100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chien-Ming Wang hurt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chien-Ming Wang hurt

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:05 pm

hscsoph wrote:
JTWood wrote:
ESPN.com wrote:NEW YORK -- Yankees ace Chien-Ming Wang is expected to be sidelined until at least September after injuring his foot running the bases, prompting club co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner to chastise the National League for playing without a designated hitter.
"My only message is simple. The National League needs to join the 21st century," Steinbrenner said in Tampa, Fla. "They need to grow up and join the 21st century.

"Am I [mad] about it? Yes," Steinbrenner added. "I've got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He's going to be out. I don't like that, and it's about time they address it. That was a rule from the 1800s."
"This is always a concern of American League teams when their pitchers have to run the bases and they're not used to doing it," Steinbrenner said. "It's not just us. It's everybody. It probably should be a concern for National League owners, general managers and managers when their pitchers run the bases. Pitchers have enough to do without having to do that."

Translated: :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Seriously, the opposite argument could be made. Shoot, he even says it: They're not used to doing it.

Maybe that means they should get rid of the DH. O:-) :-D

With the money people are paying pitchers now I don't think they should be batting. The chance of them getting hurt running the bases or getting hit by a pitch in the hand, etc...doesn't make sense for guys who are being paid in the upwards of $10 million a year.

Please... If anything, it's the opposite. With the amount of money they're making, they should be running and entertaining the fans with feats of acrobatic genius on their off days.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Carew7 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 pm

i agree... i love NL ball i wish the AL made them bat too.. if you're paying them 100 mil or so they should learn how to bat too... Wang got hurt running the bases... he easily could have done that covering first on a grounder or fielding a bunt... freak accident WAAAAA... but it does suck i just dropped him and i have the worst ERA and WHIP in my league already...
Carew7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thomasmore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Does anyone think he'll actually return in sept? I'm waiting for him to go on DL instead of just dropping him in case he does return.
thomasmore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KillaBees800 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:55 pm

JTWood wrote:
ESPN.com wrote:NEW YORK -- Yankees ace Chien-Ming Wang is expected to be sidelined until at least September after injuring his foot running the bases, prompting club co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner to chastise the National League for playing without a designated hitter.
"My only message is simple. The National League needs to join the 21st century," Steinbrenner said in Tampa, Fla. "They need to grow up and join the 21st century.

"Am I [mad] about it? Yes," Steinbrenner added. "I've got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He's going to be out. I don't like that, and it's about time they address it. That was a rule from the 1800s."
"This is always a concern of American League teams when their pitchers have to run the bases and they're not used to doing it," Steinbrenner said. "It's not just us. It's everybody. It probably should be a concern for National League owners, general managers and managers when their pitchers run the bases. Pitchers have enough to do without having to do that."

Translated: :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Seriously, the opposite argument could be made. Shoot, he even says it: They're not used to doing it.

Maybe that means they should get rid of the DH. O:-) :-D

Hank is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, is this guy for real? The next thing you know he'll be saying there should be one offensive lineup and one defensive lineup. Then he'll complain some more when no other teams can afford it. :-t
KillaBees800
College Coach
College Coach

Postby decoy562 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 am

I guess the injury is a....(drumroll please)....

huge blow to wang.

:-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nfl_fantasy_azn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 am

Does anyone know who's going to replace him? Is he a good pickup??
nfl_fantasy_azn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 am

nfl_fantasy_azn wrote:Does anyone know who's going to replace him? Is he a good pickup??

I think it's pretty difficult to replace a good Wang.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby decoy562 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:37 am

StlSluggers wrote:
nfl_fantasy_azn wrote:Does anyone know who's going to replace him? Is he a good pickup??

I think it's pretty difficult to replace a good Wang.

Very true...just ask John Bobbitt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorena_Bobbitt
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates