Brett Myers - Worthless Piece of Trash? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Myers - Worthless Piece of Trash?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brett Myers - Worthless Piece of Trash?

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 am

I owned myers in 05 and 06 and loved having one of the most under-rated 3rd tier SPs in baseball. Before 07 he had a good amount of hype and was drafted as a 2nd tier ace in most fantasy leagues. One debacle of a season in the bullpen later, he's back in the starting rotation. Obviously, things aren't going so well, but there are reasons to be optimistic. His K rate is still great, his walk rate isn't astronomical (still not good though), his hr/fb% is abnormally/unluckily high and in the games that i've watched he still seems to be fooling hitters and keeping them off balance, so his stuff seems to still be there.

I'm curious to know what everyone here thinks of Myers for the rest of this season? Do you view him as a legit buy low SP based on some unlucky saber stats? Does he scare the crap out of you and would you stay away? There were reports of diminished velocity earlier in the year, but to my knowledge they've been sorted out. I feel like he's either one step away from revealing some sort of mysterious shoulder injury and being shut down or on his way back to being a stud SP. I can't figure out which is more likely, as i simply haven't seen him pitch enough games. Can anyone out there offer some better insight on him?
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brett Myers - Worthless Piece of Trash?

Postby mkultra » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 am

It's a shame, Myers clearly has ace-level skills, but he's also clearly a hothead. Compound that with Charlie Manuel moving him to the bullpen, to the closer's role, and back to the rotation- despite Myers's repeated public announcements that he doesn't deal well with being shifted around- and you've got a Grade A Head Case.

If you've got an extra spot and can ride him on your bench for a while, you can try using him as trade leverage if/when he puts a few starts in a row together. If he's somehow traded, I think his value would go way up because a big chunk of his troubles seem to be tied to Manuel and the Phils. But I think he's only worth starting in a points league on a 2-start week at this point, since you can probably count on getting 1 decent start out of that.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Broncmet724 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 am

I've picked him up and stashed him in several leagues. He's made some good starts lately so he's gotten a couple of starts for me
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:31 am

Broncmet724 wrote:I've picked him up and stashed him in several leagues. He's made some good starts lately so he's gotten a couple of starts for me

ive done the same. hoping he turns it around, which i think he will
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby hot4tx » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:39 am

He's been better over the past month. I think he's a decent buy-low candidate. I'd be a little wary of starting him on the road right now, depending on matchups and how your week is going.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby King Tim » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:24 pm

He's just giving up to many homeruns right now. If he can get that problem fixed, he will be fine.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:12 pm

The reality is that Myers has never been an ace and was over rated to be suggested as one.
His 2005 was very good but even then he had a 3.72 ERA . Good but far from great and that was his career season. His overall career numbers suggest a 4th starter at best. Way too hittable and taken way too early this year.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm

the key is not to start him on the road... he has been horrid on the road... so i'm starting him exclusively at home from here on out... and if he starts to stink at home... i'm dropping him and streaming the waiver wire instead...
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers