Bedard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bedard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bedard

Postby coma » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Do you guys see him turning it around the 2nd half of the season? I'm thinking about trading for him but idk!
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bedard

Postby wildbill » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Depends on how much of a turnaround youre talking about. Most of what I've read seems to indicate experts think he will be better, but how much better when compared to preseason projections seems to vary a good bit. There's also a possibility he gets traded. Right now a trade is not very likely to occur, but the possibility has been floating around lately, especially if the GM were to be fired before the trade deadline.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdsun1 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 pm

coma wrote:Do you guys see him turning it around the 2nd half of the season? I'm thinking about trading for him but idk!

Good news is he pitches against WAS today so watch his start closely. I heard he has had a decrease in velocity this year and he has been having trouble locating his pitches. ON the other hand up until thsi year he has gotten better every year. There are a ton of haters out there on him so you could probably get him for really cheap. Personally as an owner im staying put in hopes he turns it around in the 2nd half like he does every year. However chances are Bedard gets traded to Philly or some other contender and his value goes way up.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm

From Rotoworld:
Mariners fired GM Bill Bavasi.
Finally. The team finished 322-395 in four and a half seasons under his watchful eye. We'd list Bavasi's poor decisions, but it'd probably overload the Rotoworld servers. The best indication of his over-spending and poor roster development is that the team currently has the worst record in baseball with a top-10 payroll over $100 million. Vice President/Associate General Manager Lee Pelekoudas will take over as the interim General Manager. Jun. 16 - 3:22 pm et

So how does this news affect Bedard? There have been rumors recently about Bedard possibly getting traded, however most believed the only way that might happen is if Seattle's GM got fired and he was traded by whoever took over. So this firing at least opens up the possibility the Bedard could get traded to a contender before the deadline. Keep an eye on the rumor mill, if he does get traded to a contender he could still be a standout in the 2nd half if he stays healthy.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ScrappyDoo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Bedard has awesome stuff, but it takes him a while to locate his offspeed pitches. Which can be frustrating when he gives up a few runs in the early innings. This year his injury delayed him getting into a groove early, and he's still trying to work out the kinks. That is also evident in the fact that after the first few innings batters are hitting below .200 off him as he gets control of his pitches. I would buy low, he was filthy last summer, and I think he will be again, I bet you'll be seeing him throw a lot of 10+ K games with 3 or so hits more and more often. Probably won't get many wins, but so it goes.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cookman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 pm

With Bavasi there, I really didn't see any way he was going to be traded. I just don't see a MLB GM admitting he f'ed up that bad that quickly. But now that he's gone and the Mariners are pretty hopeless, what do you think the chances are that Bedard goes?

On the one hand, they just traded for him over the off-season (and gave up a few pretty good young players). On the other hand, I've got to believe with the age of their team they're in selling mode, and outside of Ichiro and Felix (I would think both would be damn near untouchable), I don't see many other pieces on their team that anyone would want.

Any Seattle fans have any thoughts? His value would get a huge boost if he went to an NL contender (say, Cubs or Phils....).
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Noah_B » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:47 am

cookman wrote:With Bavasi there, I really didn't see any way he was going to be traded. I just don't see a MLB GM admitting he f'ed up that bad that quickly. But now that he's gone and the Mariners are pretty hopeless, what do you think the chances are that Bedard goes?

On the one hand, they just traded for him over the off-season (and gave up a few pretty good young players). On the other hand, I've got to believe with the age of their team they're in selling mode, and outside of Ichiro and Felix (I would think both would be damn near untouchable), I don't see many other pieces on their team that anyone would want.

Any Seattle fans have any thoughts? His value would get a huge boost if he went to an NL contender (say, Cubs or Phils....).

Surprisingly someone on FSNW mentioned that the front office of the Ms would go "as far as" trading Ichiro. I believe it was more of an exaggeration of the lengths at which the new interim GM will go to "fix" or improve this team. With Bavasi out of the way, who knows which direction the ownership group/GM will go... Bavasi said that Pelekoudas, interim GM, was "ready to be a GM when I arrived here and he's a GM focused on the major league club" - where Bavasi claims he's a GM focused more on player development, which of course involves trading away top prospects.

Meh, the Bavasi [thank the baseball gods that he got fired] debate or discussion has it's place in another thread.

As for Bedard, being a Seattle native and fan, I think the trade is still "up-in-the-air" in terms of being good or bad. It's debatable. Seattle needed to improve on their SP and with this trade they did (Silva is a joke)... Bedard has had a rough start with a couple minor injuries and really horrible run support (yay richie sexon) and I highly doubt he will remain with the club after his contract expires. Unless of course there's trades made in other positions of FAs acquired that improve the clubs record now/next year - dramatically. :coughtradesexonheishorriblecough:

I hope Bedard stays for at least another year... If the Yanks or Phils, etc. come calling with a nice shiny offer, I'm sure that the Ms might bite. It would be a slap in the face to the organization but at this point, they need it.

EDIT:

No really, back on topic:

I'm holding on to Bedard.
Noah_B
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:56 am

Nice input, Noah. As a Bedard owner, I'd love to see him in Phillie red...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Noah_B » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Nice input, Noah. As a Bedard owner, I'd love to see him in Phillie red...

...Pitching in front of one of the best, imo, pitchers of this decade (or two, I think he's like 56 now) Jamie Moyer.

If Bedard landed in Phillie-ville, he'd have a very-very good line-up behind him. The Phils already have a better ball club than the Yanks and with an additional arm like Bedard, I believe the east would be in the bag. And I'd really love to see Moyer snag a ring, he deserves it.

Now if the Yanks can pull Bedard, then it would get interesting - come September. Still the Phills line-up > Yanks.
Noah_B
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Injuries & Player Updates