Buy low on Pedro NOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buy low on Pedro NOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buy low on Pedro NOW

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Matthias wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I don't think it's possible to buy Pedro low when it's just a couple of starts, but his stock might be a bit low with some impatient owners to warrant dropping him. It depends on who you play with, really.

This is the part that doesn't make sense: an impatient owner would have dropped him 6 weeks ago.

Anybody who has him now is going to give him at least a month to try to get into game form.

Aye, but there are impatient owners and there are impatient owners who will drop him for a hotter pickup than Pedro at the moment. That's what I meant.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flloyd » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:56 pm

I don't get why people are so shocked that an owner of Pedro would be looking to deal him, even if they have held on to him for awhile. In most leagues you have one or two DL spots, so unless you have a bunch of injured players there really isn't any cost to holding on to them. Plenty of times I see people mention on this very forum that they're holding onto player X on the DL but they're going to try to deal them as soon as they have their first healthy game.

I was reading a blog that kept saying that Smoltz owners should sell him as soon as he got off the DL. I thought he was going to be fine once he became just a reliever so I ignored that advice, obviously that turned out to be a very big mistake. Lot's of people are risk adverse and will be looking to quickly deal players off the DL, whether they have a good start or bad. Making a buy low offer on a player who's had a couple bad starts is definitely a good idea if you think that they're healthy and will pick it up, an plenty of people will be glad to get them off their hands.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Yeah no matter what, it can't hurt to ask. I'm sure owners of Pedro aren't thrilled w/ him, maybe DL'ed him waiting to see how he'd look when he came back. Well, his numbers haven't been great, so there's always the chance that the guy w/ the itchy trigger finger will accept less than full price.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 pm

There are certainly owners out there who held on to Pedro and are looking to move him now that his healthy status is more valuable than that of his DL status. Nobody's going to trade for a question mark on the DL, whose status could turn at any point. Now he's had 2 healthy starts and his velocity is up, so for those who don't think he's going to do a ton the rest of the way, and may have altered their pitching staff during his 61 day stint on the DL, he could certainly be had.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby qhn79 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:04 am

Anyone watch him pitch tonight? I saw pedro got knocked around in the fifth inning tonight, but other than that he look ok?
qhn79
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:10 am

qhn79 wrote:Anyone watch him pitch tonight? I saw pedro got knocked around in the fifth inning tonight, but other than that he look ok?

I would give him a mulligan pitching at Coors.
It probably adds to his buy-low aura as well ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:51 am

He breezed through his first 4 innings and even struck out Holliday in his first 2 ABs. Nonetheless, I have to admit that 5th inning was hella ugly. 2 straight homers and then a bunch more hits to follow...

It was at Colorado, though, so it was a hard start to use anyways. I like him much more next week pitching at home vs. Seattle.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scout » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:16 am

freeling_prideful wrote:He breezed through his first 4 innings and even struck out Holliday in his first 2 ABs. Nonetheless, I have to admit that 5th inning was hella ugly. 2 straight homers and then a bunch more hits to follow...

It was at Colorado, though, so it was a hard start to use anyways. I like him much more next week pitching at home vs. Seattle.

Unfortunately his next starts appear to be against the Yankees and then the Cardinals (who should have Pujols back by then).
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ha_jai » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:09 pm

As a Pedro owner, I am getting increasingly concern with using him as a viable SP. He won't be pitching deep into games so unless the Mets get an early lead, he chances for a W will be slimmer. I am still unsure as to whether he is still clearing rust from his DL stint or eroding skills as he was fine through the first four innings in Colorado. But I am going to give him one more start and evaluate him again. The Pedro of years past has a pretty good record at Yankee Stadium, and I think the competitor in Pedro will enjoy the big time atmosphere in the Subway series.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Scout wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:He breezed through his first 4 innings and even struck out Holliday in his first 2 ABs. Nonetheless, I have to admit that 5th inning was hella ugly. 2 straight homers and then a bunch more hits to follow...

Unfortunately his next starts appear to be against the Yankees and then the Cardinals (who should have Pujols back by then).

vs NYY: 31 GS, 11 - 10, 211 IP, 257 K, 3.03 ERA, 1.05 WHIP
vs StL: 10 GS, 4 - 4, 77 IP, 89 K, 3.27 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

That may not be a bad thing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers