Clay Buchholz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Clay Buchholz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby NWSoxaholic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:32 am

This is by far the smartest move... anyone who follows the Sox would have an idea of how terrible their MR is. Buchholz is the better starter now and they obviously think highly enough of Masterson to know that he's needed on the big team instead of sitting in AAA.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby felixthecat011 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:01 am

My biggest concern would be Colon's return.
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 am

absolutely. i think cbs also hinted that bucholz would loose his spot in the rotation if colon came back. It would make sense from that standpoint for many reasons b/c the sox will prob move bucholz alon w/ already amasterson to pen to keep thier inngs down if they make playoffs and also need them to strength their spotty bullpen.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 am

I doubt Buchholz ever moves to the pen. I can't imagine the Red Sox would screw around with his development like that.

If Colon comes back and the Red Sox don't want to send Wakefield to the pen and noone else is injured, I think it's more likely Clay gets sent to AAA on strict pitch counts.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby elvis1074 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 pm

To me this sounds like Colon is not making much progress. Looks like Bucholtz will be fine for at least a few starts.

From Rotoworld:

Manager Terry Francona said Wednesday that Bartolo Colon will back off his rehab schedule because of a strained oblique.

"I think we felt like we're fighting," Francona said. "We didn't want to go this route because it's not the right thing to do. We have the All-Star break coming up so we're just going to back him off a couple days. We'll get him back throwing probably Friday, Saturday and then let him go home and when we get back we'll restart this thing. I just think weren't real comfortable with how this was progressing."
elvis1074
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby steela2110 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:53 pm

Colon is terrible... why would the red sox ever want him starting over Clay?
steela2110
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:10 pm

colon has been effective in the starst he had this seaosn so far. Im just saying the only reaon it would would make sense is because the red sox obv need to limit limit him at some pt. if they want his services in the postseason if they make it . and they need help in the pen. If they are toying with masterson to th epen i dont understand y they wouldnt w/ bucholz. Either way it would make sense to strengthen their spotty bullpen. It also inferred the same thing on cbs sportsline but its all speculation so we just gonna wait and see but this is what could happen.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:49 pm

I'll give you 3-to-1 odds that Buccholz does not move to the pen, big league or otherwise, this season.

Why? Because the Red Sox see him as a potential future ace of the squad and they don't want to mess up the next 3-5+ years of their staff for bullpen help today. People with lower ceilings, like Masterson, they are more willing to put in as needed. Buchholz will be starting in Boston or Pawtucket or be injured... I don't see any other option.

Why would the Red Sox start Colon over Buchholz?
A) They can send Buchholz down to the minors without any real waves; Colon would basically demand to be traded.
B) It would allow them to more tightly regulate Clay's innings.
C) Colon wasn't that bad: 3-to-1 K-to-BB ratio and a respectable ERA for the AL East.

Now, based upon Colon's progress (or lack thereof) from injury, that might be a while, August say. But if Colon is 100% healthy and effective, it wouldn't shock me to see him start over Buchholz.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:09 pm

yea that can happen also. i am also a bucholz owner so i def wnt him in the rotation. Im just saying that its a possibilty a healthy colon could return and take his spot in the rotation. The bullpen was pure speculation on my part and cbs hinted also . It would just make sense b/c the red sox dont really have a 8th inng guy this yr as okajima has just been above avg and there bullpen spotty so maybe pull a joba type situaion for the sox. Only time will tell who will be right but there should be a concern of colon starting over clay wen he returns is all im saying. but hopefully thats not the case
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:24 pm

Matthias wrote:Now, based upon Colon's progress (or lack thereof) from injury, that might be a while, August say. But if Colon is 100% healthy and effective, it wouldn't shock me to see him start over Buchholz.

Buchholz performance before any return of Colon would have a lot do with whatever decision they make. If Clay puts up the numbers to match his talent I don't think an intelligent GM and manager, which I think they have in Boston, are going to take him out of the rotation, not in a pennant race. Also it would seem odd to make this move after a pretty good Masterson start if they only envisioned Clay starting until Colon came back, unless they aren't expecting Colon back until September.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates