Clay Buchholz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Clay Buchholz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clay Buchholz

Postby DetroitTigers » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:44 am

Do you guys think Buchholz will be in the Red Sox rotation in the near future?? I want to drop Zimmerman (i have Lowell) and i need the pitching help. I think he is kind of flying under the radar because he was on the DL and is now in the minors. I just don't feel like zimmerman is going to be productive this year. The labral tear affected Carols Quentin last year and Zimm doesn't have much help in the Nats lineup anyway. I'm fine having Lowell, who is a nice steady hitter. What do you guys think about Buchholz prospects for the rest of the year??
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby dweenmachine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:27 am

I doubt we'll see too much of Clay in the future, for this season... with the addition of Colon to the rotation combined with the chance that Schilling could make it back this year, he might get an occasional call up for a spot start at best. In Dice-K/Clay's absense, Masterson has also made a case to stay in the rotation... but he's gone once Dice-K comes off of the DL.

Sox' probable rotation:
Beckett
Dice-K
Colon
Lester
Wakefield
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Caveman_Nick » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 am

Colon has options as well, so if he is not sharp you might see Buchholz again. Of course when Dice-K and Schilling are ready to pitch, you will have:

Beckett
Dice-k
Schilling
Lester
Wakefield
Oog.
Caveman_Nick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:23 pm

No, I think Bucholz is going to spend the entire season in AAA this year. I'll bet he doesn't make a single start again this year.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 pm

thejusman1 wrote:No, I think Bucholz is going to spend the entire season in AAA this year. I'll bet he doesn't make a single start again this year.

I'm honestly mystified by the whole situation, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

It was weird; I checked all of my regular sources (Boston Globe, Cafe, Sons of Sam Horn) and really nothing in the way of conversation as to when Buchholz is coming back. Which leaves me with my own gut feelings, which are (barring new injuries)...

Beckett is not going anywhere, obviously. One spot in the rotation taken.
Daisuke will reclaim his spot once he's back up to health, which is supposed to be soon. Two spots down.
Lester is going to stay up; he was brought up in 2006 and if not for his fight with cancer, would have about 2 years of experience by now. And he's a pretty solid leftie. Three spots taken.
Now you have two spots for: Colon, Wakefield, Buchholz, and Masterson.

Let's deal with the easy question: if Buchholz gets himself sharp (which has been happening in the minors) he gets the spot over Masterson. I don't care about YTD numbers; Buchholz has the stuff, he has more experience, Masterson will get his spot in the rotation permanently, but it won't be this year.

Ok, so what about Colon? Colon is very difficult for the Sox, both because he has been pitching very well and because he has an expectation of pitching in the majors. His contract with the Sox included an opt out clause for him if he wasn't pitching in the majors by May 1st (subsequently pushed back to June 1st). Now that date has passed, but clearly he would be more disgruntled than some other guys if he got sent down or sent to the pen. I'll say he has the fourth spot unless and until he completely blows up and agrees with the club that he needs further work.

So.... Wakefield? Wakefield is a guy who could easily fill the role Julian Tavarez played until he was DFA'ed. He has a rubber arm since he's basically playing catch and has been a starter, a closer, and middle relief in his 84 years or whatever it is with the Sox. Tito seems to have a little bit of a crush on him, but I think moving Wakefield to the pen would be very possible (and it wouldn't tick him off too much).

So you have Wakefield or Buchholz... in my mind, you promote Buchholz when he's ready, send Materson down to the minors, and put Wake in the pen. At least until Schilling looks like he's actually ready to start in which case you run through this whole thing again and I think Buchholz does end up in the minors or someone ends up getting traded or, as it always happens, someone gets injured.

The upshot of all of this is that I think Buchholz comes back up in the next couple of weeks. They really aren't interested in keeping him in AAA if he's on his game.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yanks924 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:01 pm

don't drop zimmerman
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:22 pm

So, basically, Bucholz does not deserve a roster spot on a fantasy baseball team.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:36 pm

thejusman1 wrote:So, basically, Bucholz does not deserve a roster spot on a fantasy baseball team.

Depends on the league.

In an 8-team league, no.

In a 12-team mixed league, I still have him on my bench until further news comes out.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby obpercent1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:26 pm

DetroitTigers wrote:Do you guys think Buchholz will be in the Red Sox rotation in the near future?? I want to drop Zimmerman (i have Lowell) and i need the pitching help. I think he is kind of flying under the radar because he was on the DL and is now in the minors. I just don't feel like zimmerman is going to be productive this year. The labral tear affected Carols Quentin last year and Zimm doesn't have much help in the Nats lineup anyway. I'm fine having Lowell, who is a nice steady hitter. What do you guys think about Buchholz prospects for the rest of the year??

I have season tickets to the Pawsox & Clay is down here for a while to work on establishing his fastball & not rely on his offspeed stuff so much. Has not looked good so far, but a work in progress. The only way he goes up is with an long injury to a starter, but I think they go with
David Pauley or Bowden for a 1 or 2 start period & keep Clay in Pawtucket to work on the above.
obpercent1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby obpercent1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:27 pm

DetroitTigers wrote:Do you guys think Buchholz will be in the Red Sox rotation in the near future?? I want to drop Zimmerman (i have Lowell) and i need the pitching help. I think he is kind of flying under the radar because he was on the DL and is now in the minors. I just don't feel like zimmerman is going to be productive this year. The labral tear affected Carols Quentin last year and Zimm doesn't have much help in the Nats lineup anyway. I'm fine having Lowell, who is a nice steady hitter. What do you guys think about Buchholz prospects for the rest of the year??

I have season tickets to the Pawsox & Clay is down here for a while to work on establishing his fastball & not rely on his offspeed stuff so much. Has not looked good so far, but a work in progress. The only way he goes up is with an long injury to a starter, but I think they go with
David Pauley or Bowden for a 1 or 2 start period & keep Clay in Pawtucket to work on the above.
obpercent1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates