Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:52 am

I think most men do not give a crap (pardon the pun). Women on the other hand, especially young women, would not be comfortable at all.

Snakes Gould wrote:its not as though women are running around in the bathroom without bras and underwear.

Right. And this is shame. I'd frequent public restrooms far more often. :-D
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 am

Im not a lawyer or anything, but I think the most interesting thing about the new addition to the anti-discrimination laws is the inclusion of things that many people see as lifestyle choices (religion, sexuality) as opposed to things like race and being handicapped which are not choices.

As for the Christian viewpoint, obviously they are going to fight any legislation that supports gay rights. Because of the fact that they see homosexuality as simply another sin, they see this kind of legislation as similar to giving liars or thieves acceptance under the laws eyes. I say this to hopefully shed some understanding upon their stance.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 am

Snakes Gould wrote:question....why are there even separate bathrooms anymore to begin with? if there were just stalls, would anyone really have a problem with peeing next to someone of an opposite gender even if there was a wall separating you? its not as though women are running around in the bathroom without bras and underwear. now, a shower or changing room, i see the need for separation, but why just a restroom?


dont they have that pink box of doom for used feminine products? i remember we had to use the girls locker room for an away football game once and they had that and the whole locker room stunk
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:As for the Christian viewpoint, obviously they are going to fight any legislation that supports gay rights. Because of the fact that they see homosexuality as simply another sin, they see this kind of legislation as similar to giving liars or thieves acceptance under the laws eyes. I say this to hopefully shed some understanding upon their stance.

To be clear, it's the ultra-right-wing Christians that do this. There are a fair number of Christians who will not bat an eyelash at this; unfortunately, those are the silent ones. It's the vocal part of any group that gives them their good/bad name.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:41 pm

knapplc wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:As for the Christian viewpoint, obviously they are going to fight any legislation that supports gay rights. Because of the fact that they see homosexuality as simply another sin, they see this kind of legislation as similar to giving liars or thieves acceptance under the laws eyes. I say this to hopefully shed some understanding upon their stance.

To be clear, it's the ultra-right-wing Christians that do this. There are a fair number of Christians who will not bat an eyelash at this; unfortunately, those are the silent ones. It's the vocal part of any group that gives them their good/bad name.


OK then, its the Bible that says homosexuality is a sin. Therefore, if a Christian doesnt think homosexuality is a sin and they are aware that the Bible says it is and that the Bible is God's Word, then are they really Christians or have they adopted a more convenient path yet still call themselves Christian even though they believe in a viewpoint that contradicts God's Word?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Man the cafe's got religious over the last month.
:-°
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:00 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:As for the Christian viewpoint, obviously they are going to fight any legislation that supports gay rights. Because of the fact that they see homosexuality as simply another sin, they see this kind of legislation as similar to giving liars or thieves acceptance under the laws eyes. I say this to hopefully shed some understanding upon their stance.

To be clear, it's the ultra-right-wing Christians that do this. There are a fair number of Christians who will not bat an eyelash at this; unfortunately, those are the silent ones. It's the vocal part of any group that gives them their good/bad name.


OK then, its the Bible that says homosexuality is a sin. Therefore, if a Christian doesnt think homosexuality is a sin and they are aware that the Bible says it is and that the Bible is God's Word, then are they really Christians or have they adopted a more convenient path yet still call themselves Christian even though they believe in a viewpoint that contradicts God's Word?


That's your interpretation.

Also it's slightly offensive. If I hear you right, and I believe that I do, anybody who does not believe in an interpretation of the Bible that calls homosexuality a sin is contradicting the word of God may not be a real Christian? Not cool.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Cornbread, there's a pretty long explanation that goes into what you're asking re: Christianity. This isn't a place for proseletyzing so I'm not going to get into that lengthy discussion, but I will say that what you are citing is not my belief, and I can back my belief up with scripture.

Further, there is the concept of "love the sinner, hate the sin." If we were to prosecute all sinners not one person would go free, right? I'm not that hypocrite who's going to say that Person X's sin is greater than mine. It's not.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:46 am

Mookie4ever wrote:That's your interpretation.

Also it's slightly offensive. If I hear you right, and I believe that I do, anybody who does not believe in an interpretation of the Bible that calls homosexuality a sin is contradicting the word of God may not be a real Christian? Not cool.


How would you interperate Romans 1, 26-27 or Leviticus 18, 22? I cant understand how someone could read those scriptures and not come away with an interpretation that doesnt indicate the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. If I am missing something, let me know.

Mookie - Im sorry if what I am saying to you is offensive. But the fact is there are tons of people out there who call themselves Christians but are only fooling themselves. The Bible isnt a menu that you can pick and choose those parts that are convenient to you, and if you believe only parts of what the Bible says but disagree with other parts, thats not what being a Christian is either.

Knapp - I really would like to see the explanation you are referring to. As for your point about loving the sinner and hating the sin, I couldnt agree with you more and Im sorry if I ever gave a different impression. The strongest and most prevalent message Jesus taught us was to love each other - bottom line. I wake up every day as a sinner just like everyone else. My sins are no less or more than anyone elses in God's eyes since they all seperate us from Him. I dont believe I have ever said otherwise. The point is to speak out about sin, not the sinner.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colorado Expands Anti-Discrimination Laws

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:27 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:That's your interpretation.

Also it's slightly offensive. If I hear you right, and I believe that I do, anybody who does not believe in an interpretation of the Bible that calls homosexuality a sin is contradicting the word of God may not be a real Christian? Not cool.


How would you interperate Romans 1, 26-27 or Leviticus 18, 22? I cant understand how someone could read those scriptures and not come away with an interpretation that doesnt indicate the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. If I am missing something, let me know.

Mookie - Im sorry if what I am saying to you is offensive. But the fact is there are tons of people out there who call themselves Christians but are only fooling themselves. The Bible isnt a menu that you can pick and choose those parts that are convenient to you, and if you believe only parts of what the Bible says but disagree with other parts, thats not what being a Christian is either.



Are you saying that there is no debate at all with respect to what the Bible says about homosexuality? There's tons of debate over what these passages mean. It's arrogant to say that your interpretation is the only correct one and to judge anyone who doesn't agree with you as a hypocrite and not a true Christian.

Please don't come in here and tell people that they are not really Christians because they do not agree with you.

And Knapp and anyone else please do not engage Cornbread in a debate about Bible interpretation. There is an absolute zero chance that anyone will be convinced and will only lead problems.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact