The Unofficial JP Riccardi's "Gotto Go" thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Unofficial JP Riccardi's "Gotto Go" thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Unofficial JP Riccardi's "Gotto Go" thread

Postby powenM » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:32 am

i know this has been brought up from time2time but man i gotta get this campaign rolling.

Be assured Ive followed the Jays right from the beginning(The avatar is just one of my fantasy team names) so im not a hater.

Look at his record:

His determination to cut costs in the scouting department(Not to mention lack of loyalty) has resulted in poor drafting for the most part(again i say for the most part. He has drafted a frew solid kids) resulting too in a less then average farm system.
Not to mention his narrow mindedness when it comes to drafting only college kids for the most part.

Cutting costs has also meant hiring 'no name" managers like John Gibbons, whose managerial decisions & dealing with turmoil often make people shake their heads.

Poor FA signings?

He came with the Billy Beane theory & yet as time has past, whether right or wrong, has changed his plan from year to year.

It just keeps getting worse. This year after cutting another bad FA signing Frank Thomas(I mean 2+1yrs for a 39yr Thomas? Didnt like it from the beginning)& Reed Johnson(who yes is not great) they sign even worse players in SStewart, BWilkerson, KMench(what a waste) & try to shore up their bullpen with scrubs like ABenetiz. Man give me a break!

Ah theres more but just wanted to start the venting. Love to hear what u gotta say or add about this.
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Unofficial JP Riccardi's "Gotto Go" thread

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 pm

I agree. Riccardi must go. And I'm sure mweir can give you at least 1000 reasons why :-D
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Ricciardi has nothing to do with cutting costs. That's on the owner.

He has everything to do with the current personnel, which is very questionable. There is no reason that Shannon Stewart should be in the major leagues right now. He has a .630 OPS, good for 3rd worst in the majors for outfielders that qualify for the batting title. Adam Lind has a .930 OPS in AAA. There's something wrong there.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:13 pm

i havnt liked Ricciardi for years!
his 1st ever draft pick in the 1st round(whatever year it was) was SS Russ Adams. Adams cant even make a major league roster. the next year the Jays took another SS in the 1st round, current 2B Aaron Hill. hes not bad, but not what i would consider a 1st round pick. ive heard people say you dont draft based on positions, you draft the best available player. that wasnt true for the Jays 1st pick the following year, they passed up on a SS they liked after taking a SS the previous 2 seasons and instead went with P Ricky Romero ..and the SS they passed on this year was Troy Tulowitzki.

another thing that has bothered me is a possible trade that Ricciardi said no to. i cant remember the exact year, but back when the Phillies had Thome at 1B blocking a young stud hitter by the name of Ryan Howard. the Jays could have sent SP Ted Lilly to Phily for Howard, but Ricciardi was the one who said no. stu pid!

Ricciardi needs to go, and Gibbons needs to go with him.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 97)

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Ricciardi is useless and I've been panning him on this site for years. The man is tactless and simply cannot put together a successful baseball operation, regardless of the budget he's given (which incidentally has risen considerably in recent years, but that's just meant he could throw the extra down the toilet on decisions like F. Thomas, S. Stewart, Burnett, etc.) This is his 7th year and the Jays have never even been in a September playoff race the entire time, which says enough. This would be more palatable if the Jays had a bright future, but by all respectable accounts the Jays have one of the weakest minor league systems in baseball.

Fire the man. Yesterday.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silverZ » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:57 am

Picking Stewart over Reed Johnson was the nail in the coffin for me. Stewart rolls his ankle today and hit the ground like he got shot. It brought back memories of Vince Carter, except Carter actually had a ton of talent. Reed isn't the best hitter in the world (still better than Stewart), but he's hell of a defensive player and brings a lot of toughness to the table. Cutting him for Stewart was idiotic. JP has to go. :-t
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Doughhead » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:23 am

His record is certainly less than stellar. In his tenure in Toronto, the best bat he and his staff have developed (at least that's made it to the bigs to this point) is Aaron Hill. He inherited Wells and Rios. I'll give him credit for a few good trades (acquiring Ted Lilly for Bobby Kielty, Accardo for Hillenbrand, and, to this point at least, Rolen for Glaus). But his MO seems to be to compensate for his poor drafting and inability to make meaningful trades by signing borderline veterans. Some work out (Matt Stairs), but most don't (Ohka, Thomson, Zambrano, Benitez, Stewart, etc.)

Perhaps the best indication of Ricciardi's questionable talent evaluation skills lies in an inexamination of the people he didn't bring in (for big bucks in most cases), but reportedly wanted to: Brian Giles, Matt Clement, Adam Kennedy, Gil Meche. He also chased Brad Wilkerson and Kevin Mench as free agents a couple of years ago, but was outbid (he since acquired both when they were cut by their incumbent big league teams). If he had signed even a few of those guys to the deals that he reportedly offered, he would have crippled the Jays' payroll for years and most likely would not have the job right now.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers