Boston/Rays Suspensions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Boston/Rays Suspensions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Boston/Rays Suspensions

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:00 am

Alright, let's all just calm down a bit here. Coco definitely got what he deserved when Shields hit him with that pitch. Coco was mad from the night before when Aki blocked the bag which is really just part of the game. So, Coco then went in cleats up the 2nd time which, I thought, was a spineless move. In his mind he was probably trying to send a message, but we all know what that leads to in this game. Coco knew he was going to get hit the next day and we all knew it too. Do I think he deserved to get piled on and beaten down by 5 guys at the same time, no, not really, but when you charge the mound, all bets are off. If he did get really hurt, he would have had no one to blame but himself.

The Rays reacted quickly and defended Shields and I applaud them for that. If I was a Rays fan I would be really upset that Shields also got piled on and if you saw the tape from when he got flung to the ground by Demarlo Hale, he really could have hurt his pitching shoulder. It really was an awkward fall. Ultimately, Coco got what he deserved. He's a punk and if you listened to his comments after the game, he truly defined himself as a classless player calling the Rays players "girls".

Let's also keep in mind that just because one person with a Boston allegiance takes a stance that appears arrogant, does not mean that all Boston fans feel that way. I think what Coco did was an example of him trying to remind the Rays that they "used to be" a doormat franchise, which they are obvioulsy not anymore. I think he was trying to establish the idea that Aki should not have blocked the bag against him, because he plays for the Sox. I also think Coco is a punk and that his actions could have really hurt himself, Shields or one of the other players who ended up in the brawl.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the two teams play again, I just hope we can get back to playing baseball and keeping all the nonsense out of it.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:33 am

Wow. Excellently put. Keep making posts like that, and you might start giving Sox fans a good name. We can't have that... :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:50 am

Inukchuk wrote:Wow. Excellently put. Keep making posts like that, and you might start giving Sox fans a good name. We can't have that... :-b

;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby cstorms » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 am

damn, i was rather enjoying the beat down, but i agree, very well put and way to rescue your teams reputation in this small corner of the cafe ;-D
cstorms
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Let's also keep in mind that just because one person with a Boston allegiance takes a stance that appears arrogant, does not mean that all Boston fans feel that way.

Very well said. I agree with you - great post. Here's the thing, though. When you read stuff like this...

thejusman1 wrote:The Red Sox are perennial playoff contenders every year, and will continue to be for a very long time - and yes, they do it with a level of class unbeknownst to Florida dwellers. They play for a city that demands nothing less but excellence and herculean effort. We defend ourselves from brutes - those disgraceful baseball players who actually think it's okay to dogpile one person with 4 others and pummel him while he's on the ground, shielding his face.

...it doesn't do much to help the image, does it? I mean, there's arrogant and then there's arrogant. Like I said, I agree with you - hasty conclusions are bad. But come on - the reputation that Boston fans have - you can't just pretend it's all false, right? That it's all out of jealousy or something? The attitude on display in the above quote may not be the voice of every Boston fan, or even the majority of them - but it is a loud one, and it's one that a lot of people have a problem with. It also does nothing but make the lot of you look bad, which is why I sincerely appreciate posts like RedSoxNation04's.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby skjelstrom » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:08 pm

I like most of the boston players I just think Coco is a punk and he got what he rightfully deserved. But I also love how jusman1 thinks the sox are amazing because they pick solid talent. They are amazing because they can buy solid talent and thats just about it. If they had a payroll the size of Tampa Bay they wouldnt have won nearly as often. Tampa Bay and a lot of other teams have to go off of good instinct and picking solid talent. If Boston doesn't pick well one year they buy what they need to win.... I don't really think thats talent at all. But yes I think the suspensions were fair overall.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:12 am

Only a week until round 2... I'll be tuned in...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 am

Maybe if ya'll in Florida and elsewhere showed up to your own team's games, they would have some talent to buy like the Red Sox and the Yankees. It's a shocking concept, isn't it? Teams earn more money with higher attendance, thus fielding better teams which attract even more fans and more money. Funny how a successful business model works. So yeah, our enthusiasm for the hometeam, our love for players who try (Pedroia, Ellsbury), and our hatred for players who don't (JD Boo of last year) - it's what makes this town a baseball town.

I can't believe you guys don't see the hypocrisy in calling me ignorant or one-sided when the person leading the RedSox-bashing is a diehard Tampa Bay fan. Get your Boston hatred out of your own blinders and see who is leading the charge, lol.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 am

The population of both cities have mentioned also help the cause for getting fans in the stands.

And buying championships is great right? I mean its only taken you guys 80 years to get it done correct?
and the Yankees have been trying to for the past 7 years and cannot buy one.

We all are pointing out the fact that you are ignorant due to the fact that you thing Coco Crisp was right. That is just idiotic.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates