Sheffield - thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sheffield - thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheffield - thoughts?

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 am

Update per his yahoo profile:

Jun 12 Sheffield has begun taking swings and is set to begin hitting live batting practice as he works his way back from a strained left oblique muscle he suffered May 26 at Anaheim.

Advice: This is the 12th time on the DL for the 20-year veteran and nine-time All-Star, who is hitting just .213 with three homers and 12 RBIs in 39 games.

Sportsline:

Detroit DH Gary Sheffield (oblique) is expected to take batting practice Tuesday. He went on the 15-day DL on May 27.
(Updated 06/10/2008).

Fantasy Analysis
Sheffield is eligible to come off the DL soon, but the Tigers might want to give him a rehab stint first, depending on how the batting session goes. He is hitting just .213 with three homers and 12 RBI in 39 games, but he's established himself as a much better hitter than that over his long career. Think about putting in a claim for him if someone dropped him in your league.

Anyone have any more insight on this? He's available in some of my leagues and was curious if he's worth the spot (my DL's are full though, just like most teams this year...what a crazy year for injuries).
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sheffield - thoughts?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:08 am

i dont think he recovered correctly from his shoulder surgery...this may have given him some extra time, but personally i think his shoulder is shot and he is done. if you have room he's worth stashing, but i wouldnt drop anyone productive for him
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mysportsrumors » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 am

i wouldn't touch him, but if you happened to have an open roster spot and there is no one else avail, then go ahead stash him on your dl
http://mysportsrumors.com - sports rumors and news
mysportsrumors
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 am

I believe his shoulder was bothering him as well. Sheffield is to good of a hitter to be this bad. Maybe these two weeks were a blessing in disguise...
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ha_jai » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:57 pm

He was really starting to heat up prior to this latest injury. Might be worth a flier if you have room. Although you should give him a few games back before activating him just to see how his shoulder responds.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm

One word: TOAST
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Howie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 am

Jun 18 Sheffield hit a solo homer and a single in two at-bats and walked twice Tuesday during his second rehab appearance at High-A Lakeland.

Recommendation: Manager Jim Leyland said Sheffield will serve as DH for Lakeland through this week, but he is not playing Friday in order to attend a graduation ceremony, MLive.com reports.

Looks encouraging. However, do you guys think Sheff can contribute [i]at all[i] this year?? :-o
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 am

Howie wrote:
Jun 18 Sheffield hit a solo homer and a single in two at-bats and walked twice Tuesday during his second rehab appearance at High-A Lakeland.

Recommendation: Manager Jim Leyland said Sheffield will serve as DH for Lakeland through this week, but he is not playing Friday in order to attend a graduation ceremony, MLive.com reports.

Looks encouraging. However, do you guys think Sheff can contribute [i]at all[i] this year?? :-o

I wouldn't read much into the numbers. It is High A-Ball and the guy he hit the homerun off of was making his first start of the year (since he was used as a reliever prior to this.) I agree with the others that it's hard to trust a guy who appears to be WELL on the downside of his career. He'll be 40 this year and the last few years have been injury-riddled. :-o
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby stevekahuda » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Eh, he's worth a flyer if you have some bench space. I've got some no-name pitchers eating up space that I'm itching to get rid of, and if he's right he's an incredible player. Even last year he tore the cover off the ball before his injury and I saw him this year and his bat speed didn't look any different. its not like he's Frank Thomas and has to guess fastball to be successful. I think if the rest helped his shoulder he will be a very good outfield option in deep leagues as he runs a decent amount, and the lineup around him is pretty good too.
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm

stevekahuda wrote:Eh, he's worth a flyer if you have some bench space. I've got some no-name pitchers eating up space that I'm itching to get rid of, and if he's right he's an incredible player. Even last year he tore the cover off the ball before his injury and I saw him this year and his bat speed didn't look any different. its not like he's Frank Thomas and has to guess fastball to be successful. I think if the rest helped his shoulder he will be a very good outfield option in deep leagues as he runs a decent amount, and the lineup around him is pretty good too.

Well said. ;D

It just all depends on the depth of your league and how many holes you have in your line-up, whether or not he's worth a gamble.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates