So My Bruce Trade Was Vetoed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So My Bruce Trade Was Vetoed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: So My Bruce Trade Was Vetoed

Postby rcarena » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:32 am

Dude doesn't know what he's doing as commissioner. Not much you can do, but cut bait next year with the league.
Points, 14 player keeper
C - Navarro/Flores 1B - Helton/Butler 2B Roberts/Ramirez/Weeks 3B Encarnacion/Gordon SS Tulowitski/Jeter OF Ellsbury/Guerrero/McLouth Damon/CB Young SP Lincecum/Lackey/Shields/Sheets/Danks/R. Johnson Parra/Gallardo RP Nathan/Saito
rcarena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:44 am

rcarena wrote:Dude doesn't know what he's doing as commissioner. Not much you can do, but cut bait next year with the league.

Yep fraid that's all you can do. If you feel like the league has really been inappropriate or unsportsmanlike, you can even cut out now. Not that I recommend bailing on leagues in general at all, but if the league's been nasty to you, why bother.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ldmariodl28 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:49 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
rcarena wrote:Dude doesn't know what he's doing as commissioner. Not much you can do, but cut bait next year with the league.

Yep fraid that's all you can do. If you feel like the league has really been inappropriate or unsportsmanlike, you can even cut out now. Not that I recommend bailing on leagues in general at all, but if the league's been nasty to you, why bother.

Heh, I wont do that. This just motivates me more to win the whole thing. Seriously, with their mentallity, I have no excuse but to win the league and with the lineup and rotation I have put together, along with some spot starts here and there, I should be able to do it.

Its kind of funny, the only two owners in the league (out of 7) that have really taken a chance on UNPROVEN players, are sitting #1 and #2! I am the one in #2
ldmariodl28
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ryanbraungod » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am

ldmariodl28 wrote:So my Bruce trade was vetoed. I was giving up Jay Bruce, and Yunel Escobar (Players the other guy wanted) for Roy Halladay & Carlos Guillen.

This was the post on the message board that the commish left:

"I agree with Mike that this trade is absolutely ludicrous. Trading a guy you drafted in the NINETEENTH round and some guy (even though he is "supposed" to be the next Ryan Braun) you picked off waivers a week ago for two established, proven all-stars in Cy Young winning Roy Halladay, one of the best pitchers in the game and another proven allstar like Carlos Guillen. I know you're in panic mode now that you've traded Webb but you'll have to do A LOT better than this to fill that void in obtaining Roy Halladay dude. This trade simply doesn't fly with me."

Your commish is a moron... that trade is very fair... just because you drafted those guys late/waiver wire it doesn't mean they aren't more valuable than guys drafted in rounds 5 and 6... your gm know anything about fantasy baseball? Halladay is solid but nothing amazing in fantasy baseball and guillen is solid, but I wouldn't say he is much better than escobar ( if at all)... Bruce could be a top 40 pick next year... you should show your commish the answers people are giving on this site... that trade is fair.... leave that league next year... it isn't fun to play with dumbasses...
ryanbraungod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KrunK » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:59 am

ldmariodl28 wrote:So I directed the commish to this board to see this thread, and this was his responce:

"Dude, what are u doing? Asking other "people" what they think of the trade? Who
are these so called "experts" huh? Don't u know enough about baseball not to
have to concur with others about what trades u make and what ur lineup now looks
like and whatnot? Wow, I've never seen this done before, talking about being
OVER active. Bottom line, not just me, but others felt the trade was unfair,
thus the veto. I also don't appreciate those "others" talking shit, they're
retarded. Of course u look at rounds players were drafted in and what they've
done in past years! What else is there??? Literally the dumbest thing I've ever
heard. Sry dude, u guys can work something else out if u really wanna make the
deal work, one that will fly with the LEAGUE, not just me"

Judging by the way the commissioner types I think we all now who the "retarded" one is. Definitely bail out of that league next season if you have any connection with it.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:59 am

ldmariodl28 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:

Heh, I wont do that. This just motivates me more to win the whole thing. Seriously, with their mentallity, I have no excuse but to win the league and with the lineup and rotation I have put together, along with some spot starts here and there, I should be able to do it.

