AL Cy Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:33 am

Cliff Lee obviously wins if he is half this good from this point out. Since I doubt that, I think Kazmir would be the obvious choice if he stays healthy- he obviously is the best while on the mound right now besides Lee. All that said, it almost certainly will be Wang or Beckett- both should have 17-20 wins, Wang is way overrated in the mainstream media, and Beckett is still riding the hype from last year.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1057
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:49 am

kcs261 wrote:
zhutou wrote:cliff lee has started to come back to earth and he won't stop falling either. dicek was my pick at the beginning of the season and i'm still sticking with him despite the dl stint.


Lee has come back to earth? You mean he won't pitch with an ERA in the 1's all season long? People, Lee had a couple so-so starts. So what? It happens to everybody. But its not like he got bombed. Anyway, I just think people are mad they didn't grab Lee when they had the chance and he went to other owners. The pessimism seems like sour grapes.

Lee had a 1.40 WHIP in May, and in June he's had poor numbers in 2 starts so far. He is coming back to earth, and fairly quickly at that. He still has a good K/BB and HR/9, however.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 am

Kazmir is actually a whole 50 innings pitched behind Halladay right now, and that number is only likely to increase as the season goes along. How much would something like that come into play if their wins/ERA were similar at the end?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby zhutou » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:12 am

kcs261 wrote:
zhutou wrote:cliff lee has started to come back to earth and he won't stop falling either. dicek was my pick at the beginning of the season and i'm still sticking with him despite the dl stint.


Lee has come back to earth? You mean he won't pitch with an ERA in the 1's all season long? People, Lee had a couple so-so starts. So what? It happens to everybody. But its not like he got bombed. Anyway, I just think people are mad they didn't grab Lee when they had the chance and he went to other owners. The pessimism seems like sour grapes.


lol keep telling yourself that buddy. i wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole. pretty obvious you own lee too. :-°
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1479
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:30 am

mweir145 wrote:Kazmir is actually a whole 50 innings pitched behind Halladay right now, and that number is only likely to increase as the season goes along. How much would something like that come into play if their wins/ERA were similar at the end?

Pretty significantly, actually. I remember last year with Sabathia and Beckett having similar wins/ERA (19-7 vs. 20-7 and 3.21 vs. 3.27) a number of sportswriters I read said that the difference for them was that Sabathia was more of a workhorse for his team (241 IP vs. 200 2/3).

I think there's also a flavor to the Cy Young that it's who "dominated" the league the most so K's have a minor factor into the decision, but only if there's a gross disparity between the two.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 am

Pretty much a toss-up right now for me between Marcum, Santana, and Lee. Still a long ways to go and probably 6 or 7 other guys I could see being a part of the discussion.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11066
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby flloyd » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:55 am

Matthias wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Kazmir is actually a whole 50 innings pitched behind Halladay right now, and that number is only likely to increase as the season goes along. How much would something like that come into play if their wins/ERA were similar at the end?

Pretty significantly, actually. I remember last year with Sabathia and Beckett having similar wins/ERA (19-7 vs. 20-7 and 3.21 vs. 3.27) a number of sportswriters I read said that the difference for them was that Sabathia was more of a workhorse for his team (241 IP vs. 200 2/3).

I think there's also a flavor to the Cy Young that it's who "dominated" the league the most so K's have a minor factor into the decision, but only if there's a gross disparity between the two.


Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to say.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby flloyd » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:01 am

jlm53089 wrote:Kazmir sadly will not win it because he plays in Tampa and honestly we do not get any respect because of it.
He has a good shot but keep that in mind.

So my pick to win it is Beckett. but most deserving in the end i think will be Kazmir.


That's ridiculous. Tampa has never got any respect because they have never earned any. And even how lousy they have been over the years people have still always talked up their up-and-comers. Now they have finally turned the corner and fans and writers are definitely giving them their due props. SI, ESPN, etc have all run articles about how great they're doing and they're the real deal. And I really don't think being on Tampa is going to negatively affect Kazmir's chances. Look at Minnesota and Oakland, they're both small market teams that have earned a ton of respect and CY/MVP awards because they play great as a team and have great individuals. As long as Kazmir keeps this up and Tampa plays winning ball he can definitely join Santana, Morneau, Giambi, Zito, Tejada, etc as an award winner on a small market team. As long as Tampa/Kazmir earn respect they'll be shown some respect.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:39 pm

For me, Halladay is the frontrunner, but I'd throw in Marcum, Ervin Santana, and Cliff Lee. It should be interesting how missing out the first month and assuming he's healthy and up to form, if Kazmir comes out with the Cy. On pure form, I think he would.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21672
(Past Year: 452)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:20 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Kazmir sadly will not win it because he plays in Tampa and honestly we do not get any respect because of it.
He has a good shot but keep that in mind.

Not that this has anything, really, to do with the AL Cy Young but it reminded me of this comment and I thought it was funny (via FJM)....
http://bp1.blogger.com/_HyoH5G6YZ5A/SE7 ... cuting.jpg
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coryyd2, HotRephoantee, Ray Zorback, robertsy1, TheTrith and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact