The official: ESPN IS GARBAGE thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The official: ESPN IS GARBAGE thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The official: ESPN IS GARBAGE thread

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Please post your gripes here.

I can't understand why they don't they have any other major competition? Some billionaire needs to step in and create a high quality alternative. I enjoy watching the local stuff, but ESPN is really outlet that covers national stories 24/7. I've got to the point where it's almost painful to watch the channel, but I always find myself flipping back to it.

Today they literally discussed whether Pierce "faked" his injury last night for almost the entire day :-? . Bill Plaschke was crying conspiracy. ESPN needs to create a controversy with EVERY story. Why can't we just enjoy the sport for what it is?
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The official: ESPN IS GARBAGE thread

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:25 pm

The last straw for me was the popularity contest they did with today's athletes. The only thing worse I could imagine would be Paparazzi shots of athletes.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DaShiz23 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:27 pm

The biggest gripes I have are:

1) East Bias

2) All these local journalists trying to make a name for themselves on ESPN, instead of plain reporting!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:29 pm

There is great competition for ESPN, something even better than a new network created by some billionaire. It is the internet. I can find any highlight I want, I can stream podcasts of people I enjoy hearing talk, I can read random blogs or forums for more and better information.

I watch ESPN when they broadcast sporting events.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:38 pm

Tavish wrote:There is great competition for ESPN, something even better than a new network created by some billionaire. It is the internet. I can find any highlight I want, I can stream podcasts of people I enjoy hearing talk, I can read random blogs or forums for more and better information.

I watch ESPN when they broadcast sporting events.

The problem is that internet isn't a perfect substitute. I enjoy browsing the internet but it just isn't as relaxing as watching sports coverage on TV.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:46 pm

You need a better internet.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm

The whole channel is unwatchable. I haven't watched anything but actual sports on ESPN for years.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Field » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Tavish wrote:You need a better internet.

So you're internet comes with a remote which allow you to easily navigate to different websites while laying down?
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Field wrote:
Tavish wrote:You need a better internet.

So you're internet comes with a remote which allow you to easily navigate to different websites while laying down?

Yes.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Some billionaire as in Mark Cuban? :-b The worst thing that can happen is someone with massive deep pockets throw some money into a cable sports venture that becomes something like ESPN. Ever heard of Fox Sports? :-b

As for the Paul Pierce conspiracy, it's of course nonsense. As for Bill Plaschke, he always writes a bunch of bullplop that reflects his sweeping sentiments. We come to expect it every morning in the L.A. Times.

Say what you will about the Internet, but it's a fantastic outlet for sports. You can view sports clips and hear podcasts whenever you want and read/hear/watch wittier sports banter than you otherwise would on ESPN. Personally, I find surfing the Internet just as relaxing as watching TV.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to General Talk