Buy low on Pedro NOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buy low on Pedro NOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buy low on Pedro NOW

Postby jdsun1 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:55 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I don't really see how today's game provides a push to go buy him. He finished with a line of 7.20 ERA and 2.00 WHIP. He had a really bad day.

I agree. Absolutely no reason to buy low on him. I'd be targeting Aaron Harang if I were you.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:50 am

Do you honestly think that a Pedro owner who has been holding him on the DL for two months would be willing to sell him low after his first start?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:29 am

Yoda wrote:Do you honestly think that a Pedro owner who has been holding him on the DL for two months would be willing to sell him low after his first start?

It's been 2 starts and he's put up unexceptional numbers in both of them. But if you dig deeper, I think there's a lot more potential.

My point is, you could approach the owner and say, "Wow, Pedro had like a 5.something ERA and 1.5+ WHIP and he was pitching against SF and SD...that sucks." And then maybe get Pedro as a throw-in on another larger trade, or maybe swap him for a less important offensive bench player.

My 3.00 ERA and 1.10 WHIP prediction was pretty ambitious, but remember that in 05 Pedro was only throwing 86-90 mph and was around 2.8 ERA and 1.00 WHIP. If his stuff has not declined from that point, then there's no reason he can't do more of the same. His 06 numbers only look so bad b/c, after 2 or 3 solid months to start the season, he got injured and did horribly in the second half.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 am

freeling_prideful wrote:
Yoda wrote:Do you honestly think that a Pedro owner who has been holding him on the DL for two months would be willing to sell him low after his first start?

It's been 2 starts and he's put up unexceptional numbers in both of them. But if you dig deeper, I think there's a lot more potential.

My point is, you could approach the owner and say, "Wow, Pedro had like a 5.something ERA and 1.5+ WHIP and he was pitching against SF and SD...that sucks." And then maybe get Pedro as a throw-in on another larger trade, or maybe swap him for a less important offensive bench player.

My 3.00 ERA and 1.10 WHIP prediction was pretty ambitious, but remember that in 05 Pedro was only throwing 86-90 mph and was around 2.8 ERA and 1.00 WHIP. If his stuff has not declined from that point, then there's no reason he can't do more of the same. His 06 numbers only look so bad b/c, after 2 or 3 solid months to start the season, he got injured and did horribly in the second half.

No one doubts Pedro's abilities on the mound. The point is, unless you are dealing with an absolute dumbass owner, you are not buying Pedro low after he's been out for two months and just coming back.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
freeling_prideful wrote:

No one doubts Pedro's abilities on the mound. The point is, unless you are dealing with an absolute dumbass owner, you are not buying Pedro low after he's been out for two months and just coming back.

Bingo.

Offensive bench player? Seriously? As Yoda said, I did not have Pedro sitting on my DL for 2 months to trade him to you for Jason Werth just because you can try to sell me some garbage about a high WHIP and ERA. Now, if it's 4-6 weeks from now and every one of Pedro's starts he has a WHIP of 2.00 and an ERA of 7.20 then I'd deal him as a sweetener to a larger deal.

But then of course you wouldn't want him. Then you'd be pitching me for Carpenter.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Doesn't mean there's no use in attempting. Who knows what the guy who owns him thinks.

Looking at the numbers on their own might lead certain owners to believe he's not fully recovered from his injuries and might get hurt again. You just never know. I appreciate the observations made and have thrown up a couple offers for him in my leagues.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:13 pm

I don't think it's possible to buy Pedro low when it's just a couple of starts, but his stock might be a bit low with some impatient owners to warrant dropping him. It depends on who you play with, really.

Anyway both of Pedro's outings seemed fluky and even though a 3.00 ERA/1.10 WHIP sounds really optimistic, he'll be fairly productive from here on out should his health hold up (I'm not expecting #1-2 stuff, mind you). That said, I'm pretty happy picking him off of FA in the only league he was available in when he hit the DL and stashed him ever since.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:35 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I don't think it's possible to buy Pedro low when it's just a couple of starts, but his stock might be a bit low with some impatient owners to warrant dropping him. It depends on who you play with, really.

This is the part that doesn't make sense: an impatient owner would have dropped him 6 weeks ago.

Anybody who has him now is going to give him at least a month to try to get into game form.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jealousblues » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:35 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i "bought low" when i stashed him on my DL after someone dropped him. :-D

me too
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Ursa » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 pm

I won't be buying low. I was one of those that drafted him low and stashed him. Other posters are right to say any savvy owner will give him a month at least and also carefully consider matchups too.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers