Claiming a guy on the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Claiming a guy on the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Claiming a guy on the DL

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:09 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:
flloyd wrote:I'm one who is against picking up DL players and putting them of your DL. I feel that the DL is for players who were on your team and then got hurt. However unless your league's rules prohibit this action I feel that you are allowed to do it. Maybe your league should put it up for a vote as to whether they want that rule or not?

This reasoning makes very little sense. I don't know about your leagues, but in mine, I am not at liberty to simply add a player to my DL. I have to have a legal roster, then I have to drop a player in my active roster, then I can stash the newly added DL player if I need to. Sure this gives me the option of adding 2 for the price of 1, or something like that, but what else would I do?

Suppose I wanted to add Mike Gonzalez. In your estimation I suppose the only way I should be allowed to add him is if I am willing to carry him on my active roster without DLing him? By that logic, the offense doesn't even occur until after I've added him. Trying to police a situation like this simply does not work and is not a viable way to conduct a fantasy league.

I guess the real issue is that no matter what happens, you should be able to add the player to your active roster. The only thing the commish should even be able to prevent is you adding a player to the DL who wasn't on your roster before he was placed on the DL. Go try to police that and see how it works.

This is just a very, very silly prohibition.

Ditto. Very well said.

Was gonna respond to flloyd's post as well, but CBM said it much better than I could have. ;-D
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Claiming a guy on the DL

Postby flloyd » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
flloyd wrote:I'm one who is against picking up DL players and putting them of your DL. I feel that the DL is for players who were on your team and then got hurt. However unless your league's rules prohibit this action I feel that you are allowed to do it. Maybe your league should put it up for a vote as to whether they want that rule or not?

This reasoning makes very little sense. I don't know about your leagues, but in mine, I am not at liberty to simply add a player to my DL. I have to have a legal roster, then I have to drop a player in my active roster, then I can stash the newly added DL player if I need to. Sure this gives me the option of adding 2 for the price of 1, or something like that, but what else would I do?

Suppose I wanted to add Mike Gonzalez. In your estimation I suppose the only way I should be allowed to add him is if I am willing to carry him on my active roster without DLing him? By that logic, the offense doesn't even occur until after I've added him. Trying to police a situation like this simply does not work and is not a viable way to conduct a fantasy league.

I guess the real issue is that no matter what happens, you should be able to add the player to your active roster. The only thing the commish should even be able to prevent is you adding a player to the DL who wasn't on your roster before he was placed on the DL. Go try to police that and see how it works.

This is just a very, very silly prohibition.

Like I implied, I feel that this is simply a personal preference that should be decided by the league. I don't think one way is any more right than the other. I simply prefer having the DL be used for the exclusive use of holding onto your players who are actually DLed and not as a repository for speculative adds. If you want to do that then I think you they should take up a spot on your bench. This is no different than MLB restricting roster sizes to 25 and 40, etc. I just think that my way feels a little more "pure" and is using the DL in the way intended.

BTW - on CBS you do not have to drop a player to add a DL player to your roster before adding them to your DL. You can simply add the DL player to your team, the lineup is "illegal" for a moment, you move the player to your DL and then your team is legal again.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers