Putz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Putz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Putz

Postby haymarket » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm

JJ Putz left in the bottom of the ninth today with an apparent arm injury.
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Putz

Postby mcd285 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

They are saying it is minor elbow soreness and McLaren is considering it day to day. However, Putz has not been good all year. It was apparent something was not right. Morrow should be picked up for sure.
mcd285
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shinedog » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:05 am

Courtesy of the Disabled List Informer (http://www.disabledlistinformer.com)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times and others are reporting that the MRI of J.J. Putz ’s right elbow revealed no structural damage, but Dr. Edward Khalfayan diagnosed him with Ulnar nerve irritation and Triceps tendon inflammation that are results of an elbow hyperextension.

The good news is that the Ulnar Collateral Ligament appears to be uninvolved, as well as the wrist flexor muscle groups. The not-so-good news is that irritated nerves typically take more than a few days of rest to subside, so while they are holding out hope that he will be fine by early next week, I would hedge my bets and say that they’ll take the safe route here and place him on the DL at that point. Recovery from ulnar neuritis can often by slow and incomplete, and nerve tissue is easily exacerbated. Why risk further damage? Just let it rest, then he should be good to go.
shinedog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mysportsrumors » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 am

hopefully you had Brandon Morrow as a handcuff, or was able to pick up. he'll be picking up all the save opps
http://mysportsrumors.com - sports rumors and news
mysportsrumors
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 pm

mysportsrumors wrote:hopefully you had Brandon Morrow as a handcuff, or was able to pick up. he'll be picking up all the save opps

Only 6 out of 30 teams have had fewer Save Ops then Seattle and only 6 teams fewer saves. I don't know how many saves were blown before the 9th inning. While worth a pickup you probably shouldn't expect many saves unless Putz goes on the DL and misses more then the minimum amount of time.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Putz to the DL... and I didn't have any room to pick up Morrow... not that he'll be getting save opps anyways... and he's got the shoulder issues... but has GREAT stuff... damn it JJ!!!
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:02 pm

PavanoAllstars wrote:Putz to the DL... and I didn't have any room to pick up Morrow... not that he'll be getting save opps anyways... and he's got the shoulder issues... but has GREAT stuff... damn it JJ!!!

I guess I don't know why a lot of people have been saying that Morrow won't be getting the save opps...he got the first one when Putz first was hurt and he's got sick #'s so far...my money's on Morrow getting a handful of SV while Putz is out.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby AmericanShipbuilding » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:24 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:
PavanoAllstars wrote:Putz to the DL... and I didn't have any room to pick up Morrow... not that he'll be getting save opps anyways... and he's got the shoulder issues... but has GREAT stuff... damn it JJ!!!

I guess I don't know why a lot of people have been saying that Morrow won't be getting the save opps...he got the first one when Putz first was hurt and he's got sick #'s so far...my money's on Morrow getting a handful of SV while Putz is out.

I think you're misinterpreting what people are saying: It's not that Morrow won't get the opps, it's that the opps won't be there for him to get. Have there even been a dozen save opps for Seattle this year? Not just Putz, but the entire team?
AmericanShipbuilding
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 pm

The save opps will eventually come, even closers on the worst of teams get saves.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:05 pm

AmericanShipbuilding wrote:I think you're misinterpreting what people are saying: It's not that Morrow won't get the opps, it's that the opps won't be there for him to get.

That's the point exactly. Although this weekends battle with WAS to see which bad team is worse could result in a couple of save ops.

AmericanShipbuilding wrote:Have there even been a dozen save opps for Seattle this year? Not just Putz, but the entire team?

Just going on memory from my earlier post I believe I found as a team Seattle has had 22 save ops and 13 saves. Now you have to remember save ops and blown saves don't exist only in the 9th inning. Blown saves can occur in the 8th when a setup man fails to hold a lead. I don't know the rules, so I'm not sure if they can occur in the 7th inning, but I'd guess no. I don't know where to find out how many save ops they've actually had in the 9th inning, but it's definitely less then those 22. Putz had 3 BS so adding that to 13 total save as a team and say at least 3 or 4 of those 22 were blown before the 9th inning. So in about 40% of the season seattle has generated less then 20 9th inning save opps.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates