Two deep deep sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Two deep deep sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Two deep deep sleepers

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:55 am

I was looking at 2 very deep sleepers for the end of the year. We're at a time when (especially in deep leagues) the waiver wire is bare, and these 2 guys are avaliable in almost any league....

1. Russell Branyan- This guy hasn't played full-time in a long time, but when he does play, he's shown he has 30-40 HR power (over a full season of plate appearances). It also seems like hes in a full platoon in Mil right now with Bill Hall (Branyan hitting vs. RHP). While this guy will hit .240 for you if you're lucky, it also seems quite possible that you could get 15 more HR out of him down the stretch. In addition, he's crazy hot right now, so if you need a short-term power bat, he could be a decent option.

2. Edgar Gonzalez- Iguchi is going to miss 4-to-6 weeks on the DL. Gonzalez should be picking up most of the ABs at 2B in the meantime. He's been a great hitter in the minors in terms of BA (career .300 minor league hitter), especially over the past few years. He's a 30-year old rookie, so that's a knock against him. He also hasn't shown a heck of a lot of power or speed in the minors (though he did swipe 15 bags last year in AAA). His minors BB/K ratio is nothing special. However, in deep leagues, finding a 2B who can produce at all can be a challenge.

Any more thoughts on either of these guys? (They really probably don't have any value except in 20-team leagues or AL/NL only leagues, so I'm more asking for thought on their value in this type of context....)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Two deep deep sleepers

Postby seniorpaul » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:48 am

Another thing to note: According to local papers and radio, Billy Hall has asked to be traded. Obviously, we don't know if the Brewers would even consider it, but if they do move Hall, Branyan could end up with substantial playing time.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Danimal » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Branyan is more appealing if your league does not count strike outs.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Unless you are desperate in the short term I wouldnt look at Branyan. Hall will still get some PT unless/until he is traded, and we may see Gamel or LaPorta before the end of the season.

I would look to see if either of the Alex(e)i are available. Ramirez looks like hes won the job from Uribe, and Casilla has plus speed and a decent bat. Also Kory Casto if Zim's injury persist.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danimal » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:37 pm

I agree. Despite my earlier post, I think Branyan is a very short-term solution.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers