Scherzer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Scherzer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scherzer

Postby pizzaboy76 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:19 am

Will he remain in this middle relief role that he has been struggling in or will he eventually be put back in the starting rotation? I'm holding on to him, but wanted to see if there was any positive or negative news coming out of Arizona.
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scherzer

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 am

He definitely looked a lot better as a starter. Im hanging on to him too. I think Owings/Davis will falter or the Unit will get hurt. Since the DBacks are in contention they'll be forced to make a move before the season slips away on them.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:17 am

I expect him to stay as an RP for most of the year.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deutschland » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm

his situation hasn't changed since the rest of the rotation is still healthy. if he continues to struggle like he has been recently, though, i wouldn't be surprised to see him get sent back to the minors until a rotation spot becomes available again.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pizzaboy76 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 am

Anyone think they are keeping him as a RP for the time being to keep his innings down so he'll be fresh as a SP in the 2nd half and playoffs?
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:52 am

well i don't know about scherzer but i took the same route with joba chamberlain in 2 of my leagues and it looks like it will pay out nicely. if scherzer can find some success in the bullpen he greatly lowers your ERA/WHIP while getting pretty good K's for a BP guy. the ultimate goal as fantasy owners is you want him in the rotation though. i fully expect scherzer to be back in the rotation in the second half. i wanna say maybe end of july.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dems Bums » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Montana168 wrote:well i don't know about scherzer but i took the same route with joba chamberlain in 2 of my leagues and it looks like it will pay out nicely. if scherzer can find some success in the bullpen he greatly lowers your ERA/WHIP while getting pretty good K's for a BP guy. the ultimate goal as fantasy owners is you want him in the rotation though. i fully expect scherzer to be back in the rotation in the second half. i wanna say maybe end of july.

I'm actually liking him in the RP role right now on my team. We have a maximum innings rule for pitchers, and I'm over the average right now, so I'm hoping he'll give some good stats per innings pitched before he comes back to the rotation. I think he'll be back later in the season though (just a gut feeling looking at that lineup...).
Dems Bums
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazing Oopah » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:33 pm

as long as Davis and RJ are healthy (big if with RJ), Scherzer isn't likely to get any starts any time soon IMO.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Chuckd05 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:10 pm

davis is an average at best pitcher... he would be fine out of the bullpen.. he will start again, or like once said they will send him down to start... max has phenomenal stuff he is a waste in the bullpen as a middle reliever in blowout games etc... the mets beat up davis and he came in right after and shut them down... how many times can that happen before they are forced to make the switch ? im not dropping him for that logical reason...

he is a better pitcher than davis... and prob a few others on that staff, yea he is young but he has shown he is a dominant pitcher who one day will be an ace of a staff imo..

id hold on to him if at all possible , i have faith that he will be starting relatively soon.
Chuckd05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ursa » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm hanging on until after the ASB at least
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)