I need a pitcher, not a belly-itcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I need a pitcher, not a belly-itcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to take the collective advice and hold off on drafting a pitcher at this point. Clement jumped out at me also, but he's so up-and-down. Last year, he had a game where he gave up something like 9 earned runs in 3-ish innings, but it was rained out. Plus, I'm not a fan of Dusty Baker and how hard he rides his pitchers, so if I miss out on Clement, it's no big deal.

Kip Wells hasn't been getting any interest in this league because he plays on such a crappy team, so I might be able to get him very late. I think his ERA and WHIP will be solid and won't hurt me.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:55 am

I would take Willis

Padilla
Wells
Myers
Clement
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:16 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'm going to take the collective advice and hold off on drafting a pitcher at this point. Clement jumped out at me also, but he's so up-and-down. Last year, he had a game where he gave up something like 9 earned runs in 3-ish innings, but it was rained out. Plus, I'm not a fan of Dusty Baker and how hard he rides his pitchers, so if I miss out on Clement, it's no big deal.

Kip Wells hasn't been getting any interest in this league because he plays on such a crappy team, so I might be able to get him very late. I think his ERA and WHIP will be solid and won't hurt me.

Good idea.

Clement is very frustrating to own. He's got boatloads of potential, and will toss a gem every now and again. But he's prone to blowing up big time. I got so frustrated with him last year that I dropped him. Personally, I like consistency out of my pitchers. Padilla jumps out at me as a solid SP to consider. I'd rank them as follows:

Padilla
Willis
Wells

I'd also consider Penny

What about Mark Redman? You could probably get him down the road a bit.

The next tier:

Kim
Harden
Clement
Thomson
Penny
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:25 am

I thought about Redman also, but I already have Hudson and could get Harden later. I wouldn't want 3 A's pitchers (unless it were Hud, Mulder, and Zito).
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers