Worst draft ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worst draft ever?

Postby sblinyy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:02 pm

12 team, H2h, 5 x 5.

1. (3) Miguel Cabrera 1B,3B Underachiever

2. (22) Vladimir Guerrero OF Underachiever

3. (27) Curtis Granderson OF Underachiever

4. (46) C.C. Sabathia SP Underachiever, but has shown signs of getting it together.

5. (51) Robinson Canó 2B Underachiever

6. (70) Corey Hart OF Solid

7. (75) Rafael Furcal SS amazing, until he got hurt :-P

8. (94) Roy Oswalt SP Horrible, just dealt him and stephen drew for jeter though.

9. (99) Jorge Posada C Was hurt most of the season

10. (118) Paul Konerko 1B Underachiever, had to drop

11. (123) Brett Myers SP,RP Horrible, dropped him, then just recently picked him back up.

12. (142) Johnny Damon OF Dropped him, now someone else is reaping the benefits.

13. (147) Chad Billingsley SP,RP Solid

14. (166) Jeff Francis SP dropped

15. (171) Kevin Gregg RP Alright I guess

16. (190) Brian Wilson RP Alright

17. (195) Matt Garza SP dropped

18. (214) Ryan Garko 1B dropped

19. (219) Zack Greinke SP,RP was doing good until recent past, I dropped him.

20. (238) Joe Saunders SP Best pick of the draft

21. (243) Melky Cabrera OF dropped

This is the worst team ever. I'm trying to move cabrera for what value I can still get. I am in 11th place. So is this the worst draft ever or did any of you have worse? Also, I should note that I didn't draft this team, I had my brother do it because I couldn't make the draft. He knows a lot about fantasy he just got unlucky and drafted all the underachievers. I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Worst draft ever?

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Terrible draft I agree but drafting is only 25-30% of fantasy baseball. It's what you do for the next 6 months that really counts and trading for Jeter is not what you do ;-)

Jeter is on pace for 85 / 8 / 80/ 10 .280. He is so highly over rated in fantasy baseball. Think Placido Polanco for a comparison of production.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 91)

Postby sblinyy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:11 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Terrible draft I agree but drafting is only 25-30% of fantasy baseball. It's what you do for the next 6 months that really counts and trading for Jeter is not what you do ;-)

Jeter is on pace for 85 / 8 / 80/ 10 .280. He is so highly over rated in fantasy baseball. Think Placido Polanco for a comparison of production.

Did you see who I traded for jeter? You actually think I was better off with stephen drew and oswalt?

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 pm

sblinyy wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Terrible draft I agree but drafting is only 25-30% of fantasy baseball. It's what you do for the next 6 months that really counts and trading for Jeter is not what you do ;-)

Did you see who I traded for jeter? You actually think I was better off with stephen drew and oswalt?

Without a doubt.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DeadWinterDay » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:18 pm

sblinyy wrote:

drew is servicable, and oswalt still has a chance to turn it around or have a hot streak...but ouch man thats a pretty unlucky draft, i was high on MCab this year along with many others
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmlfan4ever » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Drafting is WAY more important than 30%. Unless you are making a trade every single week, I don't see how you can think that drafting wouldn't be far and away the most important day of the year.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:53 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:

Drafting is WAY more important than 30%. Unless you are making a trade every single week, I don't see how you can think that drafting wouldn't be far and away the most important day of the year.

30% tops. Trading maybe 5%. Waiver wire use 40% plus.
Roster management is as important as a draft. There's a lot of luck involved in drafts, you win leagues during the season, not on draft day.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:54 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:

No, I think 25-30 percent is pretty accurate. You can't win a league on draft day, although I suppose you can lose one. And trades aren't the only aspect other than drafting people. Who to start/bench especially in weekly lineups is so important.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 133)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:55 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
tmlfan4ever wrote:

30% tops. Trading maybe 5%. Waiver wire use 40% plus.
Roster management is as important as a draft. There's a lot of luck involved in drafts, you win leagues during the season, not on draft day.

the final 25% would be start/sit/platoon decisions, then?

i think 30 or so % isn't too far off, for draft value.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Your draft obviously didn't work out very well, but you at least made a lot of intelligent picks. I'm sure you were proud of the team you assembled immediately after your draft finished.

There is an owner in my 8 team league that easily had a much worse draft than you. It was mostly because he had no idea what he was doing. He's a big baseball fan but obviously he doesn't have a clue when it comes to fantasy baseball. He just grabbed a bunch of young developing players with hopes that they would all become stars overnight. The Salty pick 51st overall is especially mind boggling considering he just took Mauer the round before. He's sporting a winning percentage under .200 right now in this H2H league.

SMustangs
1. (3) Johan Santana
2. (14) Ryan Howard
3. (19) B.J. Upton
4. (30) Josh Beckett
5. (35) Troy Tulowitzki
6. (46) Joe Mauer
7. (51) Jarrod Saltalamacchia
8. (62) Edwin Encarnación
9. (67) Delmon Young
10. (78) Willy Taveras
11. (83) Kosuke Fukudome
12. (94) Francisco Liriano
13. (99) Clay Buchholz
14. (110) Matt Garza
15. (115) Andy Pettitte
16. (126) Manuel Corpas
17. (131) Brad Lidge
18. (142) Jason Varitek
19. (147) Luis Castillo
20. (158) Jhonny Peralta
21. (163) Jacoby Ellsbury
22. (174) Boof Bonser
23. (179) Kevin Slowey
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers