Randy Johnson to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bell » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:40 pm

jumpman8288 wrote:the yanks lost the Arizona series because of defense, thats it

The Yankees were fortunate that they even got a chance to play a game seven.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby diesel99xx » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:39 pm

Yes , the yankees were lucky to get to game 7.Kim blew 2 games for them to get there.otherwise this series was over in 5 games.
Let's Go Mets!
diesel99xx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KULCAT » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:47 pm

lesgrant wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
nsulham wrote:
LBJackal wrote:They don't have to, but they know they'll get a better deal if they do.

They'll get a better deal? How so? The Yankees have almost NOTHING to give up.

They have $$$$$$$$ and have proven to take on hefty contracts. By better deal I don't mean prospects. Why do you think A-Rod went to NY and not Boston? NY gave more cash.

We’ve heard the “Yankees have nothing to trade” bit when Boone went down. Suddenly the Yankees had something to trade. And they, in the near future, will have cards to play in order to fill any holes.

Cash changing hands wasn’t what made this deal go. Soriano, to a team downsizing in payroll, is a much better prospect than Manny with his own bloated contract. Ramirez is due something like $20 million this year compared to 5 and change to Sori. A-rod ended up coming to the Yankees cheaper than what he would have cost Boston because Texas was able to pick up a bigger chunk of A-rod’s contract. Texas saved more money by going with the Yankee’s deal as opposed to absorbing Manny’s contract.

Plus, it’s no secret that Manny’s very temperamental and could clash with someone like Buck Martinez. New York had the better package overall, and executed the deal much better than the Red Sox did.

Cash went both ways in this deal.

Buck showalter right?
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:50 pm

nsulham wrote:What I found interesting is the part about Cashman sticking his nose in. I understand the guy's doing his job but come on, like he's the gatekeeper who allows other deals to happen. No one has to ask for his permission to make deals.

He never said that they did. He heard that RJ might be dealt to Boston and just checked in to see how available he was. People have been saying that the Yankees need a SP yet when they inquire about 1, people have a problem with that as well. 8-o

Nomar4prez wrote:Of course I'd be happy, I'm not a frickin' moron, but I'd rather win one with the guys we have. Saying team chemistry is over-rated really shows your ignorance too. Why did the Sox get so far last year? Why did the Marlins win the World Series last year? Yes, they had damn good teams, but they also had good team chemistry. And NO, I wouldn't be happy if the Sox went out and spent $200 million dollars. In fact, I'd probably be pretty pissed, and I doubt if I'd make my annual trip to Fenway. Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but it's clear as day to me. Maybe I like being the underdog. Maybe, I don't want to be hated by half the country. And maybe, I like to have players on my team who don't make $100 million dollars. I like the players who are getting their first shot at the big leagues, and are playing for their respect, and their next paycheck. Or, most likely, I just really don't like the Yankees, or how they conduct their business. And for your information, no I didn't want Arod to come to Boston.

I find it difficult to have any sympathy when the #2 team complains about the spending of the #1 team. I don't care what the difference is.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby frog99 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:54 pm

baseball is really just a an induval sport disguesed as a team game. lots of teams with terrible chemisty have won, 1917 White Sox, 1927 Yankees, 1970's As, 1970's Yankees,just to name a few.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:02 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Um, don't we kinda need to get young pitching? I mean, the Unit would be awesome, but I don't want to be the Yankees. I actually want to develop young players, not just reload every offseason.

That's a bold statement for someone whose 9 hitters, 5 SP's, and closer are comprised of 8 free agent signings, 5 trades, and 2 draftees. Out of those 2 draftees, 1 is rumored to want to move out West with his wife and can't be pleased with the A-Rod near trade and 1 is rumored to be going to Arizona in the RJ deal. The Yankees even have more draftees on their team than the Sox. ;-)

The Yankees have even developed more players:

Posada
Jeter
Williams
Rivera
Last edited by Lofunzo on Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby frog99 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:08 pm

[quote="Lofunzo"][quote="Nomar4prez"]Um, don't we kinda need to get young pitching? I mean, the Unit would be awesome, [b]but I don't want to be the Yankees. I actually want to develop young players, not just reload every offseason[/b].[/quote]

That's a bold statement for someone whose 9 hitters, 5 SP's, and closer are comprised of 8 free agent signings, 5 trades, and [b]2 draftees[/b]. Out of those 2 draftees, 1 is rumored to want to move out West with his wife and can't be pleased with the A-Rod near trade and 1 is rumored to be going to Arizona in the RJ deal. The Yankees even have more draftees on their team than the Sox. ;-)[/quote]

that is what big market teams do...reload. as for the yankees, they have 3 guys who came up through the farm system. so yes 3 is more than 2, but not much more.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:10 pm

frog99 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Um, don't we kinda need to get young pitching? I mean, the Unit would be awesome, but I don't want to be the Yankees. I actually want to develop young players, not just reload every offseason.

That's a bold statement for someone whose 9 hitters, 5 SP's, and closer are comprised of 8 free agent signings, 5 trades, and 2 draftees. Out of those 2 draftees, 1 is rumored to want to move out West with his wife and can't be pleased with the A-Rod near trade and 1 is rumored to be going to Arizona in the RJ deal. The Yankees even have more draftees on their team than the Sox. ;-)

that is what big market teams do...reload. as for the yankees, they have 3 guys who came up through the farm system. so yes 3 is more than 2, but not much more.

I understand that but I'm not the 1 questioning the Sox technique. I'm just responding to yet another anti-Yankee post.

And the Yankees developed 4 players on their current team (Posada, Jeter, Williams, and Rivera).
Lofunzo

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:54 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

The Yankees have even developed more players:

Posada
Jeter
Williams
Rivera

I could be wrong, but didn't Varitek come up in the minors. And, there's a difference between how the Sox and Yankees bring in players. Most of the players on the sox were not superstars on other teams. There are only 2 I can think of, Manny and Pedro. This year, we did bring in 2 more "stars", Schilling and Foulke, but look at who the Yankees brought in(too many to list).
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:01 am

Lofunzo wrote:
nsulham wrote:What I found interesting is the part about Cashman sticking his nose in. I understand the guy's doing his job but come on, like he's the gatekeeper who allows other deals to happen. No one has to ask for his permission to make deals.

He never said that they did. He heard that RJ might be dealt to Boston and just checked in to see how available he was. People have been saying that the Yankees need a SP yet when they inquire about 1, people have a problem with that as well. 8-o

Nomar4prez wrote:Of course I'd be happy, I'm not a frickin' moron, but I'd rather win one with the guys we have. Saying team chemistry is over-rated really shows your ignorance too. Why did the Sox get so far last year? Why did the Marlins win the World Series last year? Yes, they had damn good teams, but they also had good team chemistry. And NO, I wouldn't be happy if the Sox went out and spent $200 million dollars. In fact, I'd probably be pretty pissed, and I doubt if I'd make my annual trip to Fenway. Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but it's clear as day to me. Maybe I like being the underdog. Maybe, I don't want to be hated by half the country. And maybe, I like to have players on my team who don't make $100 million dollars. I like the players who are getting their first shot at the big leagues, and are playing for their respect, and their next paycheck. Or, most likely, I just really don't like the Yankees, or how they conduct their business. And for your information, no I didn't want Arod to come to Boston.

I find it difficult to have any sympathy when the #2 team complains about the spending of the #1 team. I don't care what the difference is.

Since I root for the #2 team I can't complain about the Yankees? Ya, that makes sense. I'm just as pissed at the Yankees as I am at the small-market teams that pocket their money. And you don't care what the difference is? Well, that proves my point. You don't care about a level-playing field! At the end of the day, you just want to count your trophy's, no matter how much each one costs.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers