Randy Johnson to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:08 am

Who was that I heard on the news last week calling for a salary cap and saying that the Yankees' spending was ruing the game?

oh yeah, John Henry.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:11 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Who was that I heard on the news last week calling for a salary cap and saying that the Yankees' spending was ruing the game?

oh yeah, John Henry.

I guess he knows that there will never be salary cap and after the boss called hima fool he got mad and decided to play hard ball with the boss by aquiring another superstar. The trade dealine this year is goign to be rather intresting i wonder which team is will make another big move :-?
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nuclear29 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:13 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
Nuclear29 wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:
justinA wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Um, don't we kinda need to get young pitching? I mean, the Unit would be awesome, but I don't want to be the Yankees. I actually want to develop young players, not just reload every offseason.

so you're basically saying, you don't want to make it to the world series 6 out of the last 7 years, and you dont want to have 26 or 27 or however many championships? right...... very logical.

(PS, im not a yankee fan, i actually loath them)

I know this sounds weak, and you can call me an idiot(I really dont care), but I want to win a World Series legitamally, with team chemistry, and respectable guys. Thats how the Yankees used to win World Series! Then again, if the Sox do win a world series, Boston will burn down.....

If you won the series, you'd be happy. With some key free agents ready to leave, this would be a really nice legacy to attach your name to (meaning Henry). I would be worried about RJ's knee though.

Of course I'd be happy, I'm not a frickin' moron, but I'd rather win one with the guys we have. Saying team chemistry is over-rated really shows your ignorance too. Why did the Sox get so far last year? Why did the Marlins win the World Series last year? Yes, they had damn good teams, but they also had good team chemistry. And NO, I wouldn't be happy if the Sox went out and spent $200 million dollars. In fact, I'd probably be pretty pissed, and I doubt if I'd make my annual trip to Fenway. Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but it's clear as day to me. Maybe I like being the underdog. Maybe, I don't want to be hated by half the country. And maybe, I like to have players on my team who don't make $100 million dollars. I like the players who are getting their first shot at the big leagues, and are playing for their respect, and their next paycheck. Or, most likely, I just really don't like the Yankees, or how they conduct their business. And for your information, no I didn't want Arod to come to Boston.

Maybe I like losing every year......

Don't give me that playing for your next paycheck and first shot at the Bigs crap either. Who has the 2nd highest payroll? When you try and roll your best OF and a superstar SS and your best Pitcher is a head-case, I'm sure you have wondeful chemistry...
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KULCAT » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:15 am

Any news on this trade?
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dude34 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:28 am

last i heard, Arizona was saying it was false.

PS: the Red Sox are extrely happy with their staff and have enough salary problems next season without adding more.
dude34

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:01 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Winning brings chemistry, or at least the saying of it. Boston nearly won because they were good. They had the best offense in bb. I don't think Bostons clubhouse would ever get labeled a great chemistry? Seattle has one of the best clubhouses around, great chemistry. They haven't won. You don't have to like, or play gin rummy with your team, to win.

I agree with you completely that winning brings chemistry, but I also believe that chemistry brings winning. And, with all due respect, I do believe that Boston had good chemistry last year. NO, all of them didn't play Gin Rummy, or didn't babysit each other's kids, but they were all friends for the most part. For playing in Boston, they seemed to play with not a whole lot of pressure, which, I believe, comes from a good work enviroment. Things like Ortiz giving anyone and everyone a hug after they hit a homerun, or drove in some runs just relaxes the players. IMO, they seemed to be playing for fun last year, which you can't say for many teams nowadays. Although, I am a little biased. :-D
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lesgrant » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:21 pm

LBJackal wrote:
nsulham wrote:
LBJackal wrote:They don't have to, but they know they'll get a better deal if they do.

They'll get a better deal? How so? The Yankees have almost NOTHING to give up.

They have $$$$$$$$ and have proven to take on hefty contracts. By better deal I don't mean prospects. Why do you think A-Rod went to NY and not Boston? NY gave more cash.

We’ve heard the “Yankees have nothing to trade” bit when Boone went down. Suddenly the Yankees had something to trade. And they, in the near future, will have cards to play in order to fill any holes.

Cash changing hands wasn’t what made this deal go. Soriano, to a team downsizing in payroll, is a much better prospect than Manny with his own bloated contract. Ramirez is due something like $20 million this year compared to 5 and change to Sori. A-rod ended up coming to the Yankees cheaper than what he would have cost Boston because Texas was able to pick up a bigger chunk of A-rod’s contract. Texas saved more money by going with the Yankee’s deal as opposed to absorbing Manny’s contract.

Plus, it’s no secret that Manny’s very temperamental and could clash with someone like Buck Martinez. New York had the better package overall, and executed the deal much better than the Red Sox did.

Cash went both ways in this deal.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:15 pm

hybrid wrote:chemistry is overrated? how do you explain the d'backs, angels, and marlins? they obviously had good teams, but to me "chemistry" helped them over the yankees and other probably more talented teams.

AZ is simple to explain. Go look at RJ and Schillings numbers. They were unhittable, they carried the team. Beckett basically carried the Marlins in the post season. Without RJ/Schilling, and Beckett, neither team comes close to winning. The Angels were the worst team i ever saw win, so maybe the rally monkey helped? :-?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:27 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
hybrid wrote:chemistry is overrated? how do you explain the d'backs, angels, and marlins? they obviously had good teams, but to me "chemistry" helped them over the yankees and other probably more talented teams.

AZ is simple to explain. Go look at RJ and Schillings numbers. They were unhittable, they carried the team. Beckett basically carried the Marlins in the post season. Without RJ/Schilling, and Beckett, neither team comes close to winning. The Angels were the worst team i ever saw win, so maybe the rally monkey helped? :-?

let me get this straight.....ok so one pitcher beat the yankees, giants, and cubs and a monkey helped the angels win it? also AZ didn't have any really good other pitchers and it wasn't lik RJ and curt are unbeatable, they paid all that money for offense and still couldn't get past 2 pitchers? seems pretty bad.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jumpman8288 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:31 pm

the yanks lost the Arizona series because of defense, thats it
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers