What is Bruce worth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Bruce worth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is Bruce worth?

Postby mak1277 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Our keeper rules are set up to be very friendly to drafting a strong minor league team. Minor leaguers can be kept for 4 years after their major league clock starts ticking, whereas non-rookies can only be kept for 2 years.

I have Bruce as a keeper for the next 4 years and in each draft he will only cost me a 25th round draft pick (30 round draft). It's a 12-team mixed league and we keep 8 per year.

To me, he seems almost un-tradeable in this set-up, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out.

I just got offered Hamels for Bruce (Hamels can't be kept after this year), and pitching is my biggest weakness.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What is Bruce worth?

Postby mak1277 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Mods feel free to move this to DTKW if needed...I posted here accidentally.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Curtis Pride » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:37 pm

My league has nearly the same setup as yours, and I own Bruce. That's not nearly enough for Bruce.

If you need pitching, target the basement teams and you should be able to get an elite starting pitcher and an elite outfielder for 4 years of Bruce.

Last year, I got Peavy, Miguel Cabrera, and Brian Roberts for Yovani Gallardo (after he'd been a bit more established than Bruce.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby XFactah416 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:My league has nearly the same setup as yours, and I own Bruce. That's not nearly enough for Bruce.

If you need pitching, target the basement teams and you should be able to get an elite starting pitcher and an elite outfielder for 4 years of Bruce.

Last year, I got Peavy, Miguel Cabrera, and Brian Roberts for Yovani Gallardo (after he'd been a bit more established than Bruce.

Wow...

I wouldn't even trade Miguel Cabrera by himself for Gallardo at anytime, even including last year. Then, you include Peavy.. and also a pretty good player in Brian Roberts too? You must've done some smooth talking.

(Hate to bring it off-topic..)
XFactah416
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 84)

Postby jswede » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:26 pm

yea - that's either silly or wrong.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:32 pm

XFactah416 wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:My league has nearly the same setup as yours, and I own Bruce. That's not nearly enough for Bruce.

Wow...

I wouldn't even trade Miguel Cabrera by himself for Gallardo at anytime, even including last year. Then, you include Peavy.. and also a pretty good player in Brian Roberts too? You must've done some smooth talking.

Re-read the league settings that are being discussed then the trade makes some sense.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:13 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
XFactah416 wrote:

Wow...

Re-read the league settings that are being discussed then the trade makes some sense.

I don't know, I still would take three months (or a year and 3 months) of those three players over 3 years of Gallardo.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
XFactah416 wrote:
Wow...

I don't know, I still would take three months (or a year and 3 months) of those three players over 3 years of Gallardo.

Why? You're at the bottom of the basement and have 0 chance of getting to first lets say, so you trade away players who won't help you at ALL because you cabn't keep them, for a playwer who was potentially ace material for the next 4 years before his injury. He could probably have gotten more for those players, but it makes some sense.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
XFactah416 wrote:
Wow...

Why? You're at the bottom of the basement and have 0 chance of getting to first lets say, so you trade away players who won't help you at ALL because you cabn't keep them, for a playwer who was potentially ace material for the next 4 years before his injury. He could probably have gotten more for those players, but it makes some sense.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby flloyd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:26 am

I think that that was a bad trade because surely someone else could have offered him more than Gallardo for those three studs, even if they were just 3 month rentals. It just seems like he probably didn't shop them enough. Even if you're in last place and are going to lose players at the end of the season, you always have bargaining power because other teams in the league also want to win as well and should be willing to give up more than just a single young player for three studs that should practically seal your victory.

Anyway, for the next 4 years I would say that Bruce has value somewhere between Braun and Pence, so deal accordingly.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers