Observations from the D-backs game(s) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Observations from the D-backs game(s)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Observations from the D-backs game(s)

Postby ab » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:25 pm

I've been watching a lot of D-backs games this year, and I thought I'd let you guys know the significant things I saw today -

Chris B. Young
The game isn't over and he hasn't stolen a base yet, but it's pretty obvious that Bob Melvin has taken the brakes off. CBY was taking a pretty aggressive lead off 2nd when I was watching and actually took off for 3rd twice, but the batter fouled it off the first time and the second time Upton lined it to the Bucs' shortstop. He really should have had TWO homeruns so far today - one hit was a broken bat double and the other he CRUSHED to the deepest part of the field for a fly-out at the warning track. I know his #s aren't too impressive right now, but he has to start producing soon the way he's hitting the ball. And I think Melvin moving him to the fifth spot, which he's probably better suited for anyway, might actually be the reason he's trying to run again.

Justin Upton
I don't know what to tell you here. I've watched quite a few of his at-bats this year, and he rarely has a bad at-bat. It seems like he's been taking a lot of strikes looking, which might be an adjustment thing for him, I don't know. Every time he makes contact, it sounds great coming off the bat. And we know he can hit major league pitches just based on his power output the first month. I just don't know what it's going to take for this guy to really start crushing it. Also, he's obviously EXTREMELY frustrated right now. Seems to me he might need a few days off to clear his head. Hopefully Melvin gives him a few.

Dan Haren
This is just from one game, but he seems to be using his 2-seamer a lot. Don't know if that's significant, but he might be cutting back on to keep the fly balls down. (ok, after I typed that, I checked his FB% and his HR/FB and they're almost exactly the same as his career #s....bad observation)

Orlando Hudson
Look. - I have no problem with Hudson. I think he's a great baseball player. One of the better defensive second basement in the league and an above-average bat at the position. But, with the D-backs lineup, why is this guy still hitting 3rd? Just seems weird to me.

That's all. Take those opinions as you want. I'm a baseball fan, but I certainly am not a baseball player. The highest level I ever played at was the Neighborhood League from the ages of 8-14. And it might as well have been the Neighborhood Fight Club due to the way the games usually ended. But since the observations were fantasy relevant, I thought I'd share...
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers