First Year Player Fantasy Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

First Year Player Fantasy Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Year Player Fantasy Draft

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Let's say you had the first pick in a 5x5 fantasy draft of all the first year player's draft. Who do you take and why?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First Year Player Fantasy Draft

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41 am

Depends on the team to some degree, but it would ultimately come down to Alvarez, Smoak, and T. Beckham. If you can wait and aren't close to contending, yet want a SS he would be a very strong option. However if your closer Alvarez or Smoak would be great and better choices. I think Smoak will move a bit faster and have quicker rewards personally. Has better plate discipline and will be in a great park and that line up could be scary by the time he gets up there (Hamilton, Kinsler, Salty, Davis, Max, Elvis). Alvarez has a chance to be a pretty special bat, especially if he stays at 3B but the Pirates aren't quite along as an organization especially getting hitting in the future besides McCutchen.

So there you go, I'd prolly take Alvarez and if you want Smoak deal down and get Smoak plus something ... as most value Alvarez a bit more
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jwhands » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:22 am

I'd take Alvarez. He has great potential IMO, and he's going to a team that is starting to build some young talent in their lineup.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 am

agreed that it somewhat depends on what type of team you have right now. The top guys i have on my list to make an impact in fantasy are
Alvarez
Smoak
Posey
Matsuz
Alonso
Tim Beckham
Hosmer

I like a lot of guys from this years draft.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Smoak is someone I really like, my only problem with Alvarez is the Pittsburgh organization. Is he a great enough player to overcome the shortcomings of the organization?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:06 pm

If you want a hitter, Yonder Alonso for me. I feel he's got the best combination of an eye, ability to hit for average and power. I think if his defense is fine, he should move through the minors pretty quickly. Moreover, I like the good chance that he'll be in the middle of a very potent Reds lineup. I agree with a previous post stating that this will probably end up being a very strong class so I'm sure there are more than a few guys who will could make you happy.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:12 pm

hybrid wrote:Depends on the team to some degree, but it would ultimately come down to Alvarez, Smoak, and T. Beckham. If you can wait and aren't close to contending, yet want a SS he would be a very strong option. However if your closer Alvarez or Smoak would be great and better choices. I think Smoak will move a bit faster and have quicker rewards personally. Has better plate discipline and will be in a great park and that line up could be scary by the time he gets up there (Hamilton, Kinsler, Salty, Davis, Max, Elvis). Alvarez has a chance to be a pretty special bat, especially if he stays at 3B but the Pirates aren't quite along as an organization especially getting hitting in the future besides McCutchen.

So there you go, I'd prolly take Alvarez and if you want Smoak deal down and get Smoak plus something ... as most value Alvarez a bit more

Dont forget steave Pearce. 115 RBIs last year.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:36 pm

I'd take Alvarez.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins the ROY in 09
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I'd take Alvarez.

Athough we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, he does appear to have A-Ram like abilities. A hitter capable of hitting 110-35-120-.290 year after year. Me likey.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I'd take Alvarez.

So he's gonna totally skip the minors or just play very limited AB's? Um, really doubt it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball