h2h balance important? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

h2h balance important?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

h2h balance important?

Postby moose32 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Just wanted to get some thoughts on how people view balance in h2h? Right now I'm leading the league in all hitting categories, but got offered a steal of Berkman for Halladay. I throw 6 guys every week: Halladay, Beckett, Maine, Sheets, Hudson, Vazquez. Would you improve your offense even if its the best by compromising your team's balance?
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: h2h balance important?

Postby Howie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:22 pm

In h2h, its all about offense. I usually use my first 4 picks on offense, since offense is more consistent on a week to week basis. If you draft Santana first round, he could have a crappy week and ruin your pitching stats for the week. A player like Holliday wont kill you if he has a bad week. Also, pitchers are much greater injury risks.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Pretty much, yes. I'd take that Berkman deal all day.

Balance is important in H2H, but being less susceptible to week-to-week fluctuations is more important. Loading up on top-shelf batters increases your likelihood that your numbers won't drag week to week. Likewise, strong pitching from top to bottom can decrease fluctuations, but it's harder to do away with 1 or 2 bad starts for the week than it is for strong hitting to make up ground.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:29 pm

Howie wrote:In h2h, its all about offense. I usually use my first 4 picks on offense, since offense is more consistent on a week to week basis. If you draft Santana first round, he could have a crappy week and ruin your pitching stats for the week. A player like Holliday wont kill you if he has a bad week. Also, pitchers are much greater injury risks.

Well, you're also paying for Johan's reliability that he runs into less suspect outings week to week than other SP's too.

However, this just highlights the fact you can create a stellar staff from top to bottom without breaking the bank. For example, this is from one of my teams this year:

Brandon Webb
Scott Kazmir
Chad Billingsley
Dustin McGowan
Ervin Santana
Johnny Cueto
(Francisco Liriano)

This staff has consistently won 4 to 5 of 6 available categories every week (we count holds). It doesn't look like much when considering Cueto is a new acquisition, but I had Lincecum too before I sold him for Sizemore. If I can get Hanley, Braun, Sizemore, Markakis, and CB Young to get going most weeks, I'll have some very, very good balance.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:09 am

You need good pitching to win in H2H. ERA is the tie breaker and so many times a playoff series comes down to it.

I currently have a staff of (keeper):
Johan
Kazmir
Billinglsey
Ervin
Cliff Lee
Kershaw
Joba

I am still not very comfortable with this rotation for the playoffs so I will most likely trade for more pitching down the road.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:16 am

Yoda wrote:You need good pitching to win in H2H. ERA is the tie breaker and so many times a playoff series comes down to it.

I agree completely. ;-D

My cafe league pitching staff is headed by Johan AND Peavy, and I still have enough offense to be very competitive (3rd place).
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:34 am

It is true that ERA is important, but I could also argue that what you should do is draft offense-heavy and then, in the middle rounds, get some high-ceiling starters and pick up an elite reliever or 2 before filling out your staff in the late rounds with elite MRs. A RP-heavy staff will generally be better at 3 of the 5 categories (ERA, WHIP, SV) and depending on how you do with midseason pickups/FA acquisitions you could actually compete some weeks in W and K as well.

I agree on taking the trade. Halladay's good but you can stream that starting spot and get results that won't hurt you too badly. Guys like Randy Wolf, Todd Wellemeyer, Jose Contreras, etc. might still be on your waiver-wire, and they are all stream-worthy pitchers.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:00 am

What if your team is balanced but weak? Sure you can consistently score in categories across the board, but your team could just be consistently bad. In that case should you try to make trades to overload certain categories? If so, which ones would you suggest?

This isn't for my team btw, just a general thing I think people may find helpful.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:06 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:It is true that ERA is important, but I could also argue that what you should do is draft offense-heavy and then, in the middle rounds, get some high-ceiling starters and pick up an elite reliever or 2 before filling out your staff in the late rounds with elite MRs. A RP-heavy staff will generally be better at 3 of the 5 categories (ERA, WHIP, SV) and depending on how you do with midseason pickups/FA acquisitions you could actually compete some weeks in W and K as well.

I absolutely agree. There are high-ceiling starters to be had in the middle rounds (Lincecum & Billingsley) and this year, a few were to be had in the late rounds, waiver wire, and FA (Volquez, Marcum, E. Santana, Cueto). By the same token, it's important to not have gaps in your pitching staff. Ideally, you want a guy like Marcum or Ervin Santana to be your "worst" starter. The best-case scenario you can have is to be top-heavy in hitting so as to avoid the week-to-week fluctuations most times while have a staff you didn't spend too much on that keeps you competitive week to week.

JasonSeahorn wrote:What if your team is balanced but weak? Sure you can consistently score in categories across the board, but your team could just be consistently bad. In that case should you try to make trades to overload certain categories? If so, which ones would you suggest?

This isn't for my team btw, just a general thing I think people may find helpful.

Obviously, you don't want to be too good in any one category while struggling to make up in others. So, you have to find a balance between consistency and well, balance. That's kind of the magic you have to come up with in H2H.

I try to overload on batters that will provide strong HR, RBI numbers week to week and aren't a liability in average, while providing a little in SB. The concentration is on power, but also to not shoot yourself in the foot on potentially negative categories. The same applies to pitching, think of wins and K's, but not to affect yourself negatively in ERA and WHIP.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Return to Baseball Leftovers