AL Cy Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AL Cy Young?

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 pm

acsguitar wrote:I'm going with sabathia as a dark horse just cause he's a stud and will turn it around. I think Halladay and Kaz are injury risks and I don't buy Cliff Lee.

Halladay is no more an injury risk than CC or any other pitcher for that matter. He would be my pick to win it. Cliff Lee may go close to 20 wins which will certainly put him in the frame but I don't see him holding his ERA below 3.50 before the season is out.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Halladay or Kazmir
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Halladay is actually pitching better than I've ever seen him. He leads the AL in IP by 9 despite having one less start than everyone below him. He's 4th in ERA and 2nd in WHIP. He leads the majors in K/BB by a large margin. He's also 2nd in FIP behind only Cliff Lee.

Still, it's all about wins, not who is actually the best pitcher. If Toronto's offense gets their act together, he'd be my choice for sure (I don't think Marcum can keep it up). Because of that I still really like the chances of Ervin Santana (he's having an amazing year), Chien-Ming Wang, and Josh Beckett.

As for Halladay being an injury risk, well I'm not sure. I've come to believe, especially in recent seasons, that Halladay pitches hurt a lot. He usually doesn't go on the DL even if he's having arm problems (or what the Jays call "forearm soreness") , but it seems to limit his effectiveness. So far he looks fine, so we'll just have to wait and see about that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:Halladay is actually pitching better than I've ever seen him. He leads the AL in IP by 9 despite having one less start than everyone below him. He's 4th in ERA and 2nd in WHIP. He leads the majors in K/BB by a large margin. He's also 2nd in FIP behind only Cliff Lee.

Still, it's all about wins, not who is actually the best pitcher. If Toronto's offense gets their act together, he'd be my choice for sure (I don't think Marcum can keep it up). Because of that I still really like the chances of Ervin Santana (he's having an amazing year), Chien-Ming Wang, and Josh Beckett.

As for Halladay being an injury risk, well I'm not sure. I've come to believe, especially in recent seasons, that Halladay pitches hurt a lot. He usually doesn't go on the DL even if he's having arm problems (or what the Jays call "forearm soreness") , but it seems to limit his effectiveness. So far he looks fine, so we'll just have to wait and see about that.

Ervin Santana is a solid choice, I actually forgot about him even though he's on my team. We all knew he had the stuff to be a very good pitcher, he's just finally pitching good on the road too (3.50 era)
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Not that I would put him in first (or even second), but I would say Matsuzaka at least deserves to be part of the conversation if we're going off of numbers so far this year.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm

cole hamels
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Sid Bream's Slide wrote:cole hamels

;-D

I say Kazmir for the AL. Great stats so far and he has always had excellent talent. It doesn't hurt that they Rays are winning. Now where are the guys who were saying Shields would be better this year than Kazmir? :-?
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Matthias wrote:Not that I would put him in first (or even second), but I would say Matsuzaka at least deserves to be part of the conversation if we're going off of numbers so far this year.

I just went with Beckett off Boston because I think he's a much better pitcher than Dice-K, and he should finish with better stats in the end.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Sabathia beat out Beckett last year basically because he pitched at a high level for many more innings (fifty or so, I believe). Using that criteria, you'd have to go with Halladay at this point.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers