Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst draft ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Worst draft ever?

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:47 pm

sblinyy wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
sblinyy wrote:
Can you explain to me why konerko is more valuable than Giambi? more than just he plays more. Because we don't measure value on the person who plays the most.

Umm, actually you do when you have two very similar players.

Both 35-40 HR pop and both incredibly streaky hitters who don't hit for a great BA.

Konerko will have at least 100 AB's more than Giambi this season if both stay healthy. That is a ton of production you are misisng out on by keeping Giambi in your 1B slot.

That's a ton of bad production I am missing out on. So you think Konerko will hit 35 to 40 or are you just saying that he has done it before. Becaue there is no way IMO he will hit 35 to 40. He is currently at 7, along with a .211 batting average.

Konerko and Giambi are about even from this point all things being equal. Konerko will produce more though because he will have 70-75 more AB's from here. You need cover for Giambi when he doesn't play.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tah161 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:10 am

Wow dude its only the first two months of the season and your allready giving up. Your guys can easily turn it around if they get on a hot streak.

Relax and let the season unfold.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:25 am

Re: Konerko --

Even cursory research indicates how poorly he always starts, and then he gets going. Dropping him early feeds into his trend while ignoring the trend to come. Of late he's shown signs of turning it around (esp. the past three days). You'll probably end up regretting dropping him moreso than dropping Damon.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Russell James » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:26 pm

M-Cab will bounce back...I hope.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Good time to revisit again what a small part draft day truly does have on the end result in fantasy baseball. Particularly leagues with daily / unlimited transactions and IP / position maximums.

Do you think that anyone that drafted the guys below should be in at least the top half of his 12 team 5x5 roto league?

Ryan Howard, Albert Pujols, Garrett Atkins, Álex Ríos, Chris Young, Shane Victorino, Edgar Renteria, Rickie Weeks, Kurt Suzuki, Ken Griffey jnr, Carlos Zambrano, Tim Lincecum, Joakim Soria, George Sherrill, Jon Rauch, Jack Cust, Joey Votto, Jason Giambi, Francisco Liriano, Adam Wainwright, Chien-Ming Wang.

5 top 40 players including the top overall rated hitter, the leading HR, RBI guy, the 2nd top rated SP and 3rd top rated RP.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sblinyy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:21 pm

FWIW this is what my team now looks like, it is a keeper if I never mentioned that. I was in 12th place at the time I posted that and surged back to 7th place and it came down to the last week to decide if I was the last team in the playoffs or not.

8 Trades and 94 moves later...

C: Ianetta
1b: Pujols
2b: Kelly Johnson
3b: A rod
SS: Stephen Drew
OF: Markakis
OF: Hart
OF: Sizemore
Util: Longoria
BN: Delmon Young
DL: Brandon Phillips

SP: Morrow
SP: Liriano
RP: Brian Wilson
RP: Jensen Lewis
P: Brad Ziegler
P: Chad Qualls
P: Joey Devine
BN: Oliver Perez
BN: Martinez(spot starting spot)
BN: Pavano
BN: Garza

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 pm

How did you get Stephen Drew back? I thought you drafted him and Oswalt for Jeter !+)
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sblinyy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:49 pm

came with pujols !+)

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:39 am

NZ Eff wrote:Good time to revisit again what a small part draft day truly does have on the end result in fantasy baseball. Particularly leagues with daily / unlimited transactions and IP / position maximums.

I'm not sure you can really put a % on any part of a fantasy baseball season....maybe in hindsight you can. The way I see it is if you have a great draft with minimal to no injuries than the draft probably amounted to 75%+ of your teams success that year. If you had a crappy draft and/or alot of injuries then I'm assuming the fa and ww made up most of your team when all was said and done and that part of the game made up the biggest percentage of your teams success.

To me, it starts with the draft....have a good/great draft and everything else is just icing on the cake in terms of improving your team. Your draft sucks or you are unlucky with injuries then you HAVE to make fa and ww moves, that work, or you are SOL.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers