The Letter Under the Pond - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Letter Under the Pond

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Letter Under the Pond

Postby JTWood » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:00 am

Don't know if this is real (a lot of people seem to be taking this at face value), but it is kinda funny:

Recently, a friend of ours, Simon, moved to Over, just North of Cambridge, UK. He was moving to a lovely property, with a nice garden and a pond.

Simon wasn’t so keen on the pond though. It’s not very child friendly, and with two young ones running around the garden, he thought it would be safer to get rid of it.

A few buckets and hours of sweating later, Simon lifted the pond lining to discover a laminated piece of paper sitting at the bottom of the gaping hole that once was the previous owner’s pond.

10th July 2003

To whom it may concern:

If you are reading this then I can only assume that you have removed the pond under which this note was buried.

Of course, as I am not around at the moment, I am not in a position to comment on why you may have chosen to remove the pond and, it is fair to say, that there could be any number of reasons for doing so. I will not try to list those potential reasons right now but there could be quite a lot of them. One of the more bizarre reasons could be that the removal of the pond was the direct result of a bite on the ankle from a Wildebeest, but I shall not speculate.

Anyways, I would like you to be aware that the digging of this pond and it’s subsequent filling with water and stocking with fish and aquatic plants took a considerable amount of personal effort. It’s not just the digging of the hole you know (although clearly that is a major part), but also the consideration that had to be given to the sitting of the pond, its shape and size, its location close to a convenient electrical supply, etc etc etc.

I have to admit that I am a bit miffed about all this. You have just destroyed (yes, I know its a strong word to use but there are principles involved here) something that took me a long time to do. If I came along and destroyed something that it had taken a long time for you to do then I think you would be a bit miffed as well, so just think on that.

Enough of this. Just get on with what it is you think you are doing, you snivelling pond destroyer.

Oh, and by the way, I hope your head falls off.

Link to article and photo of the real letter
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Letter Under the Pond

Postby RugbyD » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 pm

If it's real, what an ass. When that person sold the property, they got paid for their sweat equity and have no claim to make. If they died before selling, they enjoyed their work to its full value until their death and have no claim. Jerk. :-t
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Note to self: Rugby can't take a joke. :-D ;-)

I think it's hilarious and hope the new homeowner took it that way. No way a sane person can expect someone else to value something he worked on as much as he does. I spent nearly a year (big break for winter) building a treehouse in my backyard for my kid and the neighborhood kids and it'll certainly make me sad when/if I find out it's been destroyed. But I put it up pretty good so it'll probably be just as much work taking it down than it was putting it up. :-D }:-)

Here's a picture of the treehouse:

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Note to self: Rugby can't take a joke. :-D ;-)

I think it's hilarious and hope the new homeowner took it that way. No way a sane person can expect someone else to value something he worked on as much as he does. I spent nearly a year (big break for winter) building a treehouse in my backyard for my kid and the neighborhood kids and it'll certainly make me sad when/if I find out it's been destroyed. But I put it up pretty good so it'll probably be just as much work taking it down than it was putting it up. :-D }:-)

Here's a picture of the treehouse:

Your kid could've built a better treehouse with his own two feet. Don't think that's worth bragging about either, no? }:-)

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 pm

That may be but he'd have to use my tools. :^
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk