Worst draft ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst draft ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Worst draft ever?

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
the final 25% would be start/sit/platoon decisions, then?

that's roster management ;-)
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:05 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Terrible draft I agree but drafting is only 25-30% of fantasy baseball. It's what you do for the next 6 months that really counts and trading for Jeter is not what you do ;-)

Jeter is on pace for 85 / 8 / 80/ 10 .280. He is so highly over rated in fantasy baseball. Think Placido Polanco for a comparison of production.

Drafting is WAY more important than 30%. Unless you are making a trade every single week, I don't see how you can think that drafting wouldn't be far and away the most important day of the year.

Here's a team you could have built off the free agent list in my league (and probably a lot of leagues) - followed by their current rank

C Benji Molina (109)
1B Jorge Cantu (72)
2B Mark Derosa (91)
3B Joe Crede (66)
SS Christian Guzman (109)
OF Nate McLouth (6)
OF Carlos Quentin (12)
OF Milton Bradley (13)
UT Ryan Ludwick (15)

P Edinson Volquez (9)
P Cliff Lee (18)
P Joe Saunders (47)
P Jose Contrares (51)
P Ryan Dempster (53)
P Todd Wellenmeyer (58)
P Justin Duchsherer (71)
P Jon Rauche (85)
P Brandon Lyon (89)
P Brian Fuentes (160)
P Ryan Franklin (197)

That team would be killing right now and you could have had the worst draft in the world. Granted many will fade - but if you stay active
on the wire you can replace them with others like them who will perform for a couple months.

I had a terrible draft last year and won with the Corey Hart's, Hunter Pence's, JJ Hardy's of the world. This year so far I've had an excellent draft - we'll see how this one ends.
Last edited by dclark0699 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:07 pm

dclark0699 wrote:
tmlfan4ever wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Terrible draft I agree but drafting is only 25-30% of fantasy baseball. It's what you do for the next 6 months that really counts and trading for Jeter is not what you do ;-)

Jeter is on pace for 85 / 8 / 80/ 10 .280. He is so highly over rated in fantasy baseball. Think Placido Polanco for a comparison of production.

Drafting is WAY more important than 30%. Unless you are making a trade every single week, I don't see how you can think that drafting wouldn't be far and away the most important day of the year.

Here's a team you could have built off the free agent list in my league (and probably a lot of leagues) - followed by their current rank

C Benji Molina (109)
1B Jorge Cantu (72)
2B Mark Derosa (91)
3B Joe Crede (66)
SS Christian Guzman (109)
OF Nate McLouth (6)
OF Carlos Quentin (12)
OF Milton Bradley (13)
UT Ryan Ludwick (15)

P Edinson Volquez (9)
P Cliff Lee (18)
P Joe Saunders (47)
P Jose Contrares (51)
P Ryan Dempster (53)
P Todd Wellenmeyer (58)
P Justin Duchsherer (71)
P Jon Rauche (85)
P Brandon Lyon (89)
P Brian Fuentes (160)
P Ryan Franklin (197)

That team would be killing right now and you could have had the worst draft in the world. Granted many will fade - but if you stay active on the wire you can replace them with others like them who will perform for a couple months.

You're on to it ;-D
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sblinyy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:10 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:

I agree, it is more than 30 percent. I mean look at the team that I got stuck with. I check my team 2 times a day. I hunt on the WW, its just a really competitive league. This is what my team looks like now by the way.

C: Posada

1b: Giambi

2b: Cano

3b: Miggy Cabrera

SS: Jeter

OF: Corey Hart

OF: Vlad

OF: Granderson

Util: Milton Bradley

BN: Markakis

BN: Rowand

DL: Furcal

SP: E. Santana

SP: Slowey

RP: Gregg

RP: Brian Wilson

P: Billingsly

P: Rasner

P: Sabathia

BN: Cueto

BN: Saunders

and I will pick someone up from WW because of the Jeter trade.

Anyway I just got offered Damon and Pedro for Rowand and Saunders. Don't really know what to do so any insight would be great. Damon is on the rise. Rowand is doing solid but looks to be slowing down. Saunders looks like he is pitching over his head but he has been doing it all season.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Thumbs down to dropping Konerko and Damon though :-t
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sblinyy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:15 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Thumbs down to dropping Konerko and Damon though :-t

I know about Damon, but I'm glad I dropped konerko. Giambi is doing just fine for me at 1b.

sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:22 pm

sblinyy wrote:

I know about Damon, but I'm glad I dropped konerko. Giambi is doing just fine for me at 1b.

This sums up why roster management is so important and so under valued. Giambi even if fully healthy does not play everyday. If you rely on him at 1B day in and day out you lose a ton of production. Konerko plays every day and for this reason alone is more valuable than Giambi.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sblinyy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:27 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
sblinyy wrote:

This sums up why roster management is so important and so under valued. Giambi even if fully healthy does not play everyday. If you rely on him at 1B day in and day out you lose a ton of production. Konerko plays every day and for this reason alone is more valuable than Giambi.

Can you explain to me why konerko is more valuable than Giambi? more than just he plays more. Because we don't measure value on the person who plays the most.

sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:36 pm

sblinyy wrote:
Can you explain to me why konerko is more valuable than Giambi? more than just he plays more. Because we don't measure value on the person who plays the most.

Umm, actually you do when you have two very similar players.

Both 35-40 HR pop and both incredibly streaky hitters who don't hit for a great BA.

Konerko will have at least 100 AB's more than Giambi this season if both stay healthy. That is a ton of production you are misisng out on by keeping Giambi in your 1B slot.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sblinyy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:40 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
sblinyy wrote:

Umm, actually you do when you have two very similar players.

Both 35-40 HR pop and both incredibly streaky hitters who don't hit for a great BA.

Konerko will have at least 100 AB's more than Giambi this season if both stay healthy. That is a ton of production you are misisng out on by keeping Giambi in your 1B slot.

That's a ton of bad production I am missing out on. So you think Konerko will hit 35 to 40 or are you just saying that he has done it before. Becaue there is no way IMO he will hit 35 to 40. He is currently at 7, along with a .211 batting average.

sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers