AL Cy Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Matthias wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Kazmir is actually a whole 50 innings pitched behind Halladay right now, and that number is only likely to increase as the season goes along. How much would something like that come into play if their wins/ERA were similar at the end?

Pretty significantly, actually. I remember last year with Sabathia and Beckett having similar wins/ERA (19-7 vs. 20-7 and 3.21 vs. 3.27) a number of sportswriters I read said that the difference for them was that Sabathia was more of a workhorse for his team (241 IP vs. 200 2/3).

I think there's also a flavor to the Cy Young that it's who "dominated" the league the most so K's have a minor factor into the decision, but only if there's a gross disparity between the two.

Yeah, K's definitely do matter. I remember Ks being a major reason why Bedard was getting significant consideration prior to his injury.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wurmz07 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:47 am

jdsun1 wrote:
Sid Bream's Slide wrote:cole hamels

;-D

I say Kazmir for the AL. Great stats so far and he has always had excellent talent. It doesn't hurt that they Rays are winning. Now where are the guys who were saying Shields would be better this year than Kazmir? :-?

I'm still a believer!
wurmz07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tah161 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:54 am

Did you guys forget about Dice-K? I know he is hurt so that may not help his chances but I still think he will be in the race.

As for my way out in left field pick im going with Johan "Ervin" Santana.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Apparently Halladay has been getting some help from the press box.

Now the Cubs know what Orlando Cabrera was thinking when the White Sox shortstop called the Toronto press box last month to complain about a scoring decision. Manager Lou Piniella was puzzled by a scoring change during Saturday's 6-2 win that gave Toronto shortstop David Eckstein an error on Ronny Cedeno's second-inning shot up the middle that resulted in the first Cubs run. Eckstein had to go far to his left and dive just to get his glove on the ball, which glanced off it. Official scorer Doug Hobbs originally called it a hit but changed the decision after Reed Johnson's three-run home run off Roy Halladay. With the error, all four runs off Halladay became unearned, helping keep his earned-run average at 3.09.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Matthias wrote:Apparently Halladay has been getting some help from the press box.

Now the Cubs know what Orlando Cabrera was thinking when the White Sox shortstop called the Toronto press box last month to complain about a scoring decision. Manager Lou Piniella was puzzled by a scoring change during Saturday's 6-2 win that gave Toronto shortstop David Eckstein an error on Ronny Cedeno's second-inning shot up the middle that resulted in the first Cubs run. Eckstein had to go far to his left and dive just to get his glove on the ball, which glanced off it. Official scorer Doug Hobbs originally called it a hit but changed the decision after Reed Johnson's three-run home run off Roy Halladay. With the error, all four runs off Halladay became unearned, helping keep his earned-run average at 3.09.

Have you actually seen the error in question?

After fumbling with a ground ball to his left that an average shortstop makes, he starts crawling on his hands and knees after it as it's rolling away. It's kind of hard not to laugh at him. If he had decided to stand up and pick the ball up, he still would have had a chance to toss it to 2nd.

If you want to bring up help that Roy Halladay gets, bring up the incredibly favourable strike zone he gets from umpires, not a clear error by David Eckstein.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:38 pm

And I'm not sure what Orlando Cabrera has to do with anything. He decided to call the press box last month about changing an error from himself to his second basemen. It certainly wasn't any sort of favouritism in that situation, because there was no hit.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:46 pm

mweir145 wrote:If you want to bring up help that Roy Halladay gets, bring up the incredibly favourable strike zone he gets from umpires, not a clear error by David Eckstein.

Just to make what I said understandable: http://bjays.wordpress.com/archives/a-gentle-massage/

And this isn't an error? http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gam ... NHeadlines

Edit: This video was working when I first looked at it...it's gone now...?

Halladay isn't Dave Stieb, btw. He doesn't care about his ERA. It was probably changed because the guy changed his mind or the Jays PR guy called up to request it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Matthias wrote:Apparently Halladay has been getting some help from the press box.

Have you actually seen the error in question?

No, but I didn't write the quote in question, either; Sports Illustrated did. That's why it's in, you know, quotes.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am

Matthias wrote:[No, but I didn't write the quote in question, either; Sports Illustrated did. That's why it's in, you know, quotes.

I realized you didn't write the question, but I was still asking you mine.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though. ;-7
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby ScrappyDoo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:31 pm

If he can stay healthy by some sort of miracle, Harden will have a great shot. Obviously that is a big if, but he's been lights out this year.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers