Anthony Slama - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Anthony Slama

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anthony Slama

Postby jamastaballa » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm not sure how fast of a track Slama has in the Twins' organization, but in Rookie ball, low-A ball and A+ ball, he's been the most dominant pitcher I can find. He's got an incredible 14.3 k/9 over his career and in 36 IP in 2008, he struck out 59 batters. That total ranks him in the top 12 for K's with ALL PITCHERS in his league so far this year. On top of that, he boasts a .89 WHIP and 0.50 ERA.

I don't know what his future is, but for this 24-year-old, it looks relatively bright. He played two years of community-college baseball and a year of Division I baseball with USD before getting drafted two years ago, hence his age.
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

R. Martin, G. Atkins, J. Rollins, A. Hill, D. Wright, A. Gordon,
E. Renteria, Crawford, M. Ramirez, P. Burrell, N. Markakis, C. Hart

Lincecum, J. Cueto, H. Street, G. Sherrill, M. Capps, AJ Burnett, Putz, B. Myers, Harden, Bedard,
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Anthony Slama

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Don't know anything about him but immediately warning bells go off when you mentioned his age. It's no wonder he's dominating in the Single A leagues. Moreover, he is a reliever so it's kind of hard to get too excited here. I am surprised that he didn't start the year in AA after a fine initial start last year.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby cardinal1975 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:48 pm

1st the good things
He throws a fastball in the low 90's with good sink that gets a lot of groundballs. His other pitch is an average slider.

Now the defects
He was 3-4 years older than most of his competition last season which helps with his high strikeout numbers. He is now 24 and pitching in High A-ball. Although he is putting up great numbers you should remember he profiles only as a middle reliever and is again 3-4 years older than most of his competition. He should be promoted to Double A this season and possibly to Triple A. He offers very little projection but could be a solid bullpen guy. Not much upside here unfortunately.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jamastaballa » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:01 am

Thanks for the further analysis... I saw the age thing too, but you figure that he'll get a chance at some point if he keeps rocking and rolling against worse competition. I suppose this guy is more of a non-fantasy league helper for the Twins. I just noticed the sweet stats and had to say something.

Thanks! ;-D
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

Lincecum, J. Cueto, H. Street, G. Sherrill, M. Capps, AJ Burnett, Putz, B. Myers, Harden, Bedard,
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby jamastaballa » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Does anyone else have anything on this guy? It seems like the scouting report Cardinal1975 gave doesn't really describe a strikeout pitch, and that's all this kid does.

Any thoughts?
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby cardinal1975 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Here is a scouting breakdown from Jason Grey of ESPN on Anthony Slama

"Slama is a draft-and-follow signee who was picked in the 39th round of the 2006 draft out of San Diego and has emerged as a dominant closer at high Class A.

As a 24-year-old he should be dominating at this level, but it's the extent of his dominance that is intriguing. Slama leads the minor leagues in strikeout rate as well as ERA.

The 6-3 righty has not allowed a homer as a professional while producing a ridiculous strikeout rate with his heavy low-90s sinker from a three-quarters arm slot. His delivery is clean and compact without a lot of wasted effort, allowing him to repeat it well and command to all four quadrants of the strike zone. He adds an average slider to go with his sinker, and his changeup is just a "show me" pitch for lefties that occasionally has a slower delivery and arm speed. The one negative besides his age relative to his level, is that sometimes he tips his pitches and upper-level hitters can exploit that. However, even when he does so, he commands well enough that they still may not be able to do much with it. There are some good skills here to back up the numbers, but again it would be a shock if a polished college pitcher was not dominating the Florida State League to some extent.

The stats speak for themselves. Minor league closers become major league ones far less often than people think, but he's a name to monitor. He's clearly ready for a different level of competition, and we'll have to see how he handles the upper levels of the minors."

Hope this helps shed some more light on him for you. ;-D
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jamastaballa » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:27 am

Just read this today - thanks for posting it! Awesome stuff...
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Return to Minor League & College Baseball