Its kind of funny, the only two owners in the league (out of 7) that have really taken a chance on UNPROVEN players, are sitting #1 and #2! I am the one in #2

Yeah, that's a good attitude. All I'm saying is that if you're in a league where people veto your trades unfairly (and perhaps don't do the same to other league members), then that's a waste of time altogether. But, go get 'em for sure.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AllDay » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:33 am

ldmariodl28 wrote:So I directed the commish to this board to see this thread, and this was his responce:

"Dude, what are u doing? Asking other "people" what they think of the trade? Who
have to concur with others about what trades u make and what ur lineup now looks
deal work, one that will fly with the LEAGUE, not just me
"

I think he explains himself well, and I suspected from the title of the thread that your sole purpose for posting this was to to jump up and down and show your commissioner that people who aren't in your league think the deal shouldn't be vetoed.

Most in here stick with the pretty unimaginative 'no collusion no veto' rule - which is fine for them, but they should also respect another managers right to veto. I'll veto whenever I chose, thank you very much.

In this case it sounds like it is more than just the commish.

You would have been better off having both managers post why they wanted the deal and re-submit it. Now you may have irked others and their responses may no longer be based completely on the merits of the trade itself.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby noseeum » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:38 am

AllDay wrote:

deal work, one that will fly with the LEAGUE, not just me
"

I think he explains himself well, and I suspected from the title of the thread that your sole purpose for posting this was to to jump up and down and show your commissioner that people who aren't in your league think the deal shouldn't be vetoed.

Most in here stick with the pretty unimaginative 'no collusion no veto' rule - which is fine for them, but they should also respect another managers right to veto. I'll veto whenever I chose, thank you very much.

In this case it sounds like it is more than just the commish.

You would have been better off having both managers post why they wanted the deal and re-submit it. Now you may have irked others and their responses may no longer be based completely on the merits of the trade itself.

Allday, while I disagree with some of your points regarding vetoes, I think your last point is a good process to use. Unfortunately, it's not this owner's fault it wasn't. It's the commissioner's fault.

I may be wrong here, but judging from the original post, it appears the league is setup as commissioner approval, not league vote. It appears the commish saw the deal, chatted with another owner or two, and dropped the hammer without talking with the two owners in the deal. So the commish made a rookie mistake here.

I wouldn't quit this league. It sounds like it's a less experienced league. The rest of us shouldn't jump down new player's throats. We all had to learn these lessons too. Ldmariod, forget about this deal because the commish will just get all bent out of shape. Instead tell him there needs to be a more fair process for him to approve trades because right now he has a huge conflict of interest as an owner in the league.

Suggest to the league that if the commish has a problem with a trade, he must first give each owner in the deal a chance to explain their reasoning. And second, if their reasoning is defensible, the trade MUST go through. It's the only fair way to do commissioner approval setups. I like commish approval better than anonymous votes where people don't even have to stand up and admit they rejected a deal.

And then once you get that setup, in a couple of years, hopefully you can get rid of vetoes altogether. Here's a little light reading for you:

Probably the best article I've read explaining the idiocy of vetoes:
http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.a ... ng%20Rules

More for fun:
http://www.fantasybaseballgenerals.com/ ... do-it.html

A little more irreverent take on the issue:
http://razzball.com/i-protest-your-prot ... ank-blank/
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:56 am

worst commish/league-mates ever :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Matthias » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:24 am

bad commish... blah blah blah... no veto except for collusion... blah blah blah... weak league.... blah blah blah... find somewhere else to play next year... blah blah blah... you're such the victim here... blah blah blah... i can't believe this.... blah blah blah....

i think that about covers it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers