer with rodney and zumaya coming back they will definitly put pressure on jones.
banksrobbanks
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wildcatmatt27 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Pretty balanced team you have there. What did you give up for Holliday? EddE is worthless in my opinion and I'm a HUGE Reds fan. His hot week out of every two months is not worth a roster spot IMHO. As the other posters put it, Damon will NOT keep this up, so selling high would be a priority to me. Also, maybe strengthen closer as Todd Jones is on his way down the baseball slide. Other than that, especially at the key positions, I'd say sit tight and wait it out. Everybody gets beat bad sometimes, it's a long season that is about a month from being just half-way over. In this game, your players will get beat 70% of the time and still be making speeches in Cooperstown. Be easy.

Matt
wildcatmatt27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shappy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:55 pm

I gave up ichiro and joba to get holliday. I have been trying to shot edwin as well as damon, but unsuccessful so far. Hopefully something will come up very soon.

Thanks to all the advice from everyone. Keep it coming and post your links. I will gladly help you out.

I have bad luck when it comes to signatures that the person either gets traded or hurt...in this case I hope he gets traded.
shappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby banksrobbanks » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:18 pm

ya im not a fan of encarnicion eather i had him on my team also i'd definitly try to move him look out for zumaya tho i think he will take over the closers role sooner then later
banksrobbanks
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ROC AllStars » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the help on mine.

Your offense looks pretty solid, the only hole, as has been pointed out, is Guzman. This is troubling for you though, as the latest reports on Furcal have him out for quite some time yet. From what I understand, he was just forced to cease all baseball activities for the time being. I'm not sure what can be done for you there, but you should be thinking ahead for a serviceable replacement. Renteria is available in a lot of leagues, and is a decent buy-low IMO.

The two big question marks in your SP's are Dempster and Contreras: can they keep up their performance? I am confident in Contreras, he's playing with something to prove, and his fastball velocity is back up, making his forkball much more effective. As a Cubs fan, I certainly hope that Dempster keeps it up, but I have serious doubts. Keep a close eye on him, and be ready to sell if he looks to be fading.

Other than that, I would expect your team to keep climbing. Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Funny, I was going to try recommending you offer Damon to get Ichiro, but then read your post saying that you had moved him for Holliday.

I agree that you should probably sell high on Damon, but I disagree on Jones. He is solid, if not spectacular, at closer, and those are hard to come by. He is dismissed by too many.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby shappy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:09 pm

so what does everyone suggest I try to move Damon for? Any targets that I should look to get or specific positions?

I am unsure as to where he falls in terms of what value he could get for me.

shappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby scottster92 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:02 am

thanks for the help on mine.

Someone in my league is trying to sell Damon high, and is packaging him and a pitcher (Haren) for Alfonso Soriano.

He made the point that Damon is ranked 44, and Soriano is hurt, and the other person in the trade (not me haha) bought it...and was convinced he ripped the other guy off...so maybe whatever you see as your weakness try to strengthen them there by packaging damon.

thanks for the help on mine, hope it helps
scottster92
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